Lisiecka style Kielbasa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
1. Is There a difference if I cure them for 24-48 hrs before stuffing (as some recipes suggest) or I stuff and let them hang to cure 24-48 hrs?
Either will work fine. Cubing and curing the meat before grinding is the preferred method in Poland. I personally grind, mix and stuff then hold for 48 hours covered so the casings don’t dry out.

2. Some Kielbasa recipes I've seen call for a part of beef in the mix while others (like this one here) uses only pork. What do I get in both cases? 😬
It’s all personal preference.
Beef has the ability to hold more water than pork which potentially makes a juicer sausage, beef also has a deeper color so it looks nice. In this recipe the beef would be about 1/3 as much as the cubed pork and should be either ground through 3mm plate or emulsified or both.
I’m happy with straight pork in this sausage.

3. I wasn't able to get marjorarm...can I use Orégano instead or without marjorarm the thing is definitely ruined?

I would just leave it out.

Here is the link to my recipe

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/kielbasa-lisiecka.312369/

Reactions: I-am-Chorizo
Either will work fine. Cubing and curing the meat before grinding is the preferred method in Poland. I personally grind, mix and stuff then hold for 48 hours covered so the casings don’t dry out.

It’s all personal preference.
Beef has the ability to hold more water than pork which potentially makes a juicer sausage, beef also has a deeper color so it looks nice. In this recipe the beef would be about 1/3 as much as the cubed pork and should be either ground through 3mm plate or emulsified or both.
I’m happy with straight pork in this sausage.

I would just leave it out.

Here is the link to my recipe

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/kielbasa-lisiecka.312369/
My God!

Thanks a lot for your timely feedback. Now I feel ready...this is My first time trying a non-colombian Sausage.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
My God!

Thanks a lot for your timely feedback. Now I feel ready...this is My first time trying a non-colombian Sausage.
Here is another tip.
When making sausage with larger hand cubed meats, it’s better keep the fine ground/emulsified meat and cubed meat separate at first. Place just the cubed meat in your bowl or mixing tub, add the salt and cure #1 and mix the cubed meat well until the outside of the meat gets a little sticky, this protein extraction and is what glues the sausage together. Protein extraction takes a little longer with large cubes of meat.
Once sticky add the fine ground/emulsified meat and spices mix well for protein extraction in the fine ground meat.

Here is another tip.
When making sausage with larger hand cubed meats, it’s better keep the fine ground/emulsified meat and cubed meat separate at first. Place just the cubed meat in your bowl or mixing tub, add the salt and cure #1 and mix the cubed meat well until the outside of the meat gets a little sticky, this protein extraction and is what glues the sausage together. Protein extraction takes a little longer with large cubes of meat.
Once sticky add the fine ground/emulsified meat and spices mix well for protein extraction in the fine ground meat.
The die is cast!/
I hope I did well/
The cut shot will tell/
😬😬😬
Thanks for your generous advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20240501_101027440.jpg
    IMG_20240501_101027440.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240501_103229695.jpg
    IMG_20240501_103229695.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20240501_153327521.jpg
    IMG_20240501_153327521.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20240501_153332730_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240501_153332730_HDR.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks good, but about 1/3 of that meat needs to be ground real fine or emulsified like hotdog meat. This is for filling in the voids of the cubed meat and gives bind and texture.

In other words. 1/3 of the meat needs to be ground to a paste consistency, not just minced.

Looks good, but about 1/3 of that meat needs to be ground real fine or emulsified like hotdog meat. This is for filling in the voids of the cubed meat and gives bind and texture.
Tried My Best with a 3mm plate for the fat and the beef, a 6mm plate for the class II pork and knife-cubed the lean loin. Mixed in the KitchenAid with the salt and the cure#1 at a very low temperature. Once I got unquestionable signs of protein extraction, tossed the spices in...did I screw it?

Tried My Best with a 3mm plate for the fat and the beef, a 6mm plate for the class II pork and knife-cubed the lean loin. Mixed in the KitchenAid with the salt and the cure#1 at a very low temperature. Once I got unquestionable signs of protein extraction, tossed the spices in...did I screw it?
That’s right. That is the right way. I just didn’t have a picture of that, so I thought it was all hand cut and no grinder.

I apologize, I didn’t realize.

Around here you have to show pictures of everything, or it didn’t happen. It’s difficult to explain and understand in the typed word. So pictures are key to understanding what you are doing. This means all major steps

If I may add a couple of my pennies to the pot.....Polish = your choice of meat, S/P Garlic, cured and smoked. Like many latin-ish countries, they have different names for proceedures but not the contents. Size, shape, etc. DO NOT USE OREGANO, unless you want it to have Greek or Italian, or American Italian flavor profile. Marjoram, or skip. So the difference will be in the chew / texture, but likely not the flavor. Many had beef as a moderate percentage of the farce. Use what you have. Cure, Salt and Pepper, and lotsa Garlicky!! Smoke it some, or alot. You can make brats with the same formula, and uncured, and not smoked, it is Bialy Kielbasa -- White Sausage + not smoked!! LOL. Take care, and Keep us up to date. Rex aka Polka.

I love this thread. Time for me to take another shot at Polish Sausage and lots of good stuff here so thanks!!!! Looks Great IamChorizo!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the centerfold shot

If I may add a couple of my pennies to the pot.....Polish = your choice of meat, S/P Garlic, cured and smoked. Like many latin-ish countries, they have different names for proceedures but not the contents. Size, shape, etc. DO NOT USE OREGANO, unless you want it to have Greek or Italian, or American Italian flavor profile. Marjoram, or skip. So the difference will be in the chew / texture, but likely not the flavor. Many had beef as a moderate percentage of the farce. Use what you have. Cure, Salt and Pepper, and lotsa Garlicky!! Smoke it some, or alot. You can make brats with the same formula, and uncured, and not smoked, it is Bialy Kielbasa -- White Sausage + not smoked!! LOL. Take care, and Keep us up to date. Rex aka Polka.
Hi!

Well...I did not use Oregano, but added paprika, and a touch of nutmeg. I hope it is still Kielbasa. Today it is 48hrs of hanging/curing so I'll be smoking in the evening...I think I'll get the Cut-Shot by tomorrow morning...for breakfast, hopefully. By the way...which would be a very Polish way to side Kielbasa for breakfast?

Looks fantastic. I do have to ask what type of wood did you use to smoke with. Wood has a big part in color of the final product.

By the way...which would be a very Polish way to side Kielbasa for breakfast?

This made me smile as I don't know if it's a Polish way but for many many years we have sliced up leftover sausage and garlic and then scramble some eggs in the pan with swiss cheese. One of my Dad's favs. Good memories, thanks.

By the way...which would be a very Polish way to side Kielbasa for breakfast?
I’m not big on Polish cuisine but I love their sausage.

That said, a good Polish breakfast would be something along the lines of potato cakes, kielbasa and scrambled eggs. Over there in Europe the potato pancake is a big thing. Look it up. Can go sweet or savory.

Looks fantastic. I do have to ask what type of wood did you use to smoke with. Wood has a big part in color of the final product.
My Mos honest answer is "I don't really know". Here in my cityI do not have the opportunity to choose since There are no specialized places, but I'll show You the sticks (the only ones bailable) and maybe You might Guess. I think I've just Been lucky.

Attachments

• IMG_20240503_203304144.jpg
    IMG_20240503_203304144.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240503_203152007.jpg
    IMG_20240503_203152007.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 5
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky