Buying New Setup - Need Opinions b/c of Stock Issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

VexedMeats

Original poster
Apr 3, 2022
Hey all! (First post of hopefully a long time here) - Just moved from NYC to the outer suburbs and wanted to finally take a dive into charcoal smokers. (I have previously only been able to use an electric wood smoker given laws/regulations with manhattan apartments)

After a bit of research I had finally decided on getting a Good-Ones Marshall Gen III. I placed the order and was all set! Except now I found out that my local dealer's website failed to indicate that they were "sold out" on this model and have no idea what the delay time would be from the manufacturer (indicating it could be 1-8 months...)

He suggested as alternative (albeit $500 more) he has an American Barbecue Systems "The Pit-Boss" Rotisserie in stock. He says its comparable in size and is also a rear box offset style similar to the Good-Ones Marshall.

Does anyone have any experience with the American Barbecue Systems? I can't find much online. Are there any other systems I could be looking at under $3,000 that have reasonable shipping timetables from the manufacturer?

Thanks everyone for any input! Cant wait to finally get the rig I've always wanted and to start smoking and posting with you all!

Welcome from Colorado. I hope you enjoy your stay.

No help with the cooker you posted, but have you looked at the Master built gravity charcoal units? Lots of happy owners out there. Char-Griller is another popular cooker as well.
Best of luck.

Are you dead set on that form factor? If I was in the $3k -,$3500 range I’d be looking at 270 Smokers, Humphreys, LSG and Backwoods. These are all insulated and make year round cooking easier in the north. They hold temp for incredibly long periods of time on a single basket of charcoal with no maintenance.

Hey all! (First post of hopefully a long time here) - Just moved from NYC to the outer suburbs and wanted to finally take a dive into charcoal smokers. (I have previously only been able to use an electric wood smoker given laws/regulations with manhattan apartments)

After a bit of research I had finally decided on getting a Good-Ones Marshall Gen III. I placed the order and was all set! Except now I found out that my local dealer's website failed to indicate that they were "sold out" on this model and have no idea what the delay time would be from the manufacturer (indicating it could be 1-8 months...)

He suggested as alternative (albeit $500 more) he has an American Barbecue Systems "The Pit-Boss" Rotisserie in stock. He says its comparable in size and is also a rear box offset style similar to the Good-Ones Marshall.

Does anyone have any experience with the American Barbecue Systems? I can't find much online. Are there any other systems I could be looking at under $3,000 that have reasonable shipping timetables from the manufacturer?

Thanks everyone for any input! Cant wait to finally get the rig I've always wanted and to start smoking and posting with you all!
First off, welcome from the Palmetto State. Come on in and sit a spell.

I don't have any experience with pellet or gravity charcoal smokers, but I've read a lot of good things on here about both the Chargriller and the Masterbuilt posted above. As to the Good-Ones smoker, the BBQ-Authority.com appears to have it in stock and free shipping. Their site says it ships in 3-5 days, but you never know...

Are you dead set on that form factor? If I was in the $3k -,$3500 range I’d be looking at 270 Smokers, Humphreys, LSG and Backwoods. These are all insulated and make year round cooking easier in the north. They hold temp for incredibly long periods of time on a single basket of charcoal with no maintenance.

I'm not deadset on the form factor, for me it was just the research I had done led me to believe that I'd be best served with a rear off-set smoker which seemingly (and logically) gave more universal heat rather than the hot-spots you get with Yoders.. I'm new to this whole charcoal smoker thing, and admittedly seem like I'm diving into the hobby. But I have a supportive wife who enjoys the perks of such hobby (and friends who we host BBQs often for) I looked up your systems, and the 270s in particular looked interesting! I hadn't thought about the variable weather differences I have up here in NJ and how a more insulated system might be better for the fall/winter/early spring... Out of the four companies you listed do you have any experience with them where you could point me to a personal preferential? I'm feeling a bit like there are A LOT of these companies and I'm getting overwhelmed at the options.

First off, welcome from the Palmetto State. Come on in and sit a spell.

I don't have any experience with pellet or gravity charcoal smokers, but I've read a lot of good things on here about both the Chargriller and the Masterbuilt posted above. As to the Good-Ones smoker, the BBQ-Authority.com appears to have it in stock and free shipping. Their site says it ships in 3-5 days, but you never know...

Thanks for pointing that out; I e-mailed them to confirm whether or not they had inventory; unfortunately the website I originally ordered from had also seemed to indicated they had stock (other systems were listed as "sold out" while the Marshal III was not, only after I submitted an order with payment info did the owner reach out to me to tell me they don't actually have stock.. Luckily, a redeeming point is that they haven't actually charged my card yet.

I'm not deadset on the form factor, for me it was just the research I had done led me to believe that I'd be best served with a rear off-set smoker which seemingly (and logically) gave more universal heat rather than the hot-spots you get with Yoders.. I'm new to this whole charcoal smoker thing, and admittedly seem like I'm diving into the hobby. But I have a supportive wife who enjoys the perks of such hobby (and friends who we host BBQs often for) I looked up your systems, and the 270s in particular looked interesting! I hadn't thought about the variable weather differences I have up here in NJ and how a more insulated system might be better for the fall/winter/early spring... Out of the four companies you listed do you have any experience with them where you could point me to a personal preferential? I'm feeling a bit like there are A LOT of these companies and I'm getting overwhelmed at the options.
I own the 270 KC cabinet. I went all in on it from the MES40 I started on. It is exceptional at holding steady temp once dialed in. Zero need for electronic fan units. Flavor is excellent. The owners of the company fielded multiple calls and email from me even though I was buying used from a private party. Although I primarily use my big Lang stick burner now I’ll likely never sell my 270.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky