Best way to clean a MES?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zteknon

Original poster
Nov 25, 2017
Hawaii
Pretty much like the title says. Bought a MES to make life easier. Currently awaiting the 2 weeks ish it takes for the Masterbuilt cold smoker to arrive out here. While waiting I figured Id give it a good cleaning. Is there any tricks or cheats I can use to speed things up other than elbow grease?

Is it a new MES?? If yes, then all you really have to do is get any oils left on the inside from the factory. All I do is set the temp to wide open and burn it for an hour then add smoke and burn it for another hour or two. Done deal.
You can just fill the chip tray with chips for smoke.
Gary

The smoke and fat build up on the walls is called Seasoning. This contributes to the flavor and should left alone. Racks and drip pans should be cleaned. In any event, Hvy Duty Simple Green works for me...JJ

Reactions: tink3872
AND... before and after every smoke, I crank mine up to max. temp for a couple hours to sanitize all the junk left inside...

Reactions: chopsaw
I put a piece of foil over the grease tray, and the angled pan. when it starts to get nasty i just throw out the foil and replace with fresh. I will wash the racks and occasionally clean the window with hot water and a magic eraser.

I'd like to know how everyone deals with mold. For some reason I keep getting a mold problem in mine and I clean it with vinegar and scrub. It goes away for a while then comes back. The unit stays covered and has an awning to keep rain off. Just bought a citrus grill cleaner and used it so far no more mold but we will see. Vinegar may have been contributing to it

I super heat my MES before and after any smoke... 275 for 2 hours... any mold is dead, and any leftovers inside are dehydrated... ALSO, I do not cover the MES and leave all vents wide open so there is air circulation inside...

Reactions: SonnyE
Thanks I always preheat to make sure and kill off any baddies but haven't kept running it after. I'll start doing this

I clean my Door Window before every smoke---Only takes a few minutes.
The racks I use get washed before any meat touches them. I only put in the racks I'm going to use.
The Water Pan & bottom floor get covered in foil, and the foil gets changed when it gets real bad.
The walls & ceiling I only rub with a Dry Rag, if there are any loose things hanging that could possibly fall on my food.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky