Hello! from florida !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Meatetter

Original poster
Jan 5, 2024
Hello ! From Largo. florida.
Its a bit colder here than I would like right now.
Not new to smoking or sausage making but I have opened a new chapter in this great hobby I am looking into dry aging and putting together a chamber from a mini fridge.
If anyone has any experence they would like to share I am all ears.
I have aquired a mini fridge with no freezer just an evaperator plate on the rear wall and a set of ink bird tempature controlers and a humidity controler. looking for any advice going forward.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome from Virginia. There are a few of us here with mini fridge chambers.

Welcome from Ohio! I used to spend a lot of winter time in the Largo and Belair area in my 20s. You found a great place for all things including advice on the aging chamber.

Welcome from Iowa! Several here can help you with dry aging... but I'm not one of them lol.

Ryan

Welcome from the northern part of the country. 25* and about 6" of snow here. Wanna trade?

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Welcome from Mississippi! Lots of folks here with experience in dry aging and sausage making. I aint one of them....Unless you need a taste tester. Look forward to your posts and pics.

Jim

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Greetings and welcome to the forum from chilly New Mexico.
As SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth said, I would gladly change weather with you.

First, you will have to find a place to drill a hole in the unit without damaging any of the cooling stuff.
It will need to be large enough to for the Ink Bird sensors, and two power cords for the Humidifier and Dehumidifier.
I would suggest buying the Humidifier & Dehumidifier before cutting the hole.

Welcome from another Floridian (winter only). I'm ENE from you in Four Corners (south Clermont Lake County)
It has been a bit chilly the past month.
The South Florida SMF get together occurs the first weekend of December at Highland Hammock SP at Sebring. If you're a camper, reserve a spot near site #87 and join us for a fun weekend.

Dry aging is indaswamp indaswamp and BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker realm.

Hi, John !

Yes, I have an idea where you are. This weather has been brisk. Its not the 90 plus I have become used since moving south. Thanks for the invite I have not gone camping in years.
Sounds interesting though.

Bob

Greetings and welcome to the forum from chilly New Mexico.
As SmokingUPnorth SmokingUPnorth said, I would gladly change weather with you.

First, you will have to find a place to drill a hole in the unit without damaging any of the cooling stuff.
It will need to be large enough to for the Ink Bird sensors, and two power cords for the Humidifier and Dehumidifier.
I would suggest buying the Humidifier & Dehumidifier before cutting the hole.
Hi Bruce !

Yeah, lots of people have suggested trading weather ! I spent most of my life living in the great lakes or the north east so I am escaping lots of ice and snow.
I have lived here long enough now that my blood has thined so much that 60 is the new freezing.
when it hits 50 well rigimortis sets in !
enough of that !

Sounds like you have had some experence with my new project? any sugestions on humidifier & dehumidifier?

thanks, Bob

Welcome to SMF from Southeast Missouri!
Hello ! mr mac !

Its a new adventure for me, kinda sorta. Currently grilling and smoking with a large bge and a smoke hollow smoke tronix watt box also a duel burner propane stove with a gridle and other castiron toys.

looking to build a curing chamber and a dry ager.

Bob

Reactions: mr mac
Welcome from the northern part of the country. 25* and about 6" of snow here. Wanna trade?

Chris
Hi, Chris

No ! I have lived up north and loved it till I DIDNT ! after knee surgery the cpld was never the same again !

I would rather get sucked up by a huricane and thrown into the gulf than freeze shoveling snow !

Bob

looking to build a curing chamber and a dry ager.
BoB, I'm with you on the whole dry aging thing, though I'm going to try the refrigerator route using dry aging bags like UMAi. I've seen a number of videos from many different channels and it all seems easy enough to do and with pretty good results.

The Better 9/10ths and I are upgrading our refrigerator soon and our current one will move to the basement where I can give this a go.

Let us know how your plans turn out.

Mac

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky