help for a newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

michaman

Original poster
Dec 3, 2018
hello, I recently bought a weber jumbo joe and was excited about smoking meat with it. I bought a chimney starter, a hinged grate, charcoal baskets, and the inkbird Bluetooth thermometer. the other day I attempted to smoke a 3 lb chuck roast. I started charcoal with my chimney, dumped it into a basket, set the meat on opposite end of grill and closed lid. I was able to keep temp at about 250-275 for about 2 hours. When the grill temp started to drop, I added charcoal. I had a difficult time from then on with keeping the grill temp above 200. After many hours of monitoring grill and meat temps and adding charcoal when necessary, the internal temp of the meat never exceeded about 160. I finally gave up and removed meat after about 9 hours, but it was awful. Very tough and chewy. What did I do wrong. Why could I not keep grill temp up? I adjusted the vent many times but to no avail. Any advice will be appreciated, I will not give up. I am determined to get this right. Thanks in advance.

Don't add cold charcoal to "warm" coals. Preheat your next batch of coals in the chimney just like you did the first.

That's the first bit of advice. :-) other than that, practice makes perfect.

Don't add cold charcoal to "warm" coals. Preheat your next batch of coals in the chimney just like you did the first.

That's the first bit of advice. :) other than that, practice makes perfect.
x2 maybe up the amount of charcoal, if you have problems with Temps you could always finish it in the oven

As said above, get your coals going first. You might also want to look into The Minion Method or Snake Method for charcoals.

Other then that, it's practicing a method till you get it down and then practicing on cuts of meat. I'd suggest if you have no dietary or religious reasons, to practice on pork butts for pulled pork. Far more forgiving, and even if you mess up, you can repurpose a pork butt into numerous dishes like chili etc.

Yeah, I also run an electric for those times I just want to set and forget. But the challenge is (SO g✓^'!*?& frustrating) part of the fun!

Ok, now I'm really frustrated. This weekend, I bought a Boston butt to smoke. It was a small one, about 2.5 lbs., only cost $4.74. I added hot coals to grill when needed and was able to keep grill temp up much better. However, I cooked this meat for about 8 hrs and still only got internal meat temp up to about 170. Meat again was not at all tender.

170 is still kind of at the end of the stall. Next time, wrap in foil @ 160. This will help you get through the stall faster.

Also, you may want to look into testing your thermos in both ice and boiling water. You may find that your thermo is reading way high, giving you wrong grate temps.

Ok, now I'm really frustrated. This weekend, I bought a Boston butt to smoke. It was a small one, about 2.5 lbs., only cost $4.74. I added hot coals to grill when needed and was able to keep grill temp up much better. However, I cooked this meat for about 8 hrs and still only got internal meat temp up to about 170. Meat again was not at all tender.
The Stall. It'll last hours. It kicks in and generally 4 hours is a safe bet it can last. I'm also wary to ever cook cuts that small because I simply worry I'll dry em out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky