Big Poppa UDS Build with Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
500 degree paint will be fine.. my lid is just tractor paint and never had an issue

500 degree paint will be fine.. my lid is just tractor paint and never had an issue
Oh man! I asked on a couple other UDS forums, and they didn't seem to think it would be. Reason being that there were a lot cooler colors in caliper paint (500 degree limit) than there were in the engine parts/ grill paint.

If I had known it would be okay, I would have gone for something else... but still very happy with the result for sure!

What's holding the pig handle on?
I grabbed a little hole and threat taping kit from the hardware store, and drilled holes in the feet (very carefully), and then threated them to the same size as the other screws with the BPS kit. Had enough left over for the 3 legs that I was able to thread, and the other one seems fine without being attached.
Since its a small surface area having to support the heavy lid, I also used larger washers I had lying around to make sure there it plenty of support.  Then I caulked around the washers to be safe since the feet themselves just barely covered the holes.

Last edited:
Sounds like you did a great job on the pig ! One suggestion for your UDS ... build a shelf ! I've had mine for over a year and always wanted a shelf! Finally hit the hardware store and bought the stuff to make it! Started on it but couldn't finish cause I have a broken hand and nobody was around to literally give me a hand lol

A shelf is a good idea but can get in the way at times. Get yourself a little folding dinner tray/table deal from Walmart for like $10. Fold it up when your done.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I did my seasoning yesterday, which was the 3rd day after I painted it, and somehow the paint (which is a 2000 degree Rust-Oleum) still got real tacky and sticky. Even the slider in my exhaust vent fused together and messed up the paint, and there are marks in the paint from me pushing the lid on...
How long does it take this stuff to freaking cure?
I'm doing my inaugural cook right now, doing some competition style thighs:

And again, all the paint on the outside is getting tacky. Anyone have this happen? Any thoughts? Think it's fine and will just take some time, or are these cooks gonna lead to the stuff bubbling off?

That being said, the seasoning went great, and I was able to get above 500 degrees with all vents open, and figured out some sweet spots which I've noted, for specific temps.

Well, the first cook turned out pretty good. Not sure if it is just due to not having a water pan or something, but they cooked WAY faster than they should have. I had the UDS at 275 for the majority of the cook, but they got to 165 IT in just under an hour, and I sauced them up and only 15-20 mins later the sauce was more done than I would like and IT was 180 on average. I had both the BPS therm, and my Maverick in there, and they stayed withing 5 or so degrees of each other.

Anyway, here you go:

Not as juicy as I would like, by very tender, and oh so delicious!

It's the first cook .. things won't be perfect .. water pans aren't needed in a UDS especially for chicken.. probably just over cooked em a little... we all do it there's a fine line with chicken ,temp , and brand of chicken .. I'm going to do some experiments with chicken today ! Half injected others only rubbed half on the kettle half in the smoker same wood ..

One more mod im planning to do in the next coule weeks: A Pizza oven mod! Last year I purchased this "Bakerstone" Pizza oven which you put onto your gas (or charcoal) grill, which effectively gives you a good quality pizza oven. This is what the thing looks like:

Anyway, The one I have is the "2-burner" option, so its a bit smaller than the one pictured. Basically it fits on the top of the drum to where the 4 corners barely touch the lip of the barrel. Think ill make up a grate/ shield system possibly using another lid for a drum, and just cutting a rectangle out of it. The unit already has a hole in the back to let the heat in, so I don't think ill need to make a top vent for it. Think a lid will work best cause I don't want heat to be able to escape around the unit. Obviously I cant put it down on the existing grate cause you wouldn't be able to get pizza in/out of it down there.
The reason I want to do this is that on my gas grill, which is actually a pretty decent grill, I cant get the heat up to where I would like it, so I think with a full charcoal basket I should easily be able to get the heat rolling! Also the charcoal will add the flavor and I could even throw some chunks in there if I want to give it an extra umph of smoke flavor.

I know some people would just say to put the pizza down on the grate on a pizza stone, but ive seen pizzas that come out that way, and im already getting better pizza using this unit on my gas grill, so I think the way the oven is built (its basically a box with walls made of pizza stones) it turns out better pizza. Also with the temps you want to get 600 degrees on up, and at those temps you only have the pizza in for a few minutes, and need to be rotating the pie every few seconds.

Ill let you all know how that goes.... I actually may use the lid I already have on my UDS cause its a bit crooked, and doesn't get an amazing seal because of some dents in the lip. Perhaps ill cannibalize this one for the pizza oven mod, and buy a new one for my actual smoker lid.

One more note for anyone following this post: Even after now my 6th cook, the paint STILL gets tacky on every use, and also even if I wait till after it has cooled completely down to put my cover back on, when the sun comes out it heats the paint up enough to get it tacky so that I have to "tear" the cover off every time I use the smoker, thus peeling some paint off onto the cover, and even some of the rubber in the cover onto the paint... Super annoying!

Anyone else have this problem with paint on their UDS? (I used the 2000 degree rustoleum grill paint)

Hey everyone!

So I have decided to build a second UDS! For the competition I am cooking in, and possible future competitions ill need a second solid smoker, and currently the only other I have is a Masterbuilt electric which I cant use in this comp. Basically the 2 meats are chicken and ribs, and I tried a run doing the ribs at 275 with the chicken, but the ribs didn't turn out as good, so ill just have to get another smoker going.

After walking around Home Depot, and looking at various other options online for building from scratch I decided to just to another Big Poppa kit. I really do think at least with the prices I could find at HD, and online that it is the most economical option, and the kit sre does look great! Ill keep you all posted n this build.

Found a slightly different and larger cast iron flying pig for my lid handle to stay with the theme:

And picked up another free barrel from the farmer I grabbed one from last time. Really nice guy!

To save some money and time on this build, im gonna just do the burn out and wire brush it down rather than going to get it sand blasted. (the sand blaster took 2 weeks on the last one).

Just an FYI DO NOT burn the lid with the drum because it'll warp and be useless.  You're ok burning it a little but do most of the cleanup with a angle grinder brush or something. 

FWIsmoker, Seeing your pictures has got me inspired to do a MINI WSM as my next project. Always thought it would be cool to do, but now im thinking it would be real nice to have a little one like that around for just smoking up something small like a few pieces of chicken. The one hard thing about this competition practice has been doing just a few pieces of chicken, and having to load a full basket of charcoal. Using a half a bag each small cook.

Made some progress on the second build this weekend. It's almost finished, except I'm waiting in the exhaust vent, which I purchased from "master forge" (Lowe's brand grills). They have a really cool smoke stack on one of their grills, so I ordered a "replacement" one.

I also ordered a Weber kettle lid from Weber that I'm gonna use for my first UDS, cause the lid on that one doesn't fit well, and I'd like to have one of the two to have a second shelf.

Here are the pics of this one so far, just a few more finishing touches to go:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky