A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I know it's been over a week since my last update on this build...but there's been a bit of a setback.

On Friday, I was working on rack runners in the main CC - mostly doing tack welds, until I was sure I liked how everything was fitting up. Had just finished a few tacks, put the mig gun back on the cradle and turned away - with the machine still running - to measure and cut another piece of angle iron - when I heard 2 loud cracks from the welding machine, and it quit! I've heard that sound before...something electronic just blew out in the motherboard.

So the welder is down for a while. It's still under warranty, so Lincoln will happily fix it...but this project is on hold - hopefully not for long. Since it happened on Friday, I wasn't able to make arrangements to get it to a certified Lincoln service center until today. They told me the fix may take anywhere between a week to 30 days...depending mostly on how fast they can get parts shipped.

Frustrating - cuz this machine is just over a year old. One more example to prove that They Just Don't Make 'Em Like They Used To!

Red
Which model of Lincoln machine is it? When I was on a plant tour back in 2011 / 2012, they said all their inverter machines were made in Mexico or Poland. They still made their engine drives and large transformer machines in Cleveland.

Didn't Jim say he was looking at getting a welder for his son's GF? Red, maybe you could test drive a new one for Jim and well, you know, get the kinks out of it. Hehehe!

Ryan

Which model of Lincoln machine is it? When I was on a plant tour back in 2011 / 2012, they said all their inverter machines were made in Mexico or Poland. They still made their engine drives and large transformer machines in Cleveland.

It's actually one of their newest models - the Power Mig 211i. It's a new mig-only version based off they're 210MP platform. My understanding is, they have stopped production on the 210 for a newer 215 multi-process machine.

I kinda had reservations about buying a model that had only been in production for a few months. Always some concern that there may still be bugs to work out on brand new models...but figured if it was made by Lincoln, at least they had a good warranty and would stand behind the product...which turns out to be a blessing since mine already crapped out.

Red

Didn't Jim say he was looking at getting a welder for his son's GF? Red, maybe you could test drive a new one for Jim and well, you know, get the kinks out of it. Hehehe!

Ryan

Oh Yeah! We can just throw it on the trailer with the smoker when I pick it up.....Whats a few more OT shifts! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Jim

It's awfully good of Ryan to be so helpful with spending your money, ain't it Jim?? :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:

Red

Good morning Everyone!

Well I'm back in business - my welder is fixed! I picked it up on Monday. Also made a run to the steel yard and the welding supply store while I was out...then spent most of yesterday in the shop catching up!

So I started focusing on the CC interior. Started out be adding a short diverter from the FB. This will direct the heat/smoke under the water pan.

img60.jpg

Next I built runners for a rack that the water pan/ash pan will be welded to.

img61.jpg

img62.jpg

img63.jpg

Got that frame fabricated.

img64.jpg

My plan is to weld the water pan/ash pan directly to this slide-out frame...so Jim can pull it out to add water, dump ashes, etc.

img65.jpg

I got half the cooking rack runners welded in. This begins to show the scale and cooking capacity in the CC. I set the runners on 7" centers...which will make about 6" of clearance between cooking racks.

img66.jpg

That's what I got done yesterday. It turned off cold here again this morning - back in the 20's. I probably won't work out there today, but the temperatures are supposed to be mild again for the rest of the week, so I expect to get back at it tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping in!

Red

WOWSA! Glad to see the welder is back up and running. And its really starting to come together for me how big this thing is gonna be!

Jim

Reactions: seenred
Time for a weekend update!

I've finished welding in cooking rack runners, and have begun fabrication of cooking racks. I got the first one complete - so I could use it to level up the left-side rack runners as I welded them in.

img69.jpg

The first rack fits pretty good! This rack is 23 1/2" x 26 1/2". Multiplied by 4, I calculate the total cooking space is gonna be 2491 sq. inches. As a reference, my gravity feed cabinet smoker, which also has 4 racks, has just over 1800 sq. inches of cooking area. I always thought it was pretty big - but this pit will have nearly 700 sq. in. more!

img70.jpg

img71.jpg

Slide out water pan is also very large. This sliding pan/rack will be multifunctioning. Jim can put water in, leave it dry and simply use it as a baffle plate, or add the drop-in charcoal rack (still to be fabricated) and use the pan as an ash pan.

img72.jpg

img73.jpg

Just this evening, I tacked together the other 3 cooking rack frames - just to get a sense of total cooking capacity and to see if I was happy with the clearance between racks.

img74.jpg

Next time I'm in the shop, I'll finish up fabrication on these 3 remaining cooking racks.

img75.jpg

May not have a chance to work on it tomorrow. Got a Dr. appt. in the morning, and a honey-do project that I have to work on tomorrow afternoon...but I'll definitely be back in the shop in a day or 2.

As always, thanks for checking it out!

More to come...

Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky