BDSkelly ~ Breakfast Sausage Grind.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Imah thinking it’s time to do another grind today.... I wonder if I can find a sale on PBs. Mrs BD says more red pepper this time. The woman likes it spicy...lol

You using your own red pepper flakes in those? Hotter?

If you see butts on sale, you better fill up that freezer. I am on my last link of cajun smoked sausage and the butcher said,"butts on sale?", and started laughing! So I guess my next project is some more hocks. They sure makes goooooooood beans!

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
Never tried pop's recipe although I can see its allure. Agree on all points above; we grind our own now for years and when the wife sticks her nose up at pretty much everything in restaurants (let alone store-bought), you know you got something good. Only problem is all the work but it's worth it.

Kinda want to make a venison pop's recipe and stuff it in hogs for a lunch sausage.. maybe add some rosemary.

Reactions: bdskelly
You using your own red pepper flakes in those? Hotter?

If you see butts on sale, you better fill up that freezer. I am on my last link of cajun smoked sausage and the butcher said,"butts on sale?", and started laughing! So I guess my next project is some more hocks. They sure makes goooooooood beans!
Yes. Flakes from my red peppers. Which use to be your red peppers, which use to be your dads red peppers lol. And it goes on and on

Reactions: chopsaw
I use a mix from TSM . Hot pork sausage . It's hot . Makes great sausage gravy .

Never tried pop's recipe although I can see its allure. Agree on all points above; we grind our own now for years and when the wife sticks her nose up at pretty much everything in restaurants (let alone store-bought), you know you got something good. Only problem is all the work but it's worth it.

Kinda want to make a venison pop's recipe and stuff it in hogs for a lunch sausage.. maybe add some rosemary.

Yes sir, I oft times try to improve upon it, but I nearly always come back to basics. hard to beat it. Sister is coming today, she heard about the sausage and the tamales....LOL

Okay kids.
So as I said earlier. Catastrophe has hit the homestead. Yup... We are out of breakfast sausage at the Ponderosa. Jumping into action I did a quick inventory of the rare and exotic spices that are necessary for this project.... use One tablespoon of this per pound of pork.
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup course black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sage (the rubbed kind. Sage loves a good rub)
  • 4.5 TBLS red pepper Flakes. I prefer the southern variety
    CapsiceaeFoamHeartBurnus

Reactions: chopsaw
Okay kids.
So as I said earlier. Catastrophe has hit the homestead. Yup... We are out of breakfast sausage at the Ponderosa. Jumping into action I did a quick inventory of the rare and exotic spices that are necessary for this project.... use One tablespoon of this per pound of pork.
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup course black pepper
  • 1/2 cup sage (the rubbed kind. Sage loves a good rub)
  • 4.5 TBLS red pepper Flakes. I prefer the southern variety
    CapsiceaeFoamHeartBurnus

<Chuckles>

574FED82-9D89-4243-A505-0DD9446F8704.jpeg

58C4C837-3DE2-4CC4-A55D-5A6A6E3772DD.jpeg

A560E97C-E843-40A9-BD1B-5F2BBD47025C.jpeg

34F48AAB-9B54-4FD3-B339-FEC4A64B1756.jpeg

2584767C-637D-4C8A-A94F-BAA9EA0AE7FA.jpeg

Patties go back to the freezer overnight. We will vac pack them in the morning. B

0F65BC40-B287-4924-A41A-43167E3C172F.jpeg

I named the one on the right after a friend of mine...

60D6D89C-27D0-4B3D-8C6E-C44615B6163F.jpeg

By the way... 7 pounds of hog after de bone was deboned

You must have been drinking when you took the picture of the ground meat. LOL

So for supper tonight its sausage & eggs, grits and biscuits?
So? Lol actually my finger got caught in the auger

Last edited:
I have about 5 lbs. of already ground pork. I think I will use it and make this tomorrow. Do you suppose the standard store grind would be ok or would you grind finer?

I have about 5 lbs. of already ground pork. I think I will use it and make this tomorrow. Do you suppose the standard store grind would be ok or would you grind finer?
One of the best things I love about grinding your own is the texture. The store going is too fine in my opinion. Mushy ....But different tastes for different folks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky