• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

How much to make for a party

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

exc503

Aug 23, 2015
So we are having a party in about a week's time for my daughters 1st, and I am planning on making some pulled pork for it. I have approx 30 guests coming, and have been trying to work out how many shoulders to make. I have a total of 5 in the freezer, maybe more buy when they are on sale and save them, I know I don't need that many thought, I was thinking 3. 

There will be other food, almost buffet style so it is not the only "main." Any thought or experience with this, I don't mind left overs so I am not looking to be at the "just enough" mark. 

drewed

Meat Mopper
Apr 10, 2015
With extra food "buffet style" you should look at 1/3 lb pre-cook weight per person.  1/2 per person if you want a lot of leftover, or your are feeding a rugby team.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
If you start with a 10# bone in butt.

The final yield will be approximately 5#.

At 1/3 lb. person the 10# butt will make 15 - 1/3 lb sammies.

So 2 - 10# butts will feed 30 people.

If you think there a lot of big eaters, just cook 3, cause the leftovers are just as good or better the next day.

Al

exc503

Aug 23, 2015
Thank you. So that should leave me at really about 2, precooked at 16#, so may not need 3. That should make it a little easier. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky