Cure #1 Question!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, as the title states… looking for info on cure #1… I do know what it is and what it’s used for…. The following I do not know… 🤷🏼‍♂️

So my question is… I do have some cure #1 that has not been used for a long while (sad to say a few years… life happens).

My wife brought home a couple brisky flats and asked if I could do some pastrami… well, hell yes I can do some…

Back to the cure #1…. I again have not used it in a few years… noticed when I took it out of the pantry… I didn’t seal it all the way… That is on me… and the beers… and making brats that require beer to make and eat… 😉😂

So, is cure #1 okay to use if it’s not properly sealed?

I have no problem getting more…. I just hate to waste it if it’s good!

Thanks all!

Reactions: JLeonard
Hey all, as the title states… looking for info on cure #1… I do know what it is and what it’s used for…. The following I do not know… 🤷🏼‍♂️

So my question is… I do have some cure #1 that has not been used for a long while (sad to say a few years… life happens).

My wife brought home a couple brisky flats and asked if I could do some pastrami… well, hell yes I can do some…

Back to the cure #1…. I again have not used it in a few years… noticed when I took it out of the pantry… I didn’t seal it all the way… That is on me… and the beers… and making brats that require beer to make and eat… 😉😂

So, is cure #1 okay to use if it’s not properly sealed?

I have no problem getting more…. I just hate to waste it if it’s good!

Thanks all!
If it was cool, relatively dark when stored it’s good to go. It’s sodium so just like regular salt it has an almost indefinite shelf life.

If it was cool, relatively dark when stored it’s good to go. It’s sodium so just like regular salt it has an almost indefinite shelf life.

Thanks Eric… it was in the cupboard… so should be good? It’s room temp!

Yup. It’s all good. No worries.
It is excess heat that can degenerate cure #1 like being in a jar or bag in full sun and get hot. Obviously excess moisture is bad too but it’s really the heat.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
What they said, it's still good. I have some cure#1 that has almost turned white instead of pink like it came and it still works the same.

It's good to use as everyone is saying but if it's clumpy like it got moisture, I wouldn't use it then.

Good point Adam… it’s not clumpy… our elevation won’t allow that… we are high! 😉

Almost a forever shelf life if kept away from heat and excess moisture. I have a 5# tube that almost looks like regular salt, still cures meat perfectly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky