1st Time Bacon Cold Smoking - Using The A-MAZE-N-SMOKER Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"How did it taste?"  --My question exactly! I have a 12 lb. belly in the smoker right now, using Todd's pitmaster blend. I've had to open the door a couple times (did some cheese, too) and now my shirt smells great!
Are you using an offset smoker like I am?  Also, are you using a fan like I did to blow the smoke around the bacon and also get good airflow so the pellets will burn?  

looks great.
icon14.gif

Just did some yesterday myself.

I see you had a fan in the fire box. if you had trouble with the AMNPS staying lit. you can put the AMNPS on the grate in the fire box

and open the ash door few inches and the smoker should stay lit. I got 13 hours out of a full load yesterday and it  never went out.

No, I have a stainless commercial fridge conversion that I use. But there is plently of airflow, so the pellets are burning fine. I'm about 5-1/2 hours into it right now, and the AMNPS is only about halfway burned.

I think the peach wood might have a little input as to why your bacon tastes like Honey Smoked Ham. Peach is the sweetest wood I have ever used, and the end product might be a little sweet for some tastes.

Last edited:
No, I have a stainless commercial fridge conversion that I use. But there is plently of airflow, so the pellets are burning fine. I'm about 5-1/2 hours into it right now, and the AMNPS is only about halfway burned.

I think the peach wood might have a little input as to why your bacon tastes like Honey Smoked Ham. Peach is the sweetest wood I have ever used, and the end product might be a little sweet for some tastes.
Funny enough never tried peach before but I helped cut down a friends old peach tree and tried to make rib eye steak with lump charcoal and added some peach splits from the tree and it tasted amazinly good so I thought I'd try it with bacon.  But if that added to the extra sweet flavor of the bacon I think next time I'll do 50% hickory, 35% oak, and 15% peach.  By backing off the percentage of peach that might make it taste less like Honey Baked Ham. Not a bad taste but not what I was looking for.  Thanks! 

I missed this one!

You know it's done when the color changes to a Red/Mahogany color, usually at 8-12 hours

Peach is very light, and does not throw much color

Apple, oak, pecan, hickory, maple and cherry all throw very nice color

Keep On Smokin'!

Todd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky