Hurricane Irma!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Best of wishes for all of you guys in Florida. I know all my in-laws there are bailing out of the Keys, Ft. Meyer and Naples.. From their prospective, It's easier to return to the damage than survive it.. 

I live in a disaster-free area of the country for the most part but I have experienced a direct hit from a typhoon in Okinawa. Given the chance, I would have gone to Tokyo.. 

I never ran from a storm....until Katrina!  That beast heading straight for New Orleans with 175+ winds, like you said, my house would be gone!  We ran and came back after the storm and then when the levees broke, we left again.  Came back two weeks later when power and water were restored.  Stay safe y'all!

Mike

Poor people in southern Florida.. it's gonna smash the heck out of that area. They really say get out now.. it's gonna hit Sunday..

Early in the morning on August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast of the United States. When the storm made landfall, it had a Category 3 rating on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale–it brought sustained winds of 100–140 miles per hour–and stretched some 400 miles across.

Bummer.. sad for those there.

Last edited:
Sending out prayers that you and Miss Judy and all the other members and their families stay safe Al.

Too bad you all can't haul ass out of there nut I know sometimes that just isn't an option.

So take extra care that you folk come out of this ok. Like Okie said there's always a few lowlifes looking to profit from a disaster. Watch your back.

Talk to you when the power comes back on.

Gary

Keep your head up Al and all other Floridians. I hope she weakens before landfall. Stay safe, and keep us informed when it's convenient. 

Chris

I wish you, your family, and everyone in the path of Irma the best of luck.  I hope the folks of FL pull together like those in Houston and the rest of TX (and our La neighbors) have been pulling together for dealing with Harvey.

If you have time, smoking some jerky of any kind may help if you or anyone else needs some longer lasting food in a pinch over the next couple of weeks :)

Stay safe Al and Judy. You Floridians are some tough cookies.............
flag.gif

Joe

I wish you the best.  My sister and her husband moved to Miami (Kendall) two weeks before Andrew. I went to visit in December, and as my sister said, it looked like a war zone, only without burn marks. Buildings were torn open and apart, there were craters where there used to be trees, and cars were smashed by flying debris like roof tiles.

We took Highway 1 to Homestead. Some neighborhoods were simply gone. There were streets and driveways and lawns but not a trace of any house or tree or even a bush. Mile after mile of freeway fence posts were all bent flat and the mesh was all gone - where did it all wind up?

A Dunkin Donuts shop was badly damaged and the sign said Dun in Donuts which my sister said described the situation. She said it was a hell of an introduction to Miami, but if they had moved there after the storm it would have been impossible to find a place to live.

Edited to add, I'm watching for it on the national radar loop but it isn't within range yet (Thursday evening)..

https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/index_loop.php

Last edited:
Looks like you're gonna get a H1/2 in your area. Better than a H4 but still pretty serious. 70-100 MPH winds are nothing to sneeze about. Hope everything goes well. Hunker down. Best of Luck. You're in our prayers.

Do us a favor and check in as soon as you can, we're all gonna be on pins and needles until we hear back from you. 

Not looking good for us here in Brandon .. we are just an extension of Tampa.. right now, the track goes over us ... took the generator to work today, dropped fuel bowl, cleaned needle and seat, fresh gas, started 3rd pull .. haven't ran it it 10 years ... Coleman is a good one .. used it when hurricane charlie came threw .. we lost power for like 2 days .. hope it doesn't rip up our bbq area ... we just got a new roof year and a half ago..This storm sorta shifted toward us right now ..It's supposed to be a 2 or a 1 by the time it gets to Brandon .. we lost trees ib the yard last time when charlie came through ... hope everyone in Miami area is ok ...

Not looking good for us here in Brandon .. we are just an extension of Tampa.. right now, the track goes over us ... took the generator to work today, dropped fuel bowl, cleaned needle and seat, fresh gas, started 3rd pull .. haven't ran it it 10 years ... Coleman is a good one .. used it when hurricane charlie came threw .. we lost power for like 2 days .. hope it doesn't rip up our bbq area ... we just got a new roof year and a half ago..This storm sorta shifted toward us right now ..It's supposed to be a 2 or a 1 by the time it gets to Brandon .. we lost trees ib the yard last time when charlie came through ... hope everyone in Miami area is ok ...
LOL---Started mine up the other day just to check it---Started hard.

Never started hard before (Honda EU3000i).

Once I got it started I couldn't pull the choke all the way out or push it all the way in, without it conking out. Had to keep it about 1 1/4" out.

Then all of a sudden a mouse ran out of it. Then I could push the choke in all the way. Mouse was blocking something (intake or exhaust) !!!

Ran smooth without the mouse!!

You guys all keep your heads down---Don't take chances!!

Bear

Last edited:
Feel and know your pain and stress. We had no damage at our home from Harvey in Houston last week and expected to be at our hopefully-soon retirement home 14 miles from the coast in Mobile AL. But here comes Irma and too much to do here in Houston to leave. Sounds like you dealt with hurricanes before and know all too well it never is easy. For what it is worth I like looking at all the model tracks at https://www.cyclocane.com/spaghetti-models/  Sometimes, there is comfort in knowing the variance between them but in this case there seems to be a lot of agreement on the track. But, I like them better than all the weather pundits that about drove us crazy during Harvey.

Thanks sundown farms ..we been here in bay area for about 35 years ,, have a rock solid concrete block home .. and have seen some different storms ... if it was coming from gulf of Mexico, straight at Tampa, we would be up at hunt camp in Georgia with our 3 parrots laughing with the fireman ...lol most people I work with, are going to ride it out... Actually, if it is going to be a direct hit, right on line with our home, I have a cousin in cocoa beach, that welcomes us, like w welcome him ...

ok... just checking in from about 30 miles south of Tampa... Palmetto to be exact just a few miles from the mouth into Tampa Bay .. ... started boarding up this afternoon .. gonna try and ride it out if it comes in down in south fl.... They predict it will be downgraded (hopefully) if that happens ... If it swings around land and then predicted to come into the Tampa Bay area like Charlie did in 04... I'm thinking about hauling ass towards Al's neck of the wood's ... I wish it would make a complete U-turn and head back out to sea... but we all know that's not gonna happen ... Don't know how to say it but I hope it keeps going west .... DAMN IT why do we have to have such natural disasters ...

Party Irma I guess ...

Al, Judy ... good luck y'all

To all Floridians ... best of luck to y'all as well ...

Last edited:
Best of luck Al. Stay safe! Luckily it isn't going to hit us in Wilmington NC as hard but prayers for everyone it will hit harder than us!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky