Clueless on what to do!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sowsage

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 18, 2017
Maplewood OH
Picked up some beef ribs the other day. Ive never done beef ribs. Looking for advice on how to do them. Should i treat them like a pork rib and wrap them part way through? No wrap? What seasoning? I was thinking just salt pepper onion garlic. Any suggestions are appreciated!
20190824_215357.jpg

In terms of prep, definitely pull the membrane just like pork, then dry brine by using heavy layer of Kosher salt on the meat side only, put into the fridge for 2 to 4 hours, then pull, no need to rinse, just add the rub.

I usually use mustard to hold a spicy rub like Jeff's Texas rub, any spicy rub usually works good with beef ribs. Smoke for about 4 to 5 hours, I spray it with apple juice every 45 mins or so with out wrap, if you want fall off the bone then do a wrap for an hour after the second hour, no apple juice after the wrap, no need to, just add the juice to the wrap for that phase, last hour without wrap to dry up the bark some from being wrapped. Personally I like the wrap version because I like FOB, but good either way. Smoke at around 240, hard to use a temp probe on pork ribs, but beef ribs have plenty of meat and I use a temp during the cook until I get to around 190-200 degrees internal temp. If you don't wrap pull them at 180 degree internal temp...Keep an eye on it, beef ribs cook faster then pork even though they are bigger...go figure..lol

Last edited:
In terms of prep, definitely pull the membrane just like pork, then dry brine by using heavy layer of Kosher salt on the meat side only, put into the fridge for 2 to 4 hours, then pull, no need to rinse, just add the rub.

I usually use mustard to hold a spicy rub like Jeff's Texas rub, any spicy rub usually works good with beef ribs. Smoke for about 4 to 5 hours, I spray it with apple juice every 45 mins or so with out wrap, if you want fall off the bone then do a wrap for an hour after the second hour, no apple juice after the wrap, no need to, just add the juice to the wrap for that phase, last hour without wrap to dry up the bark some from being wrapped. Personally I like the wrap version because I like FOB, but good either way. Smoke at around 240, hard to use a temp probe on pork ribs, but beef ribs have plenty of meat and I use a temp during the cook until I get to around 190-200 degrees internal temp. If you don't wrap pull them at 180 degree internal temp...Keep an eye on it, beef ribs cook faster then pork even though they are bigger...go figure..lol
Thanks! Im going to give these a shot this weekend . I really appreciate all the tips. I really was clueless on these because i never ever see beef ribs in our area. Finally found this and actually had some decent meat on them so i couldnt pass them up!

GREAT PRICE! Gonna look for some myself. $6/lb here usually. First off, remember these are the from the rib roast/prime rib. 2nd best cut of the animal so you really can't screw them up. gonavy gonavy has you pretty much covered. For me: lose membrane, SPG dry brine overnight, fan pellicle prior to smoke, 275F, oak, to 200F, no wrap. Family said do NOT change ANYTHING. Shot of Frank's on mine. You might look at pork differently after doing these. Kid you not, if I find some at this price I will grab a BUNCH. Good luck!

Man that is a great deal! I am going to have to check my local Kroger's we normally don't see them around here unless you go to Costco and pay like $8 lb. Montreal steak seasoning is a good commercial rub that is great of beef. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Man that is a great deal! I am going to have to check my local Kroger's we normally don't see them around here unless you go to Costco and pay like $8 lb. Montreal steak seasoning is a good commercial rub that is great of beef. Looking forward to seeing the results!
Been using Montreal Steak seasoning on all my beef for many years. Even on burgers. We cook a lot of 10 to 12 ounce center cut fillets. All I do is sprinkle heavy with MSS and place uncovered in the fridge overnight. When charcoal grill is ready, I brush olive oil on all sides then grill em. Perfect flavor every time and so tender!

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
GREAT PRICE! Gonna look for some myself. $6/lb here usually. First off, remember these are the from the rib roast/prime rib. 2nd best cut of the animal so you really can't screw them up. gonavy gonavy has you pretty much covered. For me: lose membrane, SPG dry brine overnight, fan pellicle prior to smoke, 275F, oak, to 200F, no wrap. Family said do NOT change ANYTHING. Shot of Frank's on mine. You might look at pork differently after doing these. Kid you not, if I find some at this price I will grab a BUNCH. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply! I was thinking oak myself but ill have to check to see if i have any. I dont use oak very often.

Reactions: zwiller
I thought this was a pretty good deal but i wasn't sure because i never see them around here. Must have been why this was the last pack they had!

Been using Montreal Steak seasoning on all my beef for many years. Even on burgers. We cook a lot of 10 to 12 ounce center cut fillets. All I do is sprinkle heavy with MSS and place uncovered in the fridge overnight. When charcoal grill is ready, I brush olive oil on all sides then grill em. Perfect flavor every time and so tender!
We buy the McCormick Montreal seasoning in the giant container and still cant seem to keep it stocked up lol!. We use it on all of our steaks and thick cut pork chops as well

Reactions: Hawging It
We cook these all the time! I typically do a generous layer of SPOG and throw them in the Yoder set anywhere from 275 to 350 with hickory pellets - I cook them pretty fast. I like to take them to an IT of 185 to 200 with a nice dark color on the outside. We're able to buy them at the local grocer for $2.29/lbs but they are only available a few times a week. Delicious! let us know how yours turn out.

I've cooked them with Montreal steak seasoning and Chicago steak seasoning. Those 2 combos were good. I bet they'd be good with salt & pepper.
Rib-eye on a stick!

Oak sounds really boring but I tried lots of woods and blends over the years. Once I tried oak, I knew it was the one. FYI the famous Cen TX pitmasters run oak. Montreal seasoning is good and I am sure it will work but a bit of a bold choice for us. I like keeping it simple now. Agree SPOG would also work but find O gives a French Onion Soup vibe and that puts me off since wife's family uses the heck out of it. I bought some course ground BP to mess with and plan to try old school SP only on next run. Kroger is running brisket for $3lb and likely will smoke that unless I score some ribs.

We cook these all the time! I typically do a generous layer of SPOG and throw them in the Yoder set anywhere from 275 to 350 with hickory pellets - I cook them pretty fast. I like to take them to an IT of 185 to 200 with a nice dark color on the outside. We're able to buy them at the local grocer for $2.29/lbs but they are only available a few times a week. Delicious! let us know how yours turn out.

I've cooked them with Montreal steak seasoning and Chicago steak seasoning. Those 2 combos were good. I bet they'd be good with salt & pepper.
Rib-eye on a stick!
Ill be sure to post some oictures and how they come out!

Oak sounds really boring but I tried lots of woods and blends over the years. Once I tried oak, I knew it was the one. FYI the famous Cen TX pitmasters run oak. Montreal seasoning is good and I am sure it will work but a bit of a bold choice for us. I like keeping it simple now. Agree SPOG would also work but find O gives a French Onion Soup vibe and that puts me off since wife's family uses the heck out of it. I bought some course ground BP to mess with and plan to try old school SP only on next run. Kroger is running brisket for $3lb and likely will smoke that unless I score some ribs.
I think im definitely going with oak. Even if i dont have any ill grab some before i do these ribs for sure.

Reactions: zwiller
What smoker you have? Oak is plentiful on Ohio if running stick/chunk. Chips and pellets can be had at usual places HD etc. I know Ace stocks Traeger and those are legit and not a blend. If you were closer I'd hook you up LOL.

Heads up beef ribs shrink more than pork so yield is less.

What smoker you have? Oak is plentiful on Ohio if running stick/chunk. Chips and pellets can be had at usual places HD etc. I know Ace stocks Traeger and those are legit and not a blend. If you were closer I'd hook you up LOL.

Heads up beef ribs shrink more than pork so yield is less.
Thanks for the heads up on the yield loss. Ill probably do these in my UDS so i use chunks.

20190831_185927.jpg
Thanks every one for all the ideas. I ended up folowing the recipe that Bearcarver Bearcarver shared. With the exception of using beef broth in the foil wrap instead of apple juice. I would have usednthe apple juice but there was only a little left in the fridge and i knew the kids would want that in the morning so i went with beef broth. They turned out pretty good! Was less cook time for me but not nearly as big as the ones Bearcarver had!
20190831_151654.jpg
20190831_185655.jpg

Looks Great, Sow!!
Like.
Yeah, the only way I can get that much meat on Ribs is to buy the Prime Ribs with bones, and trim them off, myself, leaving all I want on the bones.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky