13th Annual South Florida Gathering (Dec 7th-8th 2024)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Howdy all! As always we try to plan way in advance for the South Florida Gathering at Highland Hammock State Park in Sebring, FL. It looks like non-florida residents cannot book until February (11 months in advance), so be ready to book as soon possible. More details to come about the event and festivities :)

There are RV and tent camping sites available. You are welcome to reserve near the main group or if you want your privacy we wont be offended if you park further away from the group.

Looking forward to another one!

Date(s)
The main day is Saturday, December 7th, for anyone just making a day trip. This is when we have a day of cooking, camaraderie, games, and fun! Many people make a weekend (or longer) out of this so feel free to show up whenever and leave whenever.

Highland Hammock State Park, Sebring, Florida

Event Activities
TBD

Attendees
dougmays dougmays - Site 81 (12/5-12/8)
@JckDanls 07 - Site 88 and 87 (The Gathering Site)

....more details will be added here over time and feel free to post with any questions
I should be able to make it this year for a day trip🙏

Reactions: dougmays
hey everyone! Sorry i've been a bit awol, things have been very busy around here. I've updated the people/site info in post #1. Looking forward to this year!

For the cooking competition....we ususally do a "friendly" rib comp but a suggest was made last gathering to instead pick a type of meat and we all make it however we want. I like this idea. Any thoughts on how we should do this? I can a random item generator to help us pick? Any recommendations on cuts of meat or types to cook? Looking for ideas.... :)

For some reason I am no longer getting notifications of any Finally booked site 112 which was as close we could get to 88. Look forward to see seeing everyone again.
FYI if anyone has to cancel a site closer please let me know. It’s a long walk with a cane.
My wife wouldn't mind if we were further from the wild bunch. Maybe we can swap without going through reservation system that charges. I booked #86 which is cane distance. If you come in on Thursday simply take #86 and we'll take #112
hey everyone! Sorry i've been a bit awol, things have been very busy around here. I've updated the people/site info in post #1. Looking forward to this year!

For the cooking competition....we ususally do a "friendly" rib comp but a suggest was made last gathering to instead pick a type of meat and we all make it however we want. I like this idea. Any thoughts on how we should do this? I can a random item generator to help us pick? Any recommendations on cuts of meat or types to cook? Looking for ideas.... :)
Finger food or appetizers come to mind. That really opens it up to meat choices.

I love the idea of a flexible cooking comp instead of just ribs. A random item generator sounds like a fun way to pick the meat. How about we do a mix of beef, pork, and chicken options? Maybe something like brisket, pork belly, or chicken thighs? Or we could do a 'ystery meat' where everyone gets a surprise cut to work with. What do you think?

Reactions: dougmays

For the cooking competition....we ususally do a "friendly" rib comp but a suggest was made last gathering to instead pick a type of meat and we all make it however we want. I like this idea. Any thoughts on how we should do this? I can a random item generator to help us pick? Any recommendations on cuts of meat or types to cook? Looking for ideas...

My wife works part time in a graphics shop that has screen printing, vinyl printing, and embroidery.
She's wondering if anyone is interested in creating a t-shirt (or other wearable garment) to celebrate the gathering.
She's big on t-shirts and was wearing her "Highland Hammock" shirt on Friday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky