BBQ Pitmasters: Season 3...Wrap up...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you replay the episodes, they are cooking at least 2 or more of each product.  I do the same at comps, except for brisket.  I usually cook just one, and hope like heck I dont' screw it up. 

Who was Aaron Franklin?

I know he is from TX. somewhere.
Aaron Franklin owns Franklin's BBQ in Austin.  The restaurant was named top BBQ in the nation http://www.bonappetit.com/magazine/...lin-barbecue-best-restaurant-in-america#intro   also had a great write up here http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/us/19ttpatoski.html  you have to get to the restaurant hours before it opens just to get a taste of his BBQ.  It is not uncommon for people to pay people to stand in line for them.  People also will buy his BBQ and resell it in the parking lot for a profit.  

I actually went to Aaron Franklin's restaurant last weekend while taking a little mini vacation in Austin.  We got there at 9am with our lawn chairs and waited till he opened at 11am.  I never thought I would wait in line for two hours for bbq but I did. I would do it again in a heartbeat! There were already people in line, nine or so, when we got there and all of them were singing the praises of Aaron's bbq.  As minutes passed more and more people showed up with their lawn chairs and coolers of beer.  I love to people watch and this is a great place to do it.  By 10:15 the line was past the building flowing into the parking lot.  At this point Aaron has one of his emplyees come out and ask what you will be ordering.  That way they know approximately when they are going to run out of a particuliar meat and inform the people at the end of the line so they can make another choice.

When the door opens at 11am you walk in to see Aaron behind the counter taking your order and slicing your meat for you.  From our experiance, Aaron seem like the nicest guy you ever want to meet.  He engaged us in coversation.  He was pleasant and had a smile on his face the entire time.  He truly seemed like he was happy were were there and treated everyone the same way.

The food was AWESOME!  We had all the meats and each one was wonderful.  The brisket, which is mainly what he is known for, was the best in my opinion.  We didn't get any sides since we had heard the sides weren't all that great.  Infact, I only saw two people with sides on the tray while I was there.  We also bought some miniature pies that Aaron stocks from a local company there is Austin.  It was incredible as well.

I encourage everyone to try Franklin BBQ if you are ever in Austin.  Just know you will need to get there early if you want to try everything.  He serves until he is sold out.  From what I understand, that is typically around 1:30.

Thanks for the update LCGC.  I'm not terribly patient, so I might need a few meds to wait on line, but...for good BBQ, I juist might. 

Thanks for the update LCGC.  I'm not terribly patient, so I might need a few meds to wait on line, but...for good BBQ, I juist might. 
Trust me, there were people medicating themselves with beer the entire time in line.
beercheer.gif
  It was definitly an experience.  Austin has some very interesting people so it's fun to sit back and watch them.  I find it truly amazing by what an incredible following Aaron has created for himself in just three years after starting out in a trailer.  Definitle success story. 

I've only seen one episode of the show. I don't remember where it was, but Johnny Trigg (isn't he from Alvarado, Texas?) was cooking and they gave them a pork belly. He had never seen one and didn't know what to do with it. He watched one of the other competitors and figured out what the cut was and gave it a shot. He might be a damn good pit master - and he lives just up the road from me if he's in Alvarado - but is it possible that he's a one trick pony?

Call me cynical, but those so-called reality shows - especially the ones that are supposed to be competitions of some sort - reek to high Heaven. My bet is that ALL of them are scripted and the winners are known before the shows go into production.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky