Pit Boss Temperature Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cmertz

Original poster
Apr 7, 2024
Hello. I am new here and I have a problem that I'm hoping for some advice. I recently bought my first pellet grill / smoker after a lot of research. I bought a Pit Boss Pro Series 1600. I love the grill but I wonder if anyone has had the same temperature issue as me? When I first purchased it, the tempurature that I set it at is actually 30 - 40 degrees lower that the ambient tempurature reads. I also bought the heat deflector after doing more research and after I intstalled it, the temputature that it runs at is almost 100 degrees hotter than what the grill is set at. Once I got to know the grill, I can manage the temp using ambient temp probes. Any advise out there?

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to the site, take the deflector out and contact PB, was the deflect recommended by PB? I would rather deal with the lesser temp issue vs 100 degree over.

Reactions: DemonPit and TNJAKE
Thanks. I actually ordered the deflector pretty much the same time I bought the grill because there were a lot of people with temp issues but their problems were the opposite of mine. Their temps were lower than the grill set point. The PB website has no email or phone number to contact them so I'll have to keep looking.

Hello. I am new here and I have a problem that I'm hoping for some advice. I recently bought my first pellet grill / smoker after a lot of research. I bought a Pit Boss Pro Series 1600. I love the grill but I wonder if anyone has had the same temperature issue as me? When I first purchased it, the tempurature that I set it at is actually 30 - 40 degrees lower that the ambient tempurature reads. I also bought the heat deflector after doing more research and after I intstalled it, the temputature that it runs at is almost 100 degrees hotter than what the grill is set at. Once I got to know the grill, I can manage the temp using ambient temp probes. Any advise out there?
I have the same issue with my PB set temp vs what the outside temp on the lid shows, if I need 225 temp I raise the PB temp to 250 and just monitor with my TempSpike to make sure I’m getting the correct temperature. I agree that I’d rather adjust 30-40 degree difference than 100 over

Best thing to do is ignore the thermometer on the hood. Very few are accurate and they aren't where the food is being cooked.
Get a good remote thermometer that you can use to monitor the grill and the meat.
Put the probe to monitor the grill on the grate 5-6" away from the meat.
You don't want the cold from the meat to affect it's temp.
Then you will be able to see how the set temp of the pit compares to the actual and adjust settings accordingly.

Thermoworks is my preference for remote thermometers, other have their preference.

Reactions: flexster
I took the deflector out of my pb 1100 for running to hot, runs better without it. I use the chimney cover to control heat somewhat, can you adjust yours by twisting it up or down.

Thanks. I actually ordered the deflector pretty much the same time I bought the grill because there were a lot of people with temp issues but their problems were the opposite of mine. Their temps were lower than the grill set point. The PB website has no email or phone number to contact them so I'll have to keep looking.
Danson’s customer service at 480-923-9630 Or 480-542-9449 for information or suggestions for the new app, or operating assistance or for a warranty registration or parts replacement under your 5 year warranty.
In Canada: Phone: 1-877-942-2246 And 877-303-3134 and 877-942-2246 are the Danson’s tech line.
Also definitely leave your phone number for call back if prompted to.

You can also Try the chat feature on the PitBoss website. https://pitboss-

I took the deflector out of my pb 1100 for running to hot, runs better without it. I use the chimney cover to control heat somewhat, can you adjust yours by twisting it up or down.
I took thedeflector out as well. I do have the chiminey adjuster. It,s almost wide open. Pit Boss sent me a new temp sensor and it didnt help. I even went so far as to remove the heat shield that covers the temp sensor. It still runs 30-40 degrees hotter than the set point. If I want to set it at 180, I have to crack open the lid and prop it slightly open.

I took thedeflector out as well. I do have the chiminey adjuster. It,s almost wide open. Pit Boss sent me a new temp sensor and it didnt help. I even went so far as to remove the heat shield that covers the temp sensor. It still runs 30-40 degrees hotter than the set point. If I want to set it at 180, I have to crack open the lid and prop it slightly open.
Is your smoker in the sun, did you try different pellet brands.

The only thing you are doing is componding the problem by proping the door open imo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky