Hello from Southcentral PA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ceeaton

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 16, 2024
Southcentral PA
Hello all! Long time griller/smoker/outdoor food preparer. Just bumped into a Pit Boss Series 3 digital electric smoker that was on fire sale (a return to Tractor Supply, the lady who bought it didn't think it needed any assembly). Built it during the Bills/Steelers game yesterday, will burn it in today since it seems to have stopped snowing here. Not sure what to make of it, used to building a fire for the most part when I cook (smokey mtn, weber kettle, old New Braunfels offset stick burner) and drinking a few beers while I watch it cook. I make a decent amount of sausage, so hope to use it to smoke any I cure and do a final cook. Also started fiddling with cheese making, have made wine and beer for decades, I guess I'm just working on skills so I have something to do when I eventually, hopefully, retire (61 now).

Looking forward to all the info in this forum. Used a winemaking forum to start that hobby up, so hoping this will further my smoking hobby. Thank you in advance for all the info!

Craig

Hi Craig, and welcome from Iowa! Good place to learn and share here.

Ryan

Reactions: ceeaton
Hello Craig from Nova Scotia.

Good insight to your way around the food and drinks, you will fit right in here.

But be warned , we love a little show and tell, but lots of great folks also here to help with almost any question you have or want to discuss. And maybe a little fun also.

David

Greetings Craig, welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Looks like you will have plenty to keep you busy when you retire.

Hello all! Long time griller/smoker/outdoor food preparer. Just bumped into a Pit Boss Series 3 digital electric smoker that was on fire sale (a return to Tractor Supply, the lady who bought it didn't think it needed any assembly). Built it during the Bills/Steelers game yesterday, will burn it in today since it seems to have stopped snowing here. Not sure what to make of it, used to building a fire for the most part when I cook (smokey mtn, weber kettle, old New Braunfels offset stick burner) and drinking a few beers while I watch it cook. I make a decent amount of sausage, so hope to use it to smoke any I cure and do a final cook. Also started fiddling with cheese making, have made wine and beer for decades, I guess I'm just working on skills so I have something to do when I eventually, hopefully, retire (61 now).

Looking forward to all the info in this forum. Used a winemaking forum to start that hobby up, so hoping this will further my smoking hobby. Thank you in advance for all the info!

Craig
welcome from union county Lewisburg/Mifflinburg area!

Welcome! I'd love to see more activity in the cheesemaking forum, I am pretty much it right now...
I'll take a look. Been looking around a little, but there is a lot of content here. Noticed a pizza area, I got into that heavily at the start of covid.

Next step for me in cheese making is to secure a "box" of some type I can use to protect the cheese from the occasional mouse it attracts in my cool basement.

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome aboard from OHIO! It sounds like you will fit right in here!

I do have one comment about this Pit Boss PBV3D1 (electric vertical smoker), not a good idea to try to complete an initial burn-off when it's 20*F with wind outside. Even in a semi-protected area (residual eddy wind), the highest I could get it to go was 255*F set at 350*. At least I could do a pork butt if I had too...

Reactions: JLeonard
It's good to have you, Craig.
I guess I'm just working on skills so I have something to do when I eventually, hopefully, retire (61 now).
I tell people all the time to retire if you can, but you got to have something to do. Can't just sit in the house all day. Sounds like you have a few things to keep you busy...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky