Double barrel horizontal smoker build step-by-step

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caspian

Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
I'm a new guy to the forum, but have been an amateur  fabricator/tinkerer/DIY guy for awhile, so i decided to build a double barrel horizontal stainless smoker from scratch (not a kit build)I will document my progress here and give tips on how i figured things out and also let you know what i did wrong or could have done better to help those out and save them the trouble.

So far in the build, I have $219/55 gal drum and $175 in misc stainless parts (duct, angle, rods for the grate, etc).  carbon steel would have much less expensive, but I wanted it to match my other outdoor projects and i like the idea of a lifetime of no maintenance.

My equipment includes:

Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG welder

Plasma cutter

Band saw

Angle grinder

Circular saw with abrasive blades

Level

Sharpie

6 pack of Coors Light

Here we go!!!!

Drums and welder

Cut out the opening.  Circular saw is the way to go if you can.  straight lines and easier to control than an angle grinder.

Lip welded around the opening

Brackets welded on for attaching the drums.

For the top drum, you will need 4 brackets.  I used 2" x 1/8" angle.  It doesn't really matter where you put these on if they are the first ones you put on.  The next set will have to line up. We'll get to that.  You will weld one bracket in place.  Used a level to figure out where to put the corresponding one that goes on the same side.  NOTE: Be sure your drum is level also.   Once you have one side done, you will use your level to figure out where to put the ones on the opposite side.  To do this, I put a rod through the brackets on the completed side and placed my level on the rod and marked the opposite side.  NOTE: The rod is NOT the top of the bracket, it is the center of the bracket, so you will have to take that in account when measuring and marking.

When doing the second drum, you will have to be sure the brackets line up.  To do this, I used the rod technique again and marked with the sharpie a line across the top of the drum.  I used this to measure the drop for the second drum.  Bracket installation was done as with the first drum (level and rods).  Once again, remember that the rods are NOT the top of the bracket.  I can't stress this enough.  I had to remind myself and triple check that I did it right.  It's easy to get in a rush and mess it up.

Now for the feet.  The feet brackets went on the same as the others.  NOTE: I did NOT cut out the firebox opening yet.  That would be one more thing to have to bring in alignment and one more headache.

Now it's time to install the duct work between the drums.  I used 8" duct since my metal supplier didn't have any 6" stainless in stock.  I figured that with a damper, it doesn't really matter how big the opening is.  I hope that isn't a mistake.  Since the surfaces are rounded, i couldn't simply trace the 8" duct onto the surface of the drum.  I coped out one end of the duct work so that I could use it to trace. 

That is all for now.  I ran out of gas last night...literally.  My welder ran out of gas.  Plus I ran out of beer.
cheers.gif

Got more gas and went to work.  I cut out the holes with a plasma cutter.  cuts like butter.

Cleaned up the edges with an angle grinder and fit the tubes.

Now to fit the two parts together.  Since i'm working alone and couldn't find two people that wanted to hold the drums for 2 hours, I used an engine lift.

Now to weld on the supports.  You are about to see mistake #1.  I welded on the bottom of the supports and realized that the unit would be too tall.  I used an angle grinder and cut the supports down 5".  I cut the unwelded ones (rear) on the bandsaw.

SAFETY WARNING Always wear safety glasses.  The angle grinder broke loose while cutting the support and flew off into my stomach.  Had it been my eye, things would have gone bad real quick if i didn't have glasses.

Now i attached the other two supports and i run into mistake #2.  Even though I thought i measured 3x and cut/welded once, i ended up with one support being 1/2" too short.  So i added a little more metal.

So far, here is what i have.

Last edited:
Great tutorial on what looks to be a fantastic build.

Restock Gas and Beer and show us some more.

Had a nice rainy day to work on it.  So here goes.

Next up was the dampers.  I used the cutouts from the barrel ports to keep costs and fab time down.  The handles and shaft were made from 1/2" stainless.

To drill the holes to attach the damper to the handles, I drilled and tapped the rod.  The easiest way to do this was to center drill and do it on a drill press or mill.  It's tough if not impossible to drill holes on 1/2 rod without drifting off to the side.  Slow drilling with coolant works on stainless.

Here is the damper looking down onto it.

The dampers with the handles.  I made the handles kind of long so that they wouldn't get hot from the firebox.

Next was putting in the exhaust elbow.  This was a real PAIN.  The combination of thin gauge stainless and two different types of stainless (316 vs 304) and the fact that i'm an amature made this impossible for clean seamless welds.  I was able to get enough weld to secure it, but to make it airtight, I will have to add a heat resistent rope in the interior.

I added angle on the inside for the racks.  In hindsight, I would have sat down and drank a few more beers to figure out a way to make them adjustable.  I can still "adjust" them by adding equal size blocks on both sides to raise the racks.  I also welded up a rack and made a diffuser.  The diffuser is just thin stainless.  I will evaluate it after the first smoking and adjust the holes or make an entirely new one.  I blew through (2) $17 step drills because the metal was tough.  From now on, I will be using the plasma cutter to make holes.

The smoke box door is on, but I still have to make a handle and damper to cover the hole and allow for adjustable air flow.

The final product.  I still need to make brackets to hold the upright smoke stacks and finish the door.  I bufed the top drum, but ran out of scotchbright pads to do the bottom.  eventually, the entire thing will be shiny/swirrled.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but why would I put a plate in the middle?  I am new to smoking.  Is this something I should incorporate?

Unless I can find diamond plate as a piece of scrap, I will probably be sticking with flat.  This thing is getting $$ and i am buying scrap/cut-offs to keep costs down.

I'm not trying to be a smart a$$, but why would I put a plate in the middle?  I am new to smoking.  Is this something I should incorporate?

Unless I can find diamond plate as a piece of scrap, I will probably be sticking with flat.  This thing is getting $$ and i am buying scrap/cut-offs to keep costs down.

i think maybe he means a shelf outside the smoker so u can place things on...like meat and stuff when filling the smoker with goodies. maybe??..???

Looks good, can't wait  to see the Q-View!

I think he's just talking about adding a "prep" shelf to sit  your meat or pans of food or whatever on.  I'm guessing you just haven't got to that yet?  After thinking about how you're doing the swirl finish on the top barrel, that would look good on a shelf too.

Last edited:
the prep area will be covered when I get it in position.  It will be going next to my outdoor pizza oven.  I am going to make a prep table between the two so that it can be used for the pizza/bread oven or smoker.  Ideally I will find a cheap resturant grade used stainless table.  If that doesn't work out, then i'll build one from stainless framework and a marble top (using marble tiles for the top).

Going to try a brisquet this weekend for the initial Q.  I understand it will not be as easy ad pork (from what i have read), but as you can tell, i tend to jump in with both feet when i put my mind to something.
icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking that with a smoker like that you would certainly have a probe thermometer and other stuff you need to lay down. I would put some kind of shelf close to where the probe wires are going to be. The wires shouldn't go into the lid but below. Here's a photo of a little threaded plug I used for my probe wires.
I know you said it was getting $$$ so it doesn't have to be Diamond plate just thought it would look cool on that one with all the stainless steel.

Gotcha.  There will be lots of additions as I use this and figure out what needs to go where.  

On the list of things to add are:

Bottle opener

Stainless flame cut outs in 3-4 different colors that will be powder coated and layered.  Tough to explain, but it will be mounted on the firebox.

Remote temp gauge for food

Dual temp gauges to be mounted to smoker area

Got it 99% done. Need to add gaskets around the seams. Doing a burn to season the barrels. Also, I will be building a pad to the left of the pizza oven this weekend.

Some follow-up to the build.  Overall, it is great.  I have done a brisket, ribs, beer can chicken, pork loin, chicken legs/thighs, and meatloaf.  All went well.

The only change I would do is to make the lid the FULL width of the drum so that the racks can slide in and out on the angle brackets.  This would have been especially helpful when I did the items that took up a large surface area (ribs, legs/thighs).

The thing that I did right and am very happy with is the large door on the bottom barel.  Makes it easy to load wood, clean and add firebricks.  I have also removed the diffuser.  The constant air movement in the smoker seems to move the heat around well enough to prevent hot spots.

Other than that, building a double smoker is a fun project and can be done pretty cheap if you have an abrasive saw, grinder, and MIG welder (for regular steel)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky