Annual local church school Steak Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
This was the crews 4th year to cook steaks for their fundraiser. Only 350 steaks this year so weather aside a walk in the park lol. Here is what it looked like when I started loading up the Cambros. Forecast said this and thunderstorms all day. Shortly after this it was pouring buckets. Here is the beef, 350 strip Isteaks 3 of us banged out seasoning in 45 minutes. Light layers of both Everglades and Redbeard Seasonings Steak and Brisket rub. Redbeard was donated by our buddy Brad the owner.
Messenger_creation_5fee6a6c-ef76-4f13-a82e-a8b36618c179.jpeg
Messenger_creation_ea5594b8-5b48-478d-b757-01c9a4392eb4.jpeg
Amazingly after we got two 12x12 tents set up the weather cleared. We had good weather other than a short sprinkle and a short hail storm. It was so windy both tents broke so we took the brunt of the small hail. The wind really played havoc on trying to keep the charcoal grill temp below the inferno of hell temp. We went with myself and Meni on the grill, Eddie on temp and cooked transfer and his Dad on finish and storage. Finish us always brushed with a commercial garlic "butter" and a light finish dust of seasoning. I didn't get a lot of cooking pics as we were pretty busy managing the fires but here are a few
Messenger_creation_72530b10-d76f-4e31-a960-e1fbfd8292c7.jpeg
Messenger_creation_517f5ed3-8c4f-4126-8d52-07bdd1c9c6bf.jpeg

FB_IMG_1715429731672.jpg
Here is a a pan ready to but th Cambro.
1000007205-01.jpeg
All as requested were cooked to 140F. Banged them all out in about 3 1/2 hours. They were pretty darn delicious. As usual my butt was kicked by the effort. Standing on concrete all day with plantar fasciitis in my left foot was no bueno lol. I'll recover just in time to do 30 butts for buddies grad parties this weekend. Thanks for looking!

Swear I smelled that in the wind... LOL Looks fantastic and thank you for helping. Glad to see some experience on the grill. Been to a few of those type of events and the stuff was either raw or ruined. Nice call on the Everglades base rub.

Awesome effort Jeff . I agree , those steaks look great . Nice camera work too .
Safe bet with the 140 . Done right that brings some great beef flavor .

Outstanding effort! Looks like y'all took the weather in stride....
Thanks Keith!
They look great. Makes me hungry for 1. Awesome work.
Thanks!
Wow Jeff that was quite a feat battling the wind and rain. Steaks looks great and I'm sure your efforts were appreciated!
Hopefully $$$ was raised !

Keith
Thanks Keith. A little less than most years but did ok. The new principal didn't make it a weekly point of emphasis Over the last month and it showed. Usually we do 400-450.
Looks like you nailed it. Great work 👌
Thanks man
Only 350 steaks huh? Y'all did good. And from what I see....I'd be in line for one!

Jim
They are pretty tasty
Swear I smelled that in the wind... LOL Looks fantastic and thank you for helping. Glad to see some experience on the grill. Been to a few of those type of events and the stuff was either raw or ruined. Nice call on the Everglades base rub.
Ha it was sure windy enough it could have easily made it up your way. That Everglades is a good all purpose seasoning for sure.
Awesome effort Jeff . I agree , those steaks look great . Nice camera work too .
Safe bet with the 140 . Done right that brings some great beef flavor .
Thanks Rich. They are awesome at 140 straight off the grill. Carryover usually outs them at medium to medium well. It's impossible to please everyone so we shoot for that which most are ok with. We offered to do some medium rare pans but they don't want the headache of managing doneness when they make up the dinner boxes.

This was the crews 4th year to cook steaks for their fundraiser. Only 350 steaks this year so weather aside a walk in the park lol. Here is what it looked like when I started loading up the Cambros. Forecast said this and thunderstorms all day. Shortly after this it was pouring buckets. Here is the beef, 350 strip Isteaks 3 of us banged out seasoning in 45 minutes. Light layers of both Everglades and Redbeard Seasonings Steak and Brisket rub. Redbeard was donated by our buddy Brad the owner. View attachment 696733View attachment 696734Amazingly after we got two 12x12 tents set up the weather cleared. We had good weather other than a short sprinkle and a short hail storm. It was so windy both tents broke so we took the brunt of the small hail. The wind really played havoc on trying to keep the charcoal grill temp below the inferno of hell temp. We went with myself and Meni on the grill, Eddie on temp and cooked transfer and his Dad on finish and storage. Finish us always brushed with a commercial garlic "butter" and a light finish dust of seasoning. I didn't get a lot of cooking pics as we were pretty busy managing the fires but here are a few View attachment 696735View attachment 696736
View attachment 696737Here is a a pan ready to but th Cambro. View attachment 696738All as requested were cooked to 140F. Banged them all out in about 3 1/2 hours. They were pretty darn delicious. As usual my butt was kicked by the effort. Standing on concrete all day with plantar fasciitis in my left foot was no bueno lol. I'll recover just in time to do 30 butts for buddies grad parties this weekend. Thanks for looking!

Good on ya'

Great Job Jeff, I'm not confident enough in my skills to take on something like that. Kuddos to you my friend.

Point for sure
Chris

Last edited:
Very nice work Jeff!!

Looks great Jeff! Even with the weather!

Ryan

That should garner you a few bonus points when standing in front of the Pearly Gates, nice work Jeff! RAY

Good on ya'

Looks like a great cook for an excellent cause. Props.

I had scarlet fever as a kid in the late '50's so nothing to do but feel miserable , listen to short wave radio at night, and TV during the day. I always enjoyed the price is right back then (never cared for the newer version). So here is one from 1958. The bonus prize is pretty nice. So is the plane!

Dayum Jeff that's a lot of meat. I knew you could handle it though! Nice work!

Jeff, well done!

- Jason
Thanks guys! Appreciate the positivity

Wow what I feat Jeff! Don't know yo'all do it grilling that many steaks! My hat goes off to you. I juggling oxtail, my pecans and ABT's today. Thats enough to kick my butt!

Great Job Jeff, I'm not confident enough in my skills to take on something like that. Kuddos to you my friend.

Point for sure
Chris
You'd both do just fine and would be welcome additions to the crew!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky