Frozen butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

az porky

Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Goodyear Arizona
How long will it take two 9# butts to unthaw in the frig.l need to serve them on 12-01-18. When should I take them out of freezer.

Thanks!

Well, depends on fridge conditions, but I'll take mine out 3 days before I want to cook them. First 4 hours or so are on the counter, others in the fridge. I've always had them thaw fine this way.

AZP, Did you freeze them weeks before their expiration date?? If so take them out a week in advance of cooking.

I take my 5-6 lb Prime Rib Roasts out 4 days before, and prep it on the 3rd day & smoke it on the 4th day.
First 3 hours is on the counter. Butt Should be similar.

Bear

And as a side note there is nothing that says a still partially frozen butt cannot be smoked more or less like normal. I've done it several times on an overnight smoke at 225*. I would not try it on a hot smoke though as you need the time for the core to catch up. Just don't try to put a meat probe in for the first couple of hours. By then the core will be thawed and it should be pretty much like any other low and slow smoke. The one caveat I would add is it might be more difficult to time when it is done so I would not try a still partially frozen butt on a smoke that had a specific target time for serving unless you pad your time quite a bit. You can always have it done early and hold foiled in a cooler for a few hours. It's easier to deal with extra time than to have not enough and be in a crunch with a hungry family giving you the stink eye (ask me how I know this ;) )

Last edited:
And as a side note there is nothing that says a still partially frozen butt cannot be smoked more or less like normal.

Bingo! I smoke, roast, and grill partially frozen meat all the time, including butts (though I've never grilled a butt). Even hot smoked a partially frozen turkey once. It adds a little time, but not as much as you think it might. I read once that a completely frozen hunk of meat takes twice as long to cook as the same cut thawed. Heck, I'll be making pot roast tomorrow out of a partially frozen boneless chuck roast.

Thanks all you folks for all your answers,it was a big help. I knew I would get the right answers from the pros. I love this forum.

You didn't say what you were doing with the butts and I suspect that everyone assumed pulled pork or some such. If it's to make sausage I prefer the meat and fat at the "frost crust" stage of not quite frozen so they could be a lot less thawed out and be perfect for grinding.

Bear, I don't believe for a second that you have the timing right on those prime rib roasts. Overnight me 3-4 ASAP and I'll validate that timing for you....

You didn't say what you were doing with the butts and I suspect that everyone assumed pulled pork or some such. If it's to make sausage I prefer the meat and fat at the "frost crust" stage of not quite frozen so they could be a lot less thawed out and be perfect for grinding.

Bear, I don't believe for a second that you have the timing right on those prime rib roasts. Overnight me 3-4 ASAP and I'll validate that timing for you....
Yes I’m pulling them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky