Fermented Galic Honey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cajun Smokes

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 16, 2020
Recently I found myself getting into fermentation of meat and vegetables. Fermented garlic in honey just didn't make sense to me, seemed like a flavor confusion lol. After researching this, discovering health benefits and so many people saying the flavor is terrific after the fermentation has taken place, I decided to give it a try. So today I emptied a bag of pre peeled garlic I picked up at Sam's, dumped them into a sterilized 1/2 gallon jar and filled with raw unfiltered honey, thats it, its that simple.Never had this but really looking forward to it now. Hope everyone has a great new year!

Attachments

• 20220102_142821.jpg
    20220102_142821.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 51
I'd never heard of that one. Sounds interesting.

Let us know what you think of it. How long does it sit before you try it?
Recommendations on the internet are all over the place of course, from 1-4 weeks. I will try at 2 weeks and go from there.

Reactions: one eyed jack
good idea with those jars
usually takes a month for me
the garlic will be candied and could make your dentist a fortune
the honey gets watery

I've never had sugar cured garlic.
Not sure why it is called "fermented"

The phrase "raw unfiltered honey" is misleading unless one knows the source.
All true domestic USA or Canadian honey is "raw" and "filtered" only to remove bee body parts.

Honey from "other" sources is pasteurized (not raw) and microfiltered to remove pollens that reveal the true source (usually South American). It is usually sold as your generic honey.

I've never had sugar cured garlic.
Not sure why it is called "fermented"

All true domestic USA or Canadian honey is "raw" and "filtered" only to remove bee body parts.

Honey from "other" sources is pasteurized (not raw) and microfiltered to remove pollens that reveal the true source (usually South American). It is usually sold as your generic honey.
So what should I call this honey to be correct? I hate to give misleading information to others. Honey comes from a family farm. It is collected by a professional that leaves some of the honey at the farm before taking the rest for whatever process is done. What should this type of honey be called?

I’ve became quite the fermenting junkie this year as well. This is cool and I look forward to following for your results.

I’ve became quite the fermenting junkie this year as well. This is cool and I look forward to following for your results.
Looking forward to this one myself as well. I love doing things that aren't exactly normal in everyone's world lol.

You are fortunate to have the best quality honey.
Sorry to alarm you. My post was meant as a caution for others. I don't think pasteurized honey will give the same results
So what should I call this honey to be correct? I hate to give misleading information to others. Honey comes from a family farm. It is collected by a professional that leaves some of the honey at the farm before taking the rest for whatever process is done. What should this type of honey be called?
Your honey source is true raw and unfiltered. It is also local honey meaning the bees collect nectar from area blossoms. Perfect source for using in home recipes.

I worked in the honey business many years ago. We gave honey back to the landowners as payment in kind.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Thank you for the information. I love meeting all the people on this site. Such a wealth of knowledge is shared here.

I wish that this was true but being a long time beekeeper I can tell you some people and companies aren't honest and aren't selling what they claim they are.

Quick update. Had a look at this on the way out for work this morning. Surprisingly, less then 48hrs it's already bubbling and honey is noticeably thinner. I knew this was part of the process just didn't think it would happen so soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky