Cabela's Pro Series DC Meat Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Got my grinder and pork butts on sale for $.97 cents. Still waiting on 10 mm plate but did not realize how big the 7.5mm is. Guess the 4.5 would be the normal one to use?

IMG_20240621_093518248_HDR.jpg

I do have some questions for Rich, chopsaw chopsaw

The plate sticks outs a bit when inserted. Is this normal? Seems like should go in a little further.

IMG_20240621_093432612.jpg

There is some slop when grinder is attached. You can see the space on first pic and when lift up a little it is gone. You can move it up and down quite a bit. Just turned it on and it does move up and down when running. This may be normal?

IMG_20240621_093457913.jpg IMG_20240621_093500595.jpg

Now I got to figure out what to make. Going with a tried and true recipe this time.

Last edited:
Hey Brian, my Kitchener looks just about like that one the front For the grinding plate. And there is some play as well. On mine, I need to not over tighten the front screw down…if I do I can hear the motor dragging. My sense is they are designed this way, light snug it down and go.

Good lookin grinder!

Brian , questions sound about right . Yes the head assembly moves up on down a bit . Make sure the slot on the plate is lined up , and the head assembly is in all the way . Should be good to go . Spin the collar on until it stops and leave it . I rub the blade and the plate in the grind before assembly . Then dump some water in the feed tube and bump the switch to make sure it’s all good . I personally don’t use any special grease .
Not on like I used to be , so any other questions tag me and I’ll see it .

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Brian , questions sound about right . Yes the head assembly moves up on down a bit . Make sure the slot on the plate is lined up , and the head assembly is in all the way . Should be good to go . Spin the collar on until it stops and leave it . I rub the blade and the plate in the grind before assembly . Then dump some water in the feed tube and bump the switch to make sure it’s all good . I personally don’t use any special grease .
Not on like I used to be , so any other questions tag me and I’ll see it .
Thanks Rich. I was wondering how tight to put it on. Just got to figure out what to make now. Kind of want to keep fresh this time and just freeze. Which plate do you usually use for sausage? Think I need to send you a care package for all the help you given me last few years!

Reactions: chopsaw
I go one pass through the largest plate that came with it . I'm in Wisconsin right now . When I get home I can get you some better info and examples .

Thanks Rich. I was wondering how tight to put it on. Just got to figure out what to make now. Kind of want to keep fresh this time and just freeze. Which plate do you usually use for sausage? Think I need to send you a care package for all the help you given me last few years!
Congrats on the new grinder!

An easy maiden voyage is a simple fresh breakfast sausage. I would use the 4.5mm plate and then see how the meat comes out after MIXING the seasonings. You will find that the meat breaks down even further after mixing so even if 4.5mm seems a little big (I bet it wont though) the mixing will change things a bit.

I would also suggest a single grind at 4.5mm so you can see what its like and since it's a small simple batch of breakfast sausage you will enjoy what you make no matter what and learn what little changes you may want to make... if any :D

Congrats on the new grinder!

An easy maiden voyage is a simple fresh breakfast sausage. I would use the 4.5mm plate and then see how the meat comes out after MIXING the seasonings. You will find that the meat breaks down even further after mixing so even if 4.5mm seems a little big (I bet it wont though) the mixing will change things a bit.

I would also suggest a single grind at 4.5mm so you can see what its like and since it's a small simple batch of breakfast sausage you will enjoy what you make no matter what and learn what little changes you may want to make... if any :D
Thanks Carlo. I have to much breakfast right now. but will use both plates when grinding next sausage to make sure works OK.
You will have to figure out the size grind you prefer. In general though, 'country' fresh sausage usually runs a little larger grind. 6-10 plate....but to each his own.
Thanks for all your help Keith. I just broke down a pork butt. Perfect 4 kilograms. Put 3 in freezer and will grind one Monday with both plates. Really not sure what to make so might just freeze ground until I decide.

Reactions: indaswamp
Thanks Carlo. I have to much breakfast right now. but will use both plates when grinding next sausage to make sure works OK.

Thanks for all your help Keith. I just broke down a pork butt. Perfect 4 kilograms. Put 3 in freezer and will grind one Monday with both plates. Really not sure what to make so might just freeze ground until I decide.
Yeah having the meat already ground and handy in manageable sizes is honestly a big win. It breaks up the work of sausage making.

Right now Waltons has 1,000 count 3 pound poly "beef" bags for on clearance for $52.
Being able to stuff 3 pound bags and freeze to make sausage later would be awesome!
You can even stuff 2 pounds in those bags without a ton of plastic waste, so you can easily pull a 3 pound and a 2 pound bag to have 5 pound increments of sausage or ground beef (when brisket sales hit).

The only catch is all the bags say beef on them so you would just have to put a marker to them to label them, which you would likely do anyhow, and cross out the word "beef" with the marker hahaha.

Just something to think about :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky