Help: 1st St.Louis spare ribs on pit boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DieselTech

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 28, 2024
Kansas
Guys & gals I was wondering if I could get some help smoking my 1st rack of ribs on the pit boss pellet grill?

I bought some St. Louis spare ribs, & wondering where to start. 1st I know the silver skin needs to come off the back of the ribs.

Is there any other stuff that needs trimmed off?

Should I smoke them at 225°f or 250°f & what procedure should I follow?

I'm looking for a dry rub rib with good bark.

I'm a bit lost with this pellet grill.

I would also like to smoke a 3lb meatloaf while I'm doing the ribs.

Could I possibly get a bit of help from all you professionals?

Thanks.
1000000196.jpg

I'm hoping to smoke both the ribs & meatloaf in about 4 hours if this is possible at 225°f or 250°f

I think I'm somewhere close on full cook time. Lmao maybe not!🤣😂🤣

Thanks.

Reactions: Redicans

Ribs will take 5-6 hours and the meat loaf 3-4 hours at 250-275. Forget 225 for now.
Ok so at 250°f the ribs will take 5-6 hours, then I better start the ribs around 11am & the meatloaf at 1pm for done time to around 5pm.

Should I get the silver skin off the ribs tonight & get them rubbed down with seasonings & then put the ribs back in the fridge so they will be ready to go.

Thanks. I feel like a idiot/dummy asking all these questions. Sorry.

Thanks TNJAKE TNJAKE Appreciate it. Does the apple juice give the ribs a slight sweet taste? Or not?

Thanks.

Turn the temp up... run 275, no wrap on the ribs. Don't worry about removing the membrane

20220403_211300.jpg

Smoked with cherry wood, no wrap, at 275 on a pellet grill. Doesn't take that long. Unless you want fall off the bone ribs ( yuck).

Ryan

Thanks TNJAKE TNJAKE Appreciate it. Does the apple juice give the ribs a slight sweet taste? Or not?

Thanks.
Doesn’t add much for flavor but keeps them from getting dry on the exterior. Some will disagree but I disagree lol. I always pull the membrane off the back. Some don’t. Seasoning the night before also doesn’t add much but is a definite time saver for the next day

Should I get the silver skin off the ribs tonight
I don't remove the membrane. It will help seal in the juices and the ribs will not be dry when finished. I do blast the membrane with a torch, or on a grill cranked up to 500*F though. This will sear and pop the membrane so it is not chewy.

Ok so at 250°f the ribs will take 5-6 hours, then I better start the ribs around 11am & the meatloaf at 1pm for done time to around 5pm.

Should I get the silver skin off the ribs tonight & get them rubbed down with seasonings & then put the ribs back in the fridge so they will be ready to go.

Thanks. I feel like a idiot/dummy asking all these questions. Sorry.
In bbq don’t push your times that tight, meaning exact. Start early and let the meat tell you when it’s done. You can always wrap and rest done meat. Give yourself some breathing room on time.

On prep get as crazy as you want, but most is not needed. Most of the meat prep advice comes from those following competition cooks, that has little to do with your backyard. Most comp cooks are cooking for judges and it’s all about ONE bite for judging. In my yard I want to eat everything and all of it not just one bite.

Do yourself a favor and start off cooking/smoking at 250/275F on the pit. This solves a lot of common problems, makes delicious food and has a much shorter learning curve.

Turn the temp up... run 275, no wrap on the ribs. Don't worry about removing the membrane

View attachment 696539

Smoked with cherry wood, no wrap, at 275 on a pellet grill. Doesn't take that long. Unless you want fall off the bone ribs ( yuck).

Ryan
Them look awesome. What kinda pellet grill you use? Looks like the smoke penatrated thru & thru. Nice. Them look yummy 😋

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Doesn’t add much for flavor but keeps them from getting dry on the exterior. Some will disagree but I disagree lol. I always pull the membrane off the back. Some don’t. Seasoning the night before also doesn’t add much but is a definite time saver for the next day
Thanks I've always pulled the membrane off, but lmao I've only done ribs in the oven.

Thanks I probably will pull the membrane off, just due to a family member having false teeth. Season might soak in a bit more too.

Reactions: JLeonard and TNJAKE
I don't remove the membrane. It will help seal in the juices and the ribs will not be dry when finished. I do blast the membrane with a torch, or on a grill cranked up to 500*F though. This will sear and pop the membrane so it is not chewy.
When do you sear the membrane? After they have fully cooked?

Thanks.

I always pull the membrane off the back but if it doesn't come right off, no sweat. It takes a little practice. And I'll add that a drip pan under the meatloaf is a must for sure. Enjoy!

Them look awesome. What kinda pellet grill you use? Looks like the smoke penatrated thru & thru. Nice. Them look yummy 😋
GMG, Green Mountain Grill.
I know you're new but it's gonna take time for you... we can all give advice, but you'll have to take time to try different methods. What I like and some others like might not be for you. Alot of this ends up as personal preference.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky