Experiment: To wrap or not to wrap? (Beef short ribs)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoketrailsteve

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 22, 2017
Alberta, Canada

To wrap or not to wrap? In this video I get "scientific" and rate wrapped vs unwrapped beef short ribs based on 4 categories: Appearance, Tenderness, Taste and Ease of Cooking.

Let me know what you think

Texas Style Rub:
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup pepper

Time and Temperature
- Preheat Smoker to 275 degrees - 2-3 hours of smoke - wrapped one set of ribs in foil at internal temperature of 160 degrees (no liquids added) - left other set unwrapped - Cooked for another 2-3 hours and removed wrapped ribs at 192 degrees and let rest for a few hours in cooler wrapped in towels - Cooked unwrapped ribs another 3-4 hours until internal temp of 190, then let rest for 30 minutes The test: - wrapped ribs on right of cutting board - unwrapped ribs on left of cutting board - evaluated based on 4 categories (each out of ten): Appearance, Tenderness, Taste, Ease of Cooking - Total possible score of 40

I guess that's the question. Does the extra juicyness/tenderness you get from wrapping outweigh the extra bark you get from not wrapping?

I never heard of wrapping these beef ribs. I researched how to cook them and also didnt see anyone wrapping beef ribs. I didnt and they were quite good!

Beside I have pretty much stopped wrapping anything unless i hose up my timing and need to speed something along - which is rare.

I’ve done some short ribs and they usually don’t come out nearly as juicey as say a 3 bone rib so I can totally see wrapping. And the single short ribs take for ever to cook. I just keep it to 3 bone side/ plate ribs or I actually prefer Korean short ribs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky