Magic Biltong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I gotta get one sliced.

sbt.jpg

sbt2.jpg

Had this for years for slicing salumi.
sbt3.jpg

Dang, this looks too simple and to delicious not to try.
Is the eye of round sliced into slabs lengthwise, then cross grain after it is done ?
How do I decide when it is done, just sample til it is to my liking ?

Dang, this looks too simple and to delicious not to try.
Is the eye of round sliced into slabs lengthwise, then cross grain after it is done ?
How do I decide when it is done, just sample til it is to my liking ?
Can't be of much help to you as I've only sampled some that Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ sent to me. But after sampling his...to some extent yes, it's to personal preference. Some he sent was drier than others. Guess I can only compare it with if you like a steak medium rare or medium.

Ryan

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Can't be of much help to you as I've only sampled some that Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ sent to me. But after sampling his...to some extent yes, it's to personal preference. Some he sent was drier than others. Guess I can only compare it with if you like a steak medium rare or medium.

Ryan
MS, I just did my first batch and read that some folks go for 40% weight loss . I didn't bother to weigh but took my skinniest pieces out after 4 days and the fatter pieces out after 6 days. I could have done 5 days on the fatter pieces. I like the "wet" version over the "dry " stuff but that would be personal preference. Easy to make and easy to judge when its done IMHO. I read that if you cut into it and its not done enough for your taste then just dip the cut end in vinegar and rehang ? Very tasty stuff !

Mosparky- I sliced mine with the grain lengthwise about 3/4 to 1 in thick to make the slabs for drying. Then when dried to your liking, you slice across the grain.

Attachments

• biltong sliced1.jpg
    biltong sliced1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Just curious, What needs to be done different to use pork loin instead of beef ?
In my research so far I've seen mention of having to treat pork and some other meats a bit differently, but no explanation. just stay on topic with the red meats (beef, game ect.)
I know I will need to strip the fat cap off and loose the fatty rib end. What else ?
The current cost of beef has me considering a pork alternative.

This has been gnawing at the back of my mind since it was first posted. I need to make a move in this direction.
Anyone get their spices off Amazon ? Specifically Corriander Seeds.
It looks like you can pay whatever you want as prices are all over the place. Sometimes there's a reason (quality), Sometimes it just boils down to greed.
Biltong appears to use a lot of Corriander, Fast. So, I'm thinking a pound at first should get me by for a few batches.
Any Brand I should avoid or recommended ?

You can use a pre mix from Crown National or Freddy Hirsch.
Or make your own.

Mosparky, I get chef's choice at the restaurant depot. Consistent quality and a great price. I buy whole seeds and crush my own...mainly for pastrami. Got 4-5# on hand currently.

Or if you have an ethnic market like Indian around, i got 3lbs of whole coriander for $5

I got impatient and wanted to get my ordering done before The clock ran out on the Inkbird sale. I ordered a pound of Eat Well Coriander and a pound of their Sumac.

I have been making biltong for awhile. Turns out the same each time and I can’t figure out the changes I need to make to, in turn, make it the way I want. The store bought biltong is flavored well and the texture is what I’d like to get to. I see than raisin concentrate is listed for all of them as an ingredient. I have not used it yet. Has anyone tried this and is this the tenderizing element needed to get that result?

I have been making biltong for awhile. Turns out the same each time and I can’t figure out the changes I need to make to, in turn, make it the way I want. The store bought biltong is flavored well and the texture is what I’d like to get to. I see than raisin concentrate is listed for all of them as an ingredient. I have not used it yet. Has anyone tried this and is this the tenderizing element needed to get that result?
Maybe brine longer if your using vinegar and then spicing?? Cut thinner or take out when it is wetter??

Maybe brine longer if you’re using vinegar and then spicing?? Cut thinner or take out when it is wetter??
For brine I’ve done anywhere from 2hrs - 48. Probably made 20 batches total and have decided flavor wise I like 18-24hr. The 2 and 48hr didn’t make much of a difference texture wise. Tried thin cuts and thick cuts. I’ve taken out wetter and to me it makes the flavor just not right. There is the fine line of the flavor with the color & translucency; know what I’m saying?

I always do it at the same temp in my home made biltong box(fan/lightbulb/vented holes top sides). It rolls at 82° each time.

So, maybe it’s a temp deal?

Thoughts?

I have a box with a computer fan only,no light. Maybe it is too much heat and you are getting a skin hardening from drying the outside too quickly before the inside has dried at all???

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky