First time bacon questions (Update with cured PIC Question)

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by jpsciacca, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Ok, I have finally taken the plunge and decided to smoke some bacon for the holidays. After much lurking and research I settled on a dry rub and cold smoke. I bought a whole belly from a butcher I hadn't dealt with because mine was out. It came rolled up, and I couldnt really inspect it for thickness. Lesson learned. Its a bit thinner than I would have liked. After poorly removing the skin, I mixed my cure according to http://diggingdogfarm.com/page2.html. For the 4.3 lb pieces it gave me a mixture of 4.87g cure #1, 35g salt, 19.5g sugar. It didn't seem like alot, and some recipes call for a lot more salt and sugar. Am I in the right area of rub? How long of a cure in the fridge, I was planning on 7days, then bringing it out of the loose vac wrap for 2 days in the fridge, then smoke. Days are cold (40F) so my AMNPS in the WSM should be good without making it too warm. Then smoke is just for color/flavor. I was thinking 4-6 hours. Some people say 12+. Just wondering if someone wants to weigh in. IMG_0900.jpg IMG_0902.jpg

Attached Files:

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Your cure calculations are right on. I let mine cure for 14 days, then rinse & air dry in the fridge for 4 days, cold smoke for 10-12 hours, then air dry in the fridge for another 4 days. Then freeze for a couple of hours & slice it up. I also add about 1/8 cup each of granulated garlic, granulated onion, & black pepper to the cure mix.
    Al

3. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I'll be doing mine in the spring. I plan to smoke it for 8 to 10 hours, let it rest for a couple of days and smoke again for 8 to 10 hours.
    Gary

4. So based on replies, I think I’m going to go 10-11 days on the cure. That will let me do 3 days in the fridge before the smoke.
    Am I way off on the smoke time? Plan to use a blend of bourbon and hickory pellets and apple dust. About a 25/25/50 mix.
    Thanks for the help. I will post more pick when I’m done with curing and start to amoke

5. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

4-6 hours of smoke will be relatively light. Smoke 6 hours and test fry a slice. If you are happy, you are done. If not throw the bacon back in for a few hours and test again. You read the old guys like Al and myself smoking 12 hours because we can wrap it up in one day and, after trial and error, found it gives the intensity we like. There are guys that smoke 8 hours on then rest overnight for 2-3 days. There was a member that smoked 24/7 to get what he wanted. There is no One Way to smoke Bacon...JJ

6. I appreciate the help. After 10 days in the cure, one had good uniform color throughout. The other seems less bright red except for a circle in the center. More of a greyish red color than the deep red of the first slab. Should I be concerned at all? Plan on drying in a minifridge for 3 days and then smoking this weekend. Would love to give out samples for xmas without getting anyone sick. IMG_0919.jpg image1.jpeg

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

No need to worry. Surface color is meaningless as you Know it is cured. The rest will equalize the center...JJ

8. PerazziMx14

PerazziMx14 Fire Starter

If your going to cold smoke do it over several days if you can. Cold smoke for 6 to 8 hour then allow to rest in the fridge for at least 12 hours then repeat.