A couple mods to the AZ BBQ outfitters vertical

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

3montes

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 26, 2007
Beautifull shores of Lake Superior
I had a local fab guy do some mods to my vertical over the winter. First I had him add another exhaust to the right side of vertical in hopes of creating a more even draw. AZ BBQ Outfitters built it with one exhaust mounted on the left side. I should have picked up on it when I looked at the pictures before he built it that it would obviously run hot on the exhaust side but I missed it.

If I had it loaded with ribs the 3 bones on the left side would char black before the rest of the rib got done. I would have to constantly flip them from end to end. Major pain when you have 28 racks loaded. Here it is with the new exhaust added. Going to put fire to it tomorrow to see if the problem is solved.

Also it had a ramp on the back. The trailer was designed to drive a 4 wheeler or snowmobile on. During the course of the cook you would get meat drippings on the bottom of your shoes from standing on the deck of the smoker where the meat drippings would go once you opened it up and pulled the racks out to turn or spritz the meat. I had a few exciting rides down the ramp last year!
biggrin.gif
So I had the ramp cut down to where it was no longer a ramp but just a step up.

The fab guy was kind enough to store it in his shop for me all winter too! I just have to cook ribs for a summer party for him!
439.gif

Plan to put the fire to it around noon today to see how it draws. Then I'm going to do a test run on chicken wings with it for a upcoming grad party I'm cooking for in a couple weeks. They want wings for 250!
icon_eek.gif
Wings are in the Oak Ridge BBQ Brine mix right now. Also got about 50lbs of pork butts in my other rig which have been on since 8am. Being semi retired I took the day off to get this stuff done. Been raining for a week but today is shaping up pretty nice!

Well I got a mixed bag. When I first fired up the vertical it was still running hot on the left side. I closed the left side exhaust entirely and it still ran hot on that side. When I first got the fire going I built it big. i wanted to burn out any oils from the cutting and welding so it was running over 500 degrees in the smoke chamber. after a couple hours and a nice bed of coals it seems to have even out. Within 15 degrees from either side or the middle. This is empty of course no food in it. I'm about to put a couple racks of wings in and see how that goes. 

Got both the rigs fired up today. Pork butts in the horizontal and wings will be in the vertical real soon! Been a good day!
sausage.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky