Initial burn in, smoke from ash pot?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure I follow. Do you have pics?
Next time I cook, I'll get some pics.

The woodwind has a cup underneath fire pot, and when done with cook, you pull bar to empty ash into the cup. The cup fits pretty loosely. This is where some smoke is escaping.

Reactions: JLeonard
Is the ash dump door completely closed? I don't think I've ever seen smoke coming out of that on my Camp Chef. In fact it closes pretty tight.

I have an older Camp Chef Lux . There is a little latch on the fire cup slider lever to keep it in place, its sypposed to fall into a slot on the rod. If the latch falls down and you close the slider, the latch will hold the slider open just a tiny bit and not allow it to seat properly. Not sure if your new unit has this type of arrangement or not, they may have changed it since, but Ive done it a few times on mine and you do get smoke out the cup.

Hope this helps
Corey

Reactions: mr_whipple
My old Camp Chef has always leaked smoke out of everywhere possible, the ash dump, the hopper, and the grease drain, at start up. Once it gets up to temp it gets better, but they are by no means a smoke tight cooker.
Make sure the small hood on the smoke stack is a touch above the stack, 1/4-1/2" above the stack works best for me.

Is the ash dump door completely closed? I don't think I've ever seen smoke coming out of that on my Camp Chef. In fact it closes pretty tight.
What he said. My SG24 takes a notion to smoke heavily every once in awhile and I've had smoke spewing out around the cook chamber lid, hopper lid, and where you hang the grease bucket. Don't recall any coming out around the ash cup, though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky