First brisket New Years day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokinoak

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2018
Gibsonia, PA (15044)
Biggest brisket I ever cooked 9.73lbs. packer yesterday. It was supposed to be prime but I have my doubts by the way it turned out. Put it on the grill at 602am., and it was done at between 1130-1200 noon. I cooked at 350*, wrapped at 155*IT and cooked to 205 IT final. My complaint is that it wasn't moist enough. what could be the problem? Weber22"
20200101_161521.jpg 20200101_161528.jpg

Last edited:
My complaint is that it wasn't moist enough. what could be the problem? Weber 22

Typically, if it's not moist enough it was overcooked. But sometimes when folks under cook briskets they seem dry and will be tough.

Did it pass the pull test?

How did you determine that it was done?

Reactions: Smokinoak
Weber 22 kettle or wsm? It's one thing to cook that high of a temp on a unit where the brisket is farther away, but on a kettle, you could really end up drying it out, youre almost grilling it at that point.

IMHO that's too hight to cook brisket regardless unless you're planning on braising it like a Sunday roast. But that's just me. I know some folks do it with success, but it just tastes like heat when I've done it.

I find briskets to be tricky for sure. I always inject mine now. I prefer using Butchers BBQ Prime brisket injection. It produces amazing results. In a pinch I’ll just use beef broth , typically double strength Minors beef and au jus flavors mixed. The Butchers Prime adds phosphates and some other magical goodies to the mix.

I always inject mine now.
Same here-I inject beef consomme...as much as I can get in it before it just runs out. its usually 2-3 syringes full. Then i rub it down and let it sit overnight. I am not a wrapper...I just let them ride all the way through. I do agree 350 may be a touch hot tho. I usually do mine at 180 for 3-4 hours and then 260-275 till done. I am on a pellet grill so 180 is high smoke.

Briskets can be ornery, each one is different. I did flats for a long time and those seem to be more of a PITA than a full packer - or I learned from the flats and that made the FP not an issue...

Try again - your product will improve with practice.

Weber 22 kettle or wsm? It's one thing to cook that high of a temp on a unit where the brisket is farther away, but on a kettle, you could really end up drying it out, youre almost grilling it at that point.

IMHO that's too hight to cook brisket regardless unless you're planning on braising it like a Sunday roast. But that's just me. I know some folks do it with success, but it just tastes like heat when I've done it.
I used a 22" kettle fivetricks. I cooked it to internal temp 205*.

Same here-I inject beef consomme...as much as I can get in it before it just runs out. its usually 2-3 syringes full. Then i rub it down and let it sit overnight. I am not a wrapper...I just let them ride all the way through. I do agree 350 may be a touch hot tho. I usually do mine at 180 for 3-4 hours and then 260-275 till done. I am on a pellet grill so 180 is high smoke.

Briskets can be ornery, each one is different. I did flats for a long time and those seem to be more of a PITA than a full packer - or I learned from the flats and that made the FP not an issue...

Try again - your product will improve with practice.
I might have to inject on my next brisket. Thanks.

Thank sandyut, it was very flavorful but I don't think the flat slices would have passed the pull test.

Very likely why it wasn't moist. If the collagen hasn't broken down enough for it to pass pull test, then it will be dry - it needs melted collagen to provide moisture.

Next time, forget internal temp and just cook till it passes the probe test.

I always inject my brisket with mix of beef broth, lots of melted butter, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper....smoked/ cooked till temp of 200. Let it rest for an hour, wrapped then slice and enjoy!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky