Amazn Smoker went out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob2

Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
Hi all, first time using a smoker. I have an MES 30 and an amazn smoker. Read all about it here before attempting. I smoked 4 2.5" summer sausages and didn't realize until the very end that the amazn smoker was not going - just barely had smoke going out and I opened at like 150F sausage temp, and it hadn't burned at all after 5+ hours and I didn't know any better being my first time. So I lit at both ends and it will get about 40 minutes of real smoke. It will still be OK to eat right it will just affect the flavor? Thoughts? I'm pretty bummed.

B2, It will be fine as long as you added cure to your mix to avoid botulism etc..(nothing to do w/ your smoke issue) You just won't have that smokey flavor in the SS.The Amazen smokers are great BUT you need to let it burn for ten minutes before inserting into your smoker and then it needs air/draft to keep smoking .

Thanks. I wasn't as close to 155 as I thought so I got some more smoke, that probe was closest to the heating element. It actually took forever to hit 155, it seemed like I got to 140 no problem then it took 3 more hours to finish and had to turn the heat way up. I bet I had it in the smoker for 1 hour at 120, 4 at 150, and 3+ at 170+. I was not expecting that, I was thinking 5 hours total. Is that standard issue on time for summer sausage?

B2, Times vary so your times don't seem to bad. Depends on outside temps,IT of SS when it went in etc.

Thanks. I wasn't as close to 155 as I thought so I got some more smoke, that probe was closest to the heating element. It actually took forever to hit 155, it seemed like I got to 140 no problem then it took 3 more hours to finish and had to turn the heat way up. I bet I had it in the smoker for 1 hour at 120, 4 at 150, and 3+ at 170+. I was not expecting that, I was thinking 5 hours total. Is that standard issue on time for summer sausage?
i made 25 pounds of summer sausage over the weekend in my mes40 and it took 17 hours to hit 153 running the smoker @180 with a maverick remote thermometer to confirm temps. I'm going to be going the sous vide route in the future.

Thanks, now I know what to expect. I have learned alot from the "sticky" thread - wish I read that first. What about insulating the smoker for better performance - like with reflectix?

I don’t see why outside air temp would effect the time required to reach the desired internal temperature of the meat if your smoker is able to keep the temp you set the smoker at. I could see it being a problem if you wanted 170 smoker temp and could only get to 155 because of the air temp. To me a smoker temp of 170 is 170 wether it is cold or hot out. Now humidity on the other hand I could understand.

Hi there and welcome!

You may want to walk up to 170F much faster. After my 1 hour at 100F I walk up in 30min to 1 hour increments to the next temp. It just depends on how closely I'm watching the clock hence 30min - 1hr lol.

Also if you microwave your pellets for 1 min, mix and rest for 2 min, then microwave for 1 min ago they will burn better.
On quick smokes like chicken, turkey, ribs, etc. I often burn two rows of pellets with my Pit Boss Competition Blend (it is a lighter flavor) so I get more smoke flavor in time. I wouldn't recommend doing so with 100% Hickory or Mesquite :)

Finally, if you are putting your AMNPS inside your MES then you may want to pull the chip loader out like halfway to help airflow. It seems this is important for those who use the AMNPS inside the MES and guys pull it out in varying degrees so you will have to figure out what works best for you.

Best of luck and I hope everything tastes great! :)

Some advice that I read on here once was to microwave wood pellets, if that's they type of fuel you're using, for a min or so and stir and microwave again. This gets a lot of the moisture out of the pellets so they'll burn better. I also have noticed that I have to leave the wood tray feeder partially pulled out to allow air to still get into the smoker so the wood pellets have air to continue burning. In the past, mine would go out if I didn't allow some air in the smoker. And last, I have learned to only keep in the smoker long enough to get that smoky flavor and then finish out in boiling water. Smoking this sausage can drag out way too long and dry out your meat without the boiling step.

Reactions: Pat1967
tallbm.. I feel like I copied your post almost verbatim lol. Either way.. good experienced advice.

tallbm.. I feel like I copied your post almost verbatim lol. Either way.. good experienced advice.

Hahahaha, hey you have the actual experience to report. I am just regurgitating what others have said they do that works. Your input just helps back up the practice and provide confidence that it will work so feel free to reiterate all you like :D

Thanks that's good info on pulling the smoke tray out.

I did see a video on microwaving the pellets and attempted that originally, but I did 2.5 mins, then 2.5 mins and they lit on fire and burned a hole in the plastic bowl I had them in... So I started over and scrapped microwaving.

Also, I did not fill the water tray with water, could that have slowed things down?

For finishing in boiling water do you just boil in vacuum sealed packs until they hit 155F?

Thanks, I'm learning alot!

Thanks that's good info on pulling the smoke tray out.

I did see a video on microwaving the pellets and attempted that originally, but I did 2.5 mins, then 2.5 mins and they lit on fire and burned a hole in the plastic bowl I had them in... So I started over and scrapped microwaving.

Also, I did not fill the water tray with water, could that have slowed things down?

For finishing in boiling water do you just boil in vacuum sealed packs until they hit 155F?

Thanks, I'm learning alot!

Lol yeah 2.5 min is waaaaay too long. To be safe don't go over 1min 15sec per microwave attempt and I let sit with the door open for 2 min inbetween.
I don't think a filled water tray slowed anything down. I really think it was the amount of time spent at lower temps. You only need to walk up slow enough to ensure the warming doesn't case the fat to really melt and cause "fat out". If you walk up the temp well the fat will behave and not instantly become a liquid and leak out :)

In the MES it is said that there is NO need for water because it is built so well it retains moisture/humidity very well. I've never used water in it and most here report the same :)

I don't boil but I believe I see people just dump them in the water as is but please confirm. I'm sure someone will give you the most accurate info in that department :)

I probably shouldn't have said boiling. I put it in warm water and bring it up until it hits pulling temp. Then I throw the sausage into an ice bath. It seems to be the easiest way for me. You can follow directions all day long and never hit the temps, especially with a smoker loaded full of meat, so it's easier to finish them off in water. I use my turkey fryer pot and burner to do this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky