First smoke on my offset OK Joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markus2982

Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Hey all. Was able to do cook on my new offset a little bit ago and just got around to posting it. It is an OK Joe Highland and the only "mod I have done is a charcoal basket out of expanded steel.

Did a beer butt chicken that turned out pretty good. According to the temp probes I put in the cooking chamber, my 2 sides were off by like 60 degrees. Not sure how accurate that is since the temp gauge is pretty cheap. Here is are some pics

Attachments

• 20200409_134542.jpg
    20200409_134542.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200409_183649.jpg
    20200409_183649.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 17
That bird gots some great color! Great job!

I wouldn’t trust the stock temp. gauges. Try using an oven temp gauge and place it inside the cooking area.

That bird turned out looking fantastic - how was the flavor?
Turned out really well. Used apple wood for smoke and it was present but not over powering. O had to finish it in the oven because I mowed the yard towards then end and lost too much fire

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky