Back to cast iron skillets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
I have tried and failed many times trying to fry in a cast iron skillet. I was too either lazy or didn't have enough time to clean and season properly. I have probably thrown away 2-3 cast iron skillets. So I gave it one last try. I bought a new Lodge skillet and followed the cleaning and seasoning instructions. Not that hard.

There are things fried in a cast iron skillet that just can't be duplicated in a skillet made of anything else.

Last edited:
I love the few cast iron pieces I have. Close to impossible to ruin them. I have a 12” frying pan, 17” everyday pan and just added two small 4 or 5” skillets for specialty stuff. I boil them clean if burnt , scrub out with no soap and always oil before I put away.

I started cleaning them with a paste of Kosher salt and then re seasoning. No soap and water. Pretty easy. So far pan fried pork chops and chicken fried steak. Using Crisco vegetable shortening. My ultimate goal is fried apple pies if I can ever find a good recipe. I think maybe bacon grease is required (miss my grandmother).

I have been considering a Blackstone griddle. My nephew has one and loves it. I recently bought a Lodge cast iron grill plate. Can I duplicate a Blackstone on my Masterbulit 560 with the Lodge Cast Iron Grill plate?

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I have tried and failed many times trying to fry in a cast iron skillet. I was too either lazy or didn't have enough time to clean and season properly. I have probably thrown away 2-3 cast iron skillets. So I gave it one last try. I bought a new Lodge skillet and followed the cleaning and seasoning instructions. Not that hard.

There are things fried in a cast iron skillet that just can't be duplicated in a skillet made of anything else.
You threw away CI pans? Man, they had to be destroyed! I had one that was outside for years, we sandblasted it and seasoned it, now it cooks like a champion!

You threw away CI pans? Man, they had to be destroyed! I had one that was outside for years, we sandblasted it and seasoned it, now it cooks like a champion!
I had one that I used as a chip tray in my old MB gasser that I figured was shot. I used a wire brush attachment in a drill to get off all the rust. Washed really well and seasoned twice. Came out beautiful. I've kicked myself a hundred times for throwing away a dutch oven that Mom used for an outside planter pot.
I've never had an issue with soap and water.

That's all I use for the most part . The more you use it the better it gets . No soap for me , just hot water , plastic scrapers and a stiff brush . Light coat of oil after it's clean .
Pre 60's Wagner . Inside is like glass .
20211114_095151.jpg
Newer Lodge with the rough texture . They will get to be just as non stick as the older pans , you just need to use them and get that coating built up . Doesn't have to be smooth .
1639315744065.jpeg
whistlepig whistlepig Get yourself a set of the Lodge plastic scrapers . They're made to fit the pans , to get into the corners and such .
Glad it's working for you .

I picked up a cheap one yesterday. Needed some throw away aluminium pans for smoking and roasting nuts. So hit the Family dollar store yesterday. They had some 8" cast iron pans on the shelf for 6.00 so why not try one. Gave it a quick clean and season yesterday. We'll see how it cooks today not expecting much but if it does ok I might go back and get the rest of them. Just to use on the grill.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I
That's all I use for the most part . The more you use it the better it gets . No soap for me , just hot water , plastic scrapers and a stiff brush . Light coat of oil after it's clean .
Pre 60's Wagner . Inside is like glass .
View attachment 518822
Newer Lodge with the rough texture . They will get to be just as non stick as the older pans , you just need to use them and get that coating built up . Doesn't have to be smooth .
View attachment 518824
whistlepig whistlepig Get yourself a set of the Lodge plastic scrapers . They're made to fit the pans , to get into the corners and such .
Glad it's working for you .
forgot to mention but I do have a Lodge plastic scraper. A life saver.

I have used my 12" skillet 6 times now. I have cleaned with hot water, Kosher salt, and the Lodge plastic scraper each time. No soap. I have seasoned after all six uses. Wiped with vegetable oiled paper towel and baked for an hour at 400 degrees. After each seasoning it becomes a little easier to clean.

It''s not that hard to season the skillet. I am wondering how many more times I need to season it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky