First time brisket burgers w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I have been researching grinders for quite awhile and finally pulled the trigger on a grinder attachment for our Kitchen-Aid mixer. The Kitchen-Aid brand one had horrible reviews so I settled for the $35 non-plastic one. I have no experience grinding meat so this was a first for me.

Kroger's also had choice brisket on sale for $1.99 lb this week and I figured what better way to break it in than grinding up brisket for burgers. Have seen several threads and have gotten advice on ratio of fat/meat from several of you and I appreciate all the advice.

New grinder attachment.
ground2.jpg

Picked up two of these bad boys and I think I might go back today and grab a couple more at that price.
ground1.jpg

ground3.jpg

I cut about 1/3 of the brisket up at the flat portion. If I had to guess I was probably at 70/30 meat or at most 80/20.
ground4.jpg

ground5.jpg

This is what I ended up with. 6 1/3-1/2 pound burger patties and 2 pounds vac sealed up.
ground6.jpg

I read one of SmokinAl's threads where he did this and used the CI instead of the grill as to not lose all that good tasting fat through the grill greats. So CI pans it was. Really need to invest in one of the larger griddles but haven't made it there yet.

SPG on the burgers and butter in the CI
ground7.jpg

And the money shot(should have got a sliced shot). Topped with cheese and a fried egg. Homemade pickle, ABT's on the side with fries and hush puppies.
ground8.jpg

Verdict: This was one of the best burgers I have eaten. My son told me it tasted like something you would eat at a high end restaurant. The texture was different than what you would get out of store bought meat. This was my first time doing it so I might play around with the two different plates that came with it and maybe mixing in different cuts of meat.

I also still have 2/3's of a whole brisket in the fridge! I couldn't believe how much meat it yielded. Paying $1.99 lb for tasty brisket instead of store ground crap sounds a lot better to me. Thanks for looking.

John

$1.99!!! can't remember the last time I've seen them that low. Looks good John. Try one with a little pork fat.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Excellent looking burgers Justin. Me really likes!!! Unfortunately brisket like coors(:emoji_sunglasses:) is almost double that price around here. I could do ribeyes and Narragansett for close to that price.

Point for sure
Chris

Grinding your own beef is a game changer. its one of those things that makes you never want to buy store ground beef again (at least for me it was). taste and texture is remarkably better!
One brisket = one cow burgers - not the hundreds of random cows from a mega grinder. Straight chuck also makes a mean burger - i will be making brisket burger next tho! big like!

Nice Grind! 80/20 pink slime burger here is $5.99/pound.

Cheapest cut I can get to grind is Beef Clod, which works just fine. Brisket is rarely below $6.99/pound.

YUM tg t.. now that's the way a burger should be... great job

next thing to try in the new grinder... Boston Butt... for some home made breakfast sausage using Pops recipe... you think the burgers were good ...

Of coarse.. after that you'll want to get a stuffer (dedicated, not one for the kitchen - aid mixer) ...

Again.. great job ...

Awesome looking burgers John!! You just made me realize I haven’t had a homemade burger yet this summer!! I need to change that.

Now, let’s see if the wife wants a grinder attachment for her KA mixer, lol

Like!

$1.99!!! can't remember the last time I've seen them that low. Looks good John. Try one with a little pork fat.

Thanks! You are the second person to tell me to use pork fat in the grind. Would I cut more fat off the brisket and just use the pork fat instead or use both?

Excellent looking burgers Justin.

Chris did you have too many PBR's yesterday morning? I'm John...not sure who Justin is.

Im just messing with you man lol its all good. I did buy a couple 6er's of PBR over the weekend and enjoyed some along with the coors. Thanks for the like

Grinding your own beef is a game changer. its one of those things that makes you never want to buy store ground beef again (at least for me it was). taste and texture is remarkably better!
One brisket = one cow burgers - not the hundreds of random cows from a mega grinder. Straight chuck also makes a mean burger - i will be making brisket burger next tho! big like!

Thanks Sandyut. I'll def be grinding my own from now on as much as I can. I think a chuck/brisket mix would be awesome. Makes me wonder about more expensive cuts of meat but I think I would have a hard time chopping up an expensive rib roast or something for burgers lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky