Help: 1st St.Louis spare ribs on pit boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
In bbq don’t push your times that tight, meaning exact. Start early and let the meat tell you when it’s done. You can always wrap and rest done meat. Give yourself some breathing room on time.

On prep get as crazy as you want, but most is not needed. Most of the meat prep advice comes from those following competition cooks, that has little to do with your backyard. Most comp cooks are cooking for judges and it’s all about ONE bite for judging. In my yard I want to eat everything and all of it not just one bite.

Do yourself a favor and start off cooking/smoking at 250/275F on the pit. This solves a lot of common problems, makes delicious food and has a much shorter learning curve.
Ok I'll start at 250/275f, I've read that's best when trying to start out.

Lmao I got soo much to learn.

GMG, Green Mountain Grill.
I know you're new but it's gonna take time for you... we can all give advice, but you'll have to take time to try different methods. What I like and some others like might not be for you. Alot of this ends up as personal preference.

Ryan
Yeah I got a couple friends that compete in competition cooks. & I've tried some crazy stuff from them. Like cupcake chicken!

Yes I'm going to take it slow & try numerous ways.

Thanks.

Thanks I probably will pull the membrane off, just due to a family member having false teeth. Season might soak in a bit more too.
Hey I resemble that remark and I'm not scared of leaving the membrane. LoL
I'm more of a hot and fast cook 300°+ Listening for the hiss and looking for the honey to start oozing. Then waiting for the probe/flex and wrap in paper for the rest/hold.

Reactions: DieselTech
Hey I resemble that remark and I'm not scared of leaving the membrane. LoL
I'm more of a hot and fast cook 300°+ Listening for the hiss and looking for the honey to start oozing. Then waiting for the probe/flex and wrap in paper for the rest/hold.
Yeah I know I'm going to do some ribs like that to, cause I don't wanna wait soo long.

Reactions: JLeonard
I never season overnight but you could trim and pull the membrane if you want the night before to save some time. But it is not necessary. Do a few and you get your system down. Lots of great info here but try to have a game plan and stick with it. I found I psyched myself out my first time and in the end I had good ribs and thought well that was not as crazy as I thought it would be. Just pay attention to your cook and temps as it is a new smoker for you. You got this!! and enjoy it also, it is supposed to be fun right!

I never season overnight but you could trim and pull the membrane if you want the night before to save some time. But it is not necessary. Do a few and you get your system down. Lots of great info here but try to have a game plan and stick with it. I found I psyched myself out my first time and in the end I had good ribs and thought well that was not as crazy as I thought it would be. Just pay attention to your cook and temps as it is a new smoker for you. You got this!! and enjoy it also, it is supposed to be fun right!
Thanks. I appreciate the vote of confidence. Yeah I found out today it takes my grill about a hour or so, before the temps remain constant & consistent 252°f by the pit boss probe & 247°f on my new Thermoworks Smoke X4

Reactions: Redicans
Thanks. I appreciate the vote of confidence. Yeah I found out today it takes my grill about a hour or so, before the temps remain constant & consistent 252°f by the pit boss probe & 247°f on my new Thermoworks Smoke X4
Well that is good info to know right off the bat. Temps are pretty close and may settle out even more once you have food cooking. I should have edited my post. I never season ribs overnight but I have seasoned pork butts and brisket overnight. Kind of depends what you're smoking. I usually season up my ribs a couple hours before I plan to smoke and go straight from the fridge to the smoker so I get more time to bring them up slowly. I am using an offset though and have never used a pellet smoker so you will have to do some trial and error and figure out what works best for you and the smoker you have. Obviously we all want to see pics of your cook, Hahaha!!

Well that is good info to know right off the bat. Temps are pretty close and may settle out even more once you have food cooking. I should have edited my post. I never season ribs overnight but I have seasoned pork butts and brisket overnight. Kind of depends what you're smoking. I usually season up my ribs a couple hours before I plan to smoke and go straight from the fridge to the smoker so I get more time to bring them up slowly. I am using an offset though and have never used a pellet smoker so you will have to do some trial and error and figure out what works best for you and the smoker you have. Obviously we all want to see pics of your cook, Hahaha!!
Oh I plan on sharing pics, even if they turn out horrible or burnt. But I bet they don't. Lmao to learn & to share pics & content. I would be bummed out if I could post pics.

Yeah I plan on seasoning them about 10am & putting on the grill around 11 or 12.

Thanks.

Lots great advice has been given. And the most important is that to give yourself plenty of time. Its easier to cut a rest time a little short as it is to hurry up a cook. And no one wants a bunch of folks standing around asking.."Is it done yet?" Or the wife threatening to call the pizza joint! And dont drive yourself crazy sweating it....It'll come with time and learning your cooker! Have a beer and kick back, watch the smoke, and enjoy the smell.

Jim

LOL all great ideas & suggestions. Amazing part is so many different ways and none of them are wrong. I LOVE spare ribs. I don't think I'll ever trim a full rack of ribs again. Why trim off my favorite part of the rib? I do occasionally pull the membrane but that's not a must for me. I've eaten a ton of spare ribs with the membrane still on.

Now I'm hungry for ribs .... see how that works? LMAO - Your ribs look great.

Guys & gals I got my meatloaf prepped & ready.

I also got my spare ribs prepped & ready.

Where do I stick the meat probe in the ribs?
Or do I just do the flex test?

Thanks.
1000000199.jpg
1000000198.jpg

Guys & gals I got my meatloaf prepped & ready.

I also got my spare ribs prepped & ready.

Where do I stick the meat probe in the ribs?
Or do I just do the flex test?

Thanks. View attachment 696557View attachment 696558
Don’t bother with a probe in the ribs, flex test works for me. Do put a probe in your loaf though. I would hit your ribs with a bit more rub personally. Good luck! I’m doing some tomorrow 😉

Both looked prepped up pretty good. Gonna be tasty. Ribs I dont put a probe in. I go by the bend test, toothpick test, and or bone looseness.

Jim

Don’t bother with a probe in the ribs, flex test works for me. Do put a probe in your loaf though. I would hit your ribs with a bit more rub personally. Good luck! I’m doing some tomorrow 😉
Yeah I did hit the ribs with more rub. I'll hit them again with rub when I get ready to put them on.

Yes I was planning on running a probe in my meatloaf.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky