Beef Jerky Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joecapo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 20, 2017
Shark River Hills, NJ
Bored as hell after a long day of work. I had some london broil in the fridge thawing. I cut in very thin strips, and marinated in some teriyaki. Salted and peppered both sides. What did I get myself into. Been on the smoker since 7:30pm. What temp is reasonable? Im kind of winging it at the moment. Got some pics for you guys.

Depends on how you like your jerky and the pit temp you are running at. The process that I use usually takes 12-16 hours to get the texture I like. That's for meat cut to 1/4" or there abouts.

They came out alright, no final picture. Sorry about that. For a minute I thought they were burned up. Too dark out to see. Had plenty of flavor still and a semi chew to it after 7 hours. Idk Ill figure other ways out. Temp was probably getting to high. All good though. Try try try again.

Your pit temp needs to be below 180. I use a step method starting around 120 for the first hour then I bump the temp 10 degrees every hour until I t a pit temp of 170-180. Then I let it ride until I get the texture I want.

Overly dark meat means either to much smoke or if there's sugars in your brine to high of a pit temp.

Check out this simple recipe. It works great as a base that you can add other dry seasonings to if you like.
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/233270/thai-jerky

Reactions: joecapo
Yeah probably too much smoke and too high of temp. I appreciate the feedback. Always up for new challenges. Happy 4th of July

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky