East Meets West-Bovine Meets Swine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tbrtt1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
I picked up some skinny beef ribs and a rack of SLC spares on Friday. I wasn't able to score my usual beef ribs, so I settled for some skinny looking ones that were real cheap. 

Well come evening time on Friday I get a wild hair and decide to do a little experimenting. I thought I'd do half the ribs quasi-asian style (East) and the other half traditional (West). I did some asian style ribs a while back and they were OK. But I was inspired and determined to do a better job this time. But to make sure I was gonna have some good Q to eat I did half the stash traditional style just in case. 

Sorry I don't have any prep pics but I removed the membrane from all the ribs, cut the rack of spares in half and then rubbed half down with a combination of Oakridge Black Ops and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. Then I made an asian style marinade roughly consisting of equal parts water, soy sauce and rice vinegar. I added some sesame oil, a healthy dose of dark brown sugar, a bunch of fresh chopped garlic and a pinch of ginger powder. Mixed it up real good and poured half in a ziplock with half a rack of the spares and poured the other half in another ziplock containing 2 "mini" racks of beef ribs. Put them all in the fridge and set up the UDS to be ready for lighting Saturday morning. 

UDS basked was filled with half lump and half KBB. Tossed in a couple chunks of hickory and a few small chunks of cherry. Saturday morning I lit that puppy and about 15-20 minutes later I had the Auber temp controller hooked up and set to 290*. Took a bit longer than usual, but in about 45 minutes the smoke was nice, thin and blue. I tossed on the ribs with the asian style on a lower rack and the traditional on the top rack.

They smoked for about 2.5-3 hours then I did a little wrapping and panning. For the traditional I just wrapped the beef ribs in foil and for the spares I added a little brown sugar and honey when I wrapped. For the asian style I put the beef ribs in a pan and added a less sweet version of the marinade that included some green onions and coved the pan tightly with foil. I put the asian half of the spares in foil face down on some of the marinade with a little brown sugar. Everything went back on the smoker for 50 minutes. 

After the 50 minutes I checked and everything was nice and tender so I removed all the ribs from the wraps and glazed the traditional spares with some apple juice and touch of apple cider vinegar and some brown sugar. Put everything back on for 10 minutes to tighten up. 

Traditional (West) beef and spare ribs after a few hours and before wrapping:

Asian style (East) getting ready to be wrapped:

Asian style spares getting wrapped face down with some marinade:

The asian style beef ribs in pan with marinade poured on top:

Little brown sugar and honey for the traditional spares:

Asian beef ribs all done: 

Asian spares all done:

The traditional ribs, bovine and swine, on a butcher paper lined tray: 

I am trying to make up for all the shots of my Q on cheap white paper plates.

My wife caught me taking pics on paper plates and said, "you put that on the internet?"

So here's some gussied up pics:

I made an asian slaw with nappa cabbage, cilantro and a soy-lime based dressing. 

I poured the pan juices from the beef ribs in a pot,

grew this a little with some more soy and stock and added just a touch of cornstarch to give the gravy some body.

I saved this up with some white rice. Again, plated more better to please the wife:

These are the asian spares:

These are the traditional spares showing a few cut: 

The other pics made then look dry but they were not al all: 

Traditional beef ribs:

Despite these beef ribs looking rather anemic, the flavor was excellent. Everything came out great, if I don't say so myself. I cooked hotter than I normally do, but I wanted to do some things this afternoon and needed to be finished before 1 or 2 PM. I must say, this temp worked very well. Both the charcoal and wood burned clean at the higher temp, or so it seemed. The smoke profile was perfect. 

FWIW, the asian style beef ribs were a tad better than the asian spares. I think the beef ribs fare better in the marinade. 

Last edited:
My goodness!

Everything looks fantastic!

Excellent job!

Congrats on making the carousel!

Point!

Al

Dang those ribs look amazing! Awesome plated shots too. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to BBQ, paper plate are like fine china. Points to you sir!

My goodness!

Everything looks fantastic!

Excellent job!

Congrats on making the carousel!

Point!

Al
Thanks Al. I think its my first trip to the carousel! 
Great looking spread and your wife would be proud of those pics.
Tasty looking meal,who did the dishes?
biggrin.gif
LOL, I did the dishes, if washing them is what you mean!
Dang those ribs look amazing! Awesome plated shots too. As far as I'm concerned, when it comes to BBQ, paper plate are like fine china. Points to you sir!
That's the way I prefer it too, but like I said at the top of the post, I got a wild hair. 

Actually my wife had those 2 plates out for some reason so I considered it divine intervention and used them for plating pics. 

Oh man, first unread thread for me this morning and... WOW!

That is a great looking East/West cooking, and the pics are first rate.

The wife was right... Aren't they always? (mildly sarcastic)

Point to you for the cook, pics and Carousel.

Oh man, first unread thread for me this morning and... WOW!

That is a great looking East/West cooking, and the pics are first rate.

The wife was right... Aren't they always? (mildly sarcastic)

Point to you for the cook, pics and Carousel.
Thanks Chile,

I was just checking out your post not he chuckle burnt ends. I haven't done a chuckle in a quite a while. Your post inspired me. Put that on the list for next weekend. In fact, I am boiling crawfish for Mother's Day for crowd of about 20. I think these will make a great party snack for next Sunday. 

Looks great! Love adding an Asian flare to beef ribs and spares. One of my favorites! I like the sounds of the slaw going to have to give it a whirl.

Point!

Looks great! Love adding an Asian flare to beef ribs and spares. One of my favorites! I like the sounds of the slaw going to have to give it a whirl.

Point!
Thanks Dirt. I will caution though, the slaw was great but if you use nappa/Napa cabbage you have two eat right away. It's not as crunchy as regular cabbage and gets softer quick. It tasted wonderful so I will attempt it with regular cabbage or a combination next time for better texture. 

I picked up some skinny beef ribs and a rack of SLC spares on Friday. I wasn't able to score my usual beef ribs, so I settled for some skinny looking ones that were real cheap. 

Well come evening time on Friday I get a wild hair and decide to do a little experimenting. I thought I'd do half the ribs quasi-asian style (East) and the other half traditional (West). I did some asian style ribs a while back and they were OK. But I was inspired and determined to do a better job this time. But to make sure I was gonna have some good Q to eat I did half the stash traditional style just in case. 

Sorry I don't have any prep pics but I removed the membrane from all the ribs, cut the rack of spares in half and then rubbed half down with a combination of Oakridge Black Ops and Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. Then I made an asian style marinade roughly consisting of equal parts water, soy sauce and rice vinegar. I added some sesame oil, a healthy dose of dark brown sugar, a bunch of fresh chopped garlic and a pinch of ginger powder. Mixed it up real good and poured half in a ziplock with half a rack of the spares and poured the other half in another ziplock containing 2 "mini" racks of beef ribs. Put them all in the fridge and set up the UDS to be ready for lighting Saturday morning. 

UDS basked was filled with half lump and half KBB. Tossed in a couple chunks of hickory and a few small chunks of cherry. Saturday morning I lit that puppy and about 15-20 minutes later I had the Auber temp controller hooked up and set to 290*. Took a bit longer than usual, but in about 45 minutes the smoke was nice, thin and blue. I tossed on the ribs with the asian style on a lower rack and the traditional on the top rack.

They smoked for about 2.5-3 hours then I did a little wrapping and panning. For the traditional I just wrapped the beef ribs in foil and for the spares I added a little brown sugar and honey when I wrapped. For the asian style I put the beef ribs in a pan and added a less sweet version of the marinade that included some green onions and coved the pan tightly with foil. I put the asian half of the spares in foil face down on some of the marinade with a little brown sugar. Everything went back on the smoker for 50 minutes. 

After the 50 minutes I checked and everything was nice and tender so I removed all the ribs from the wraps and glazed the traditional spares with some apple juice and touch of apple cider vinegar and some brown sugar. Put everything back on for 10 minutes to tighten up. 

Traditional (West) beef and spare ribs after a few hours and before wrapping:

Asian style (East) getting ready to be wrapped:

Asian style spares getting wrapped face down with some marinade:

The asian style beef ribs in pan with marinade poured on top:

Little brown sugar and honey for the traditional spares:

Asian beef ribs all done: 

Asian spares all done:

The traditional ribs, bovine and swine, on a butcher paper lined tray: 

I am trying to make up for all the shots of my Q on cheap white paper plates.
My wife caught me taking pics on paper plates and said, "you put that on the internet?"
So here's some gussied up pics:

I made an asian slaw with nappa cabbage, cilantro and a soy-lime based dressing. 
I poured the pan juices from the beef ribs in a pot,
grew this a little with some more soy and stock and added just a touch of cornstarch to give the gravy some body.
I saved this up with some white rice. Again, plated more better to please the wife:

These are the asian spares:

These are the traditional spares showing a few cut: 

The other pics made then look dry but they were not al all: 

Traditional beef ribs:

Despite these beef ribs looking rather anemic, the flavor was excellent. Everything came out great, if I don't say so myself. I cooked hotter than I normally do, but I wanted to do some things this afternoon and needed to be finished before 1 or 2 PM. I must say, this temp worked very well. Both the charcoal and wood burned clean at the higher temp, or so it seemed. The smoke profile was perfect. 

FWIW, the asian style beef ribs were a tad better than the asian spares. I think the beef ribs fare better in the marinade. 

Fantastic cook!
:points:
(note to self. Get some of those fancy square plates)

That is one GREAT looking meal!!  Not a thing I wouldn't eat and really enjoy.

You can tell your "artistic director" that the plated shots are beautiful.  Nice work on her part.

The dressing for the Asian salad sounds interesting.  Care to share?

Gary

Awesome smoke!

Mike

Thanks Mike.

That meal looks fantastic
Richie

:points:

Thanks Tropics.

That is one GREAT looking meal!!  Not a thing I wouldn't eat and really enjoy.

You can tell your "artistic director" that the plated shots are beautiful.  Nice work on her part.

The dressing for the Asian salad sounds interesting.  Care to share?

Gary

Gary,
Thanks.

I googled some Asian slaw recipes and Knda winged it. I didn't measure, but it is about equal parts freshly squeezed lime juice, water and rice vinegar with a healthy dose of sugar, ginger powder and a few dashes of soy sauce and sesame oil.. An mportant ingredient is cilantro. I just mixed this in with the chopped napa cabbage. But IMHO you must have cilantro either in the dressing or in the slaw itself. I threw in some red bell pepper too. As I mentioned before, add some regular cabbage or use all regular cabbage. I found the nappa cabbage wilted very quickly. Flavor was good though. The trick is balancing the tart and the sweet. I mixed and tasted the dressing several times before tossing.

Gary,
Thanks.

I googled some Asian slaw recipes and Knda winged it. I didn't measure, but it is about equal parts freshly squeezed lime juice, water and rice vinegar with a healthy dose of sugar, ginger powder and a few dashes of soy sauce and sesame oil.. An mportant ingredient is cilantro. I just mixed this in with the chopped napa cabbage. But IMHO you must have cilantro either in the dressing or in the slaw itself. I threw in some red bell pepper too. As I mentioned before, add some regular cabbage or use all regular cabbage. I found the nappa cabbage wilted very quickly. Flavor was good though. The trick is balancing the tart and the sweet. I mixed and tasted the dressing several times before tossing.

Thanks for the recipe. There aren't many things I just plain don't like bu cilantro is one of them. I know it won't be the same thing but I'll try it without the cilantro.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky