Featured Grillable Louisiana Crawfish (or Shrimp) Boudin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geostriata

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 18, 2021
California
This is exciting! I've been working on a series of 7 sausages for a Sausagefest 2024 party I'm having soon. So far, I've been making great progress on sausages (#1 - St. Rose Chorizo, #2 - Central TX BBQ, #3 - Hot Links, #6 - Jalapeno Cheddar), and then I got stuck on #4 - Louisiana Boudin, which was recommended by indaswamp indaswamp and I was really excited about. But after 4 attempts/iterations, I think I've finally made progress!

First off, some history.

I followed the original recipe posted by 73saint 73saint and ran into a problem: the resulting product tasted delicious, but it couldn't be grilled. If you cut the links, grilling will cause the contents to shoot out. If you tie them down and then try to grill, you still can't slice them as you would normal sausage. Without a solid bind, the casings were rubbery and unpleasant to eat.

1719615977927.png

I've since learned that you don't grill them and eat the casings, but instead folks often instead suck or squeeze the contents out and discard the casings. This is suboptimal for me for a few reasons:
  1. My friends aren't the most adventurous, and will likely eschew the need to eat the sausage this way (and possibly allude to the empty casings being similar to other ... things best not mentioned in a food context).
  2. This is a Sausagefest, and arguably the Louisiana Crawfish Boudin is unlike any other of the 10 or so boudin sausages I've seen on meatsandsausages.com. LA shrimp/crawfish boudin not very sausage-like in that respect (more like risotto placed into a sausage casing).
  3. I want to put the best possible sausage forward, and I really like the taste of well cooked casings. I want to be able to eat the casing, and I also want to be able to slice into it if I want, like a typical sausage. Even better if it's a choice, where I can choose to also eat it the traditional way.
I wanted to make a Louisiana Shrimp Boudin that I could grill, which meant a better bind, firmer, and a more sliceable and grillable product. Fortunately, indaswamp indaswamp recommended the Best Stop Crawfish Boudin as a solid representative Boudin. I noticed they mentioned in the description that it can be grilled, so I took the plunge and spent $40 for 3 links.

The product arrived with dry ice in a mini cooler.

1719616260827.png

Do you notice how the ends have a bit of trailing casing? I wondered why as I pan simmered them for a quick test:

1719616322155.png

To my disappointment, the Boudin immediately expanded, shooting out of the casing. I believe this is the reason that they have 'tails' on their links: so that when it expands while cooking it doesn't shoot out like this. Undeterred, I tied up both ends to get a good sear and that worked. However, the Boudin could still not be sliced (it appeared as my image before). And no matter how sharp your knife is, it'll leave a mess on the blade:

1719616558997.png

Thinking about why this happened, I felt like this was due to the amount of non-meat product in the recipe. Four cups of cooked rice (700g), 400g fresh vegetables, and very very little fat (only the butter used to sauté the vegetables). I tried another batch, increasing the binders (adding NFDM and tried to reduce the amount of water, but still I failed). I then did more research and found a Mariansky book: Making Healthy Sausages that seemed to specialize in making sausages with low meat content (vegetarian sausages) or low fat content. I ordered it, and when I arrived, I made two shrimp sausages, referencing slightly different recipe in his book, similar to his fish sausage recipe, but replacing his ground fish with half chopped shrimp (emulating crawfish) and half ground shrimp. One recipe from the book had 20% pork fat, and one had fat replacer (konjac flour : xanthan gum : microcrystalline cellulose in a 2:3:4 ratio). I was blown away by the results!

1719617241504.png

Despite using coarse chopped product, I had a great bind! Texture was spot on! The top is pork fat, and the bottom with the fat replacer. I was expecting the fat replacer to taste awful, rubbery and synthetic, but it actually tasted GOOD. Not as good as pork fat, but it bound so much better!

(As an aside, I think the fish sausage was a bit bland on the flavor side. I bet it'd to much better with some more spices or a stronger fish like salmon).

Armed with this knowledge, I proceeded with a revised version of the recipe. The goal was to reduce water content, reduce non-meat product, increase bind, and increase fat.

To start, I did a deep analysis of the reference Best Stop Crawfish Boudin, as it performed slightly better than my first attempt in terms of bind. I used the ingredients list and order of ingredients to derive my recipe.

1719617683863.png

In short, I added pork fat, added cure #1 (since I added pork fat and Cajuneric Cajuneric did in his boudin recipe), added both soy isolate, phosphate, egg white, NFDM, and potato starch (throwing the kitchen sink in terms of binders), reducing rice to 200g, and using all dehydrated ingredients.

This achieved the texture I wanted, but it was rather salty. I think this is simply because my salt:non salt ratio got out of what due to reducing substantially the amount of non-salt product and by adding cure#1. I revised the recipe accordingly, and will post on the next post since this one is getting long...

Last edited:
The derived 73saint 73saint / Best Stop recipe is as follows:

For every 1000g of meat (600g chopped shimp into 1/2" cubes, 200g ground shrimp, 200g pork fat):
  • 100g of canned rotel solids semi-puree (blend can and strain results).
  • 200g cooked jasmine rice with rotel water (save rotel water, and use to make rice, adding plain water as needed).
  • 13.5g dehydrated white onion (or 108g fresh), fine chopped
  • 9g dehydrated green onion (or 72g fresh), fine chopped
  • 20g dehydrated green bell pepper (or 160g fresh), fine chopped
  • 5g dehydrated celery (or 40g fresh), minced
  • 3g dehydrated parsley (or 12g fresh), minced
  • 130g cream of shrimp soup
  • 56.5g margarine or butter
  • 19g salt
  • 2.5g paprika
  • 2.5g cayenne
  • 0.7g white pepper
  • 1 egg white
  • 20g NFDM
  • 10 potato starch (or optionally flour if doing fresh and using for roux)
  • 7g soy protein isolate
  • 3g sodium phosphate (possibly optional, depending on water content of shrimp)
  • 4.5g fat replacer (xanthan : konjac : microcrystalline cellulose in 2:3:4 ratio) (possibly optional, depending on water content of shrimp)
Here it goes!

To start, I blended my can of Rotel briefly and strained the result. The original recipe just used the can, but this introduced chunks which I felt was inconsistent and not ideal. So I used a tomato puree like Best Stop did.

1719618922836.png

I then saved the rotel water, and added enough water to make the rice. This is one of those water-reducing measures for better binding.

1719618989461.png

While I waited on the rice, I chopped 3/4 of the frozen shrimp, ground 1/4, and fine-ground the 200g of pork fat.

1719618901427.png

My thinking was that if I mixed the semi-frozen chunks of shrimp, it would prevent the delicate shrimp from getting pulverized in the mixer. This is something I did for the Mariansky low-fat test recipes (his fish sausage recipe) and it worked wonderfully. It took a little while longer to mix, but the ice protected the chunks so that they were still pronounced in the final product.

1719619284994.png

However, this might've been a double edged sword as this could have resulted in increased water content. One option for next time is to use non-wet non-frozen shrimp, and this may enable removal of phosphates and fat reducer.

1719619299253.png

Look how wet that still is. Since I STILL wasn't able to get a sticky result after 8 minutes, I added the fat replacer and phosphates as an emergency measure and it got to weak-sticky after 5 more minutes of mixing! A long mix, but due to the frozen shrimp, it was still cold.

1719619391079.png

I then rested the result overnight, and it looked good!

1719619421587.png

I then stuffed with these hog casings from Syracuse Casings and OMG EVERYONE MUST BUY THESE RIGHT NOW. I can't believe I used anything else.

Just wet your stuffing tube, slide em on, and pull the plastic through.

1719619636442.png

Ready to stuff!

1719619690633.png

I then stuffed the product. I tied and cut them in C-links with a twist through them. This way I can easily grill a pair without worrying about contents coming out.

1719619782616.png

As usual, I made my post stuffing grill patty, and I was STOKED to see it work this time! Previous attempts at patties made an awful mess!

1719619848661.png

It might be working! I then baked on for 30 mins at 200F and sous vided the rest at 152F for 30 mins to IT. The sous vide one plumped up nicely and the baked one had a firm skin. I think with this recipe, I can now smoke these and have it come out OK! (Previous attempts didn't work out well)

1719619954423.png

I then pan seared both, and here are the results!

1719620033149.png

The baked one sliced a lot easier! So I think smoking or baking is the way to go first (and then possibly sous vide to IT if needed).

Not only was I able to slice them, but I was able to eat the casings and enjoy it now! Especially on the baked / grilled one! In addition, I think you can still call this recipe authentic (or semi-authentic) since you can still choose to suck out the contents if you want to do it the traditional way.

In addition, they tasted great! Not as good as the one with the fresh ingredients, but still really great. Even with the much reduced rice, you can still get the rice texture and the chunks of shrimp made it *much* better than the Best Stop Crawfish boudin IMO (they actually seem to use very little crawfish, but theirs is still really good).

Next time will try with fresh ingredients and thawed/de-wetted shrimp to see how that compares.

G geostriata what a great recipe sleuthing writeup! Love it. Lot of effort, glad you found a solid lead to pursue!
Thanks Dave! I'm really glad it worked out. After 2 failures on this one and 2 supporting experiments, and one over-salty batch, I was really starting to worry. Shrimp can be expensive!

So when is the sausagefest? I need to be booking a room and flight!

Jim
Haha, it's on the 27th! This Boudin set me back a bit, but only two more to go!

I still have the cooler from the Best Stop order. How about I have a raffle so that I can share this with someone on the forum? All seven sausages, frozen, in a cooler with dry ice, shipped to whoever wins. That'd be fun! I'm dying to share this with the forum.

Reactions: JLeonard
The derived 73saint 73saint / Best Stop recipe is as follows:

For every 1000g of meat (600g chopped shimp into 1/2" cubes, 200g ground shrimp, 200g pork fat):
  • 100g of canned rotel solids semi-puree (blend can and strain results).
  • 200g cooked jasmine rice with rotel water (save rotel water, and use to make rice, adding plain water as needed).
  • 13.5g dehydrated white onion (or 108g fresh), fine chopped
  • 9g dehydrated green onion (or 72g fresh), fine chopped
  • 20g dehydrated green bell pepper (or 160g fresh), fine chopped
  • 5g dehydrated celery (or 40g fresh), minced
  • 3g dehydrated parsley (or 12g fresh), minced
  • 130g cream of shrimp soup
  • 56.5g margarine or butter
  • 19g salt
  • 2.5g paprika
  • 2.5g cayenne
  • 0.7g white pepper
  • 1 egg white
  • 20g NFDM
  • 10 potato starch (or optionally flour if doing fresh and using for roux)
  • 7g soy protein isolate
  • 3g sodium phosphate (possibly optional, depending on water content of shrimp)
  • 4.5g fat replacer (xanthan : konjac : microcrystalline cellulose in 2:3:4 ratio) (possibly optional, depending on water content of shrimp)
Here it goes!

To start, I blended my can of Rotel briefly and strained the result. The original recipe just used the can, but this introduced chunks which I felt was inconsistent and not ideal. So I used a tomato puree like Best Stop did.

View attachment 699535

I then saved the rotel water, and added enough water to make the rice. This is one of those water-reducing measures for better binding.

View attachment 699536

While I waited on the rice, I chopped 3/4 of the frozen shrimp, ground 1/4, and fine-ground the 200g of pork fat.

View attachment 699534

My thinking was that if I mixed the semi-frozen chunks of shrimp, it would prevent the delicate shrimp from getting pulverized in the mixer. This is something I did for the Mariansky low-fat test recipes (his fish sausage recipe) and it worked wonderfully. It took a little while longer to mix, but the ice protected the chunks so that they were still pronounced in the final product.

View attachment 699537

However, this might've been a double edged sword as this could have resulted in increased water content. One option for next time is to use non-wet non-frozen shrimp, and this may enable removal of phosphates and fat reducer.

View attachment 699538

Look how wet that still is. Since I STILL wasn't able to get a sticky result after 8 minutes, I added the fat replacer and phosphates as an emergency measure and it got to weak-sticky after 5 more minutes of mixing! A long mix, but due to the frozen shrimp, it was still cold.

View attachment 699539

I then rested the result overnight, and it looked good!

View attachment 699540

I then stuffed with these hog casings from Syracuse Casings and OMG EVERYONE MUST BUY THESE RIGHT NOW. I can't believe I used anything else.

Just wet your stuffing tube, slide em on, and pull the plastic through.

View attachment 699542

Ready to stuff!

View attachment 699543

I then stuffed the product. I tied and cut them in C-links with a twist through them. This way I can easily grill a pair without worrying about contents coming out.

View attachment 699544

As usual, I made my post stuffing grill patty, and I was STOKED to see it work this time! Previous attempts at patties made an awful mess!

View attachment 699545

It might be working! I then baked on for 30 mins at 200F and sous vided the rest at 152F for 30 mins to IT. The sous vide one plumped up nicely and the baked one had a firm skin. I think with this recipe, I can now smoke these and have it come out OK! (Previous attempts didn't work out well)

View attachment 699546

I then pan seared both, and here are the results!

View attachment 699547

The baked one sliced a lot easier! So I think smoking or baking is the way to go first (and then possibly sous vide to IT if needed).

Not only was I able to slice them, but I was able to eat the casings and enjoy it now! Especially on the baked / grilled one! In addition, I think you can still call this recipe authentic (or semi-authentic) since you can still choose to suck out the contents if you want to do it the traditional way.

In addition, they tasted great! Not as good as the one with the fresh ingredients, but still really great. Even with the much reduced rice, you can still get the rice texture and the chunks of shrimp made it *much* better than the Best Stop Crawfish boudin IMO (they actually seem to use very little crawfish, but theirs is still really good).

Next time will try with fresh ingredients and thawed/de-wetted shrimp to see how that compares.
Wow man amazing work!!!
I love seeing this kind of stuff. Like really digging down into it all and explaining it vs some old generic explanation or regurgitation like the "225F for 5 hours" smoking info that is lazily put into books and other things meant to teach or explain how to smoke/cook something when there is so much more to it.

I can't wait to see when you nail it. I know how awesome it feels and tastes to go through 4-5 iterations of something to finally nail it and be happy with it :D

Wow man amazing work!!!
I love seeing this kind of stuff. Like really digging down into it all and explaining it vs some old generic explanation or regurgitation like the "225F for 5 hours" smoking info that is lazily put into books and other things meant to teach or explain how to smoke/cook something when there is so much more to it.
Thanks so much! That's exactly what I think as well! There's a beauty and benefit in the details. It's the small things that make all the difference (like how it looks at various stages, or minor techniques/tricks that usually go unnoticed, etc...).

Like if there was a video that just showed meat in the mixing process for a full 4 minutes instead of cutting away, I'd hit "subscribe." You can see the parts as they gradually get extracted, and then how they pull in the other parts that aren't extracted yet, and maybe how the side of the mixer has some parts that aren't pulled in at the end and you can point -- that's a partial extraction and that part will fat out a little bit. If I use that technique/machine, I'll have to take a quick break to scrape it down from the side. Learning that wouldn't have happened unless I saw and studied the mix as it happens in great detail. Love that stuff.

This is exciting! I've been working on a series of 7 sausages for a Sausagefest 2024 party I'm having soon. So far, I've been making great progress on sausages (#1 - St. Rose Chorizo, #2 - Central TX BBQ, #3 - Hot Links, #6 - Jalapeno Cheddar), and then I got stuck on #4 - Louisiana Boudin, which was recommended by indaswamp indaswamp and I was really excited about. But after 4 attempts/iterations, I think I've finally made progress!

First off, some history.

I followed the original recipe posted by 73saint 73saint and ran into a problem: the resulting product tasted delicious, but it couldn't be grilled. If you cut the links, grilling will cause the contents to shoot out. If you tie them down and then try to grill, you still can't slice them as you would normal sausage. Without a solid bind, the casings were rubbery and unpleasant to eat.

View attachment 699528

I've since learned that you don't grill them and eat the casings, but instead folks often instead suck or squeeze the contents out and discard the casings. This is suboptimal for me for a few reasons:
  1. My friends aren't the most adventurous, and will likely eschew the need to eat the sausage this way (and possibly allude to the empty casings being similar to other ... things best not mentioned in a food context).
  2. This is a Sausagefest, and arguably the Louisiana Crawfish Boudin is unlike any other of the 10 or so boudin sausages I've seen on meatsandsausages.com. LA shrimp/crawfish boudin not very sausage-like in that respect (more like risotto placed into a sausage casing).
  3. I want to put the best possible sausage forward, and I really like the taste of well cooked casings. I want to be able to eat the casing, and I also want to be able to slice into it if I want, like a typical sausage. Even better if it's a choice, where I can choose to also eat it the traditional way.
I wanted to make a Lousiana Shrimp Boudin that I could grill, which meant a better bind, firmer, and a more sliceable and grillable product. Fortunately, indaswamp indaswamp recommended the Best Stop Crawfish Boudin as a solid representative Boudin. I noticed they mentioned in the description that it can be grilled, so I took the plunge and spent $40 for 3 links.

The product arrived with dry ice in a mini cooler.

View attachment 699529

Do you notice how the ends have a bit of trailing casing? I wondered why as a pan simmered them for a quick test:

View attachment 699530

To my disappointment, the Boudin immediately expanded, shooting out of the casing. I believe this is the reason that they have 'tails' on their links: so that when it expands while cooking it doesn't shoot out like this. Undeterred, I tied up both ends to get a good sear and that worked. However, the Boudin could still not be sliced (it appeared as my image before). And no matter how sharp your knife is, it'll leave a mess on the blade:

View attachment 699531

Thinking about why this happened, I felt like this was due to the amount of non-meat product in the recipe. Four cups of cooked rice (700g), 400g fresh vegetables, and very very little fat (only the butter used to saute the vegetables). I tried another batch, increasing the binders (adding NFDM and tried to reduce the amount of water, but still I failed). I then did more research and found a Mariansky book: Making Healthy Sausages that seemed to specialize in making sausages with low meat content (vegetarian sausages) or low fat content. I ordered it, and when I arrived, I made two shrimp sausages, referencing slightly different recipe in his book, similar to his fish sausage recipe, but replacing his ground fish with half chopped shrimp (emulating crawfish) and half ground shrimp. One recipe from the book had 20% pork fat, and one had fat replacer (konjac flour : xanthan gum : microcrystalline cellulise in a 2:3:4 ratio). I was blown away by the results!

View attachment 699532

Depite using coarse chopped product, I had a great bind! Texture was spot on! The top is pork fat, and the bottom with the fat replacer. I was expecting the fat replacer to taste awful, rubbery and synthetic, but it actually tasted GOOD. Not as good as pork fat, but it bound so much better!

(As an aside, I think the fish sausage was a bit bland on the flavor side. I bet it'd to much better with some more spices or a stronger fish like salmon).

Armed with this knowledge, I proceeded with a revised version of the recipe. The goal was to reduce water content, reduce non-meat product, increase bind, and increase fat.

To start, I did a deep analysis of the reference Best Stop Crawfish Boudin, as it performed slightly better than my first attempt in terms of bind. I used the ingredients list and order of ingredients to derive my recipe.

View attachment 699533

In short, I added pork fat, added cure #1 (since I added pork fat and Cajuneric Cajuneric did in his boudin recipe), added both soy isolate, phosphate, egg white, NFDM, and potato starch (throwing the kitchen sink in terms of binders), reducing rice to 200g, and using all dehydrated ingredients.

This achieved the texture I wanted, but it was rather salty. I think this is simply because my salt:non salt ratio got out of what due to reducing substantially the amount of non-salt product and by adding cure#1. I revised the recipe accordingly, and will post on the next post since this one is getting long...
After all of that hard work, I'm glad to see you ended with happy delicious results. I would love to try your shrimp boudin, I love that stuff.

Just wanted to add a quick word on what I have learned about boudin / casing. Growing up my mom worked for a local cajun restaurant. Through time the owner would share things with her about his process. He told her the secret to great boudin was to steam it for moist / texture results (when not trying to pan sear, smoke etc.). I share this to say, his boudin links were never tied, it always had extended casing ends (about 3" tail will leave about 1-1 1/2 after cooked) . His links links were twisted but were not twisted to make the casing very tight, is was easy to smush with your fingers. Through learning by trial and error, I found the casing shrinks when cooked and take away some of the rubber texture. If twisted or tied, you need to poke holes with a toothpick every couple inches prior to cooking, this allows for pressure / steam to slowly escape while cooking and do not over stuff. Lower temperature will also assure minimum burst during cook, my best results have been 175°-180°, I cook 15-20 minutes. I use the same temp when i smoke links. When cutting to serve, never cut until after it is heated to eat. If cut, then heated, it will extend beyond the casing. I know all of this does not apply to some of the results you were wanting to achieve, but it may help through some of your trials you mentioned.

Keep making and posting as you go, I love getting new ideas

Reactions: JLeonard
2 guys and a cooler YouTube channel has quite a few videos where they get into the actual process of making sausage. He talks in depth about protein extraction, varying salt levels, holding overnight in the fridge etc. He has done several videos showing side by side comparison of various techniques. Overall really good stuff. He is also Cajuneric Cajuneric here.

GST, Great post and some good looking sausage, I'll eat all your mistakes for you ! Sausage fest sounds like a good time coming up.
Thanks so much! It'll be a fun time! The weather is looking nice, so we should have good sausage and swim I think. Now I've just got to figure out a vegetarian sausage for one of my guests, and the beer to go with everything :)

Wow! I just noticed this thread got featured! I'm so honored! :)

A quick update. I just grilled up a batch for dinner. After taking my frozen link, dropping it in sous vide, and grilling it, I noticed that it had firmed up even further. I believe a key step that I didn't realize was to cool the links before cooking them a final time.

Now I don't need to tie off the ends to grill, and I can eat it more easily with a fork as you would a normal sausage.
1719885340770.png

1719885356369.png

I still think there's a bit more work to be done refining this recipe, but it's promising!

Reactions: Dave in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky