Gas Grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slevin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I know a lot of people use the tubes on gas grills and I had a safety question. Most gas bbqs do not come with a thermocouple safety valve. If the flame blows out could the amnps relight the propane causing an explosion?

Thanks for the replies.

Hrmm. That's what I thought. It seems like there are so many smoke box accessories out there but no one ever talks about the safety side of things.

Gas grills are not very well sealed. So just my theory, but if there is enough wind to blow the flame out, there would be enough wind to disperse the propane that is being dumped into the grill. Additionally, propane is heavier than air, even more so than the warm air in your grill. Since grills typically have some sort of bottom opening to drain the grease, the propane would just "fall out" via that drain hole. All said, you might get a nice "poof" but I doubt there would be an explosion.

I know a lot of people use the tubes on gas grills and I had a safety question. Most gas bbqs do not come with a thermocouple safety valve. If the flame blows out could the amnps relight the propane causing an explosion?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes.I've had it happen,not quite an explosion but enough to hear a good pop that actually moved the lid.Scared the hell out of me.

Gas grills are not very well sealed. So just my theory, but if there is enough wind to blow the flame out, there would be enough wind to disperse the propane that is being dumped into the grill. Additionally, propane is heavier than air, even more so than the warm air in your grill. Since grills typically have some sort of bottom opening to drain the grease, the propane would just "fall out" via that drain hole. All said, you might get a nice "poof" but I doubt there would be an explosion.

I fixed it for you:
"It's better to have burnt and lost, than never to have "been" barbecued at all."

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky