cure issues.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

allanyork

Original poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hey I'm using the hickory kit cure and I'm trying something a little different. I'm making a wet seasoning and cure. I have 2 lbs of slice beef muscle and I used 1 tablespoon of cure with 3/4 cup of water with my seasoning. Do you think that's enough cure and how long do you think I should cure it for? I have it in the fridge right now cureing. Thanks for any information you can provide. I had it in the fridge over night and now it looks like it might be turning grey? Also the roast was starting to change color a bit in the first space but it smelt fine so I don't believe its going bad.

Last edited:
I.m sure one of the curing Gurus will be by

Gary

If it's a prepackaged cure and seasoning kit you need to follow the manufacturers instructions. So we really can't help you. You need to contact the producer. You shouldn't stray from the manufacturers instructions.

You need to stop what your doing and follow the manufacture directions. Too much cure can poison. you need to know what the nitrite amount is in the cure packet

You need to weigh the water and the meat then add the weights together then calculate how much cure to use. You can omit the manufacturers cure if the nitrite amount is unknown and add your own cure #1 as long as the PPM is correct by calculations. If the meat is thick you will need to inject. Like said you should not deviate from the manufactures instructions if its a pre packaged kit using the kits ingredients

My 2 cents

Your total weight should be 1075.36 grams water and meat. Now take your weight in grams x 200 (the ppm of cure #1 we are shooting for) / 1,000,000 / .0625 (the percentage of nitrite in Cure #1) = grams of Cure #1 to use. If you don't have a scale that can weigh in tenths of a gram, you can convert Cure #1 to teaspoons by dividing by 5.7.

1075x200 = 215,000

215000/1,000,000=0.215

0.215/.0625=0.344 grams of cure#1 

This is how I calculated it.... Can anyone check my calculation. I pretty sure its ok but not 100%

Thanks

Joe

Last edited:
I am useing my own seasonings. I'm only using the cure from the kit. I read the instructions from the kit. But the kit is for a dry seasoning. So I thought I could use Eric's pepper jerky resipe with this cure but I followed the amount of cure from the kit not his about because I'm not sure if its cure number 1

I am useing my own seasonings. I'm only using the cure from the kit. I read the instructions from the kit. But the kit is for a dry seasoning. So I thought I could use Eric's pepper jerky resipe with this cure but I followed the amount of cure from the kit not his about because I'm not sure if its cure number 1

Everything you just said there goes against any safe curing procedure. You don't know what type of cure you used from a pre-packaged kit you didn't follow the manufacturers instructions. You tried another recipe with an unknown cure. Therefore none of us can help you.

I reiterate, you need stop what your doing and start over again with a new piece of meat, seasoning, water and cure#1. Curing in a solutuion is a totaly different ball game from curing meat  in a rubbed on dry cure.

Can you swing over to roll call and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper welcome

Thanks and happy smoking

Joe

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/133/roll-call

Last edited:
Another thing is if you are going to use your own seasoning why use the cure from a package ?   

Gary

Can't find this fancy cure #1. That answers my question. I didn't know if dry cure is the same as wet cure. And its not. I need more cure. I should have just used salt

Fill out yer location in your profile and someone should let you know where you may get cure#1 locally..or You can order some from the sausagemaker.com or get it from amazon..  the good thing about cure # 1 is a small amount should last a long long time and its pretty available

Last edited:
OK I understand for next time. Now do you guys think this beef is safe anymore or is it no good just because its been sitting in water and spices over night.

I am late but reading all the post, IMHO toss better safe then in the Hospital 

Can't find this fancy cure #1. That answers my question. I didn't know if dry cure is the same as wet cure. And its not. I need more cure. I should have just used salt
No, you should not have just used salt. 

Please give us better details about what you want to do.

All we're seeing here is... I bought this seasoning kit, but I used my own seasoning and their cure. But it was designed for dry curing, but I'm wet curing(brining), so my meat is grey...etc, etc, etc.

Forgive me, as this is not mean't to be personal or insulting in any way whatsoever. But, it seems like you have no clue, and you are just guessing.

I've used just salt in the past with no problems. And this time I wanted to try some cure. I end up eating it in a week anyway. So can I still dry it and eat it and not get sick. Or is it gone bad now???

I've used just salt in the past with no problems. And this time I wanted to try some cure. I end up eating it in a week anyway. So can I still dry it and eat it and not get sick. Or is it gone bad now???
In all honesty I do not think you are paying any attention, to what the people have said. Sodium Nitrite is deadly!

I don't think you are paying attention. I only put in 1 tablespoon. Which is what the kit called for I'm worried that its not enough ffs

Use as follows:

Cure per pound of ground meat/fat:

U.S. Measurements

Amount of Meat/Fat     Amount of Cure

Vol.     Wt.

1 lb.     1/4 tsp.     .05 oz.

2 lbs.     3/8 tsp.     .08 oz.

3 lbs.     1/2 tsp.     .10 oz.

4 lbs.     3/4 tsp.     .15 oz.

5 lbs.     1 tsp.     .20 oz.

10 lbs. 2 tsp.     .40 oz.

15 lbs. 1 Tbsp.     .55 oz.

20 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp.     .80 oz.

25 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.     1.00 oz.

50 lbs. 3 Tbsp. + 1 1/4 tsp.     2.00 oz.

100 lbs. 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp.     4.00 oz.

tsp. = teaspoon; Tbsp.= Tablespoon; C. = cup.

oz.= ounce

Although cure #1 has salt in the mix, when using it in sausage making additional salt needs to be added.

Allen. The meat is no good and needs to be thrown away and not eaten. if you do not know the sodium nitrite content used in your brine it is unsafe and it can be deadly. Will you die? probably not..... Will you die crossing a busy highway... probably not but why put yourself in harms way.... I'm trying not to scare you.............if the cure you added happened to be  6.25% sodium nitrite  and 93.75% table salt  Using 1 tablespoon of cure # 1 is enough cure for 15 lbs of ground meat to make sausage and you have added that much to a little over 2 lbs. When adding cure #1 to something the amounts are very small....

Hope this helps

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky