“Mealy” sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbo_c

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
These sausages were made side by side. One has good texture, the other is mealy.

The meat block wasn’t separated until after being ground twice, so it’s definitely not the meat or fat. They were spiced, mixed and stuffed separately(obviously). They were cooked together using SV.

I guess it has to be a mixing/bind issue, though I would have sworn they were both done the same.

The “mealy” recipe has been made successfully before, so it’s not any of the ingredients causing the problem.

Is there anything else it could be? Am I missing something?

Jbo

Attachments

• 19A5C396-6255-47D3-BAFD-288FD60CFBED.jpeg
    19A5C396-6255-47D3-BAFD-288FD60CFBED.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 4A5975BE-D454-478E-AEEF-12E42252148C.jpeg
    4A5975BE-D454-478E-AEEF-12E42252148C.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the response. Seems unlikely though since these were cooked SV. ? I could certainly be wrong.

There is a color difference, but that’s the two different recipes.

Jbo

Since you've made it before with different results (exact same recipe?) I guess it pretty much has to a mixing thing. I assume you're using a binder of some sort. Is it possible you somehow forgot it?
No insult intended. I've done it...

It looks over cooked to me too . You said you used SV . What temp and for how long ?
Did you bag ? If not maybe the one took on water .
If I'm splitting a batch I grind , mix then split . Season and remix . The one in question looks smaller , but that may be the picture .

What was the time and temp in SV?
Looks like it could be over temperature but also could not have been mixed long enough. The mix should become sticky and a bit stringy.

It could also be meat temp during grinding or getting the internal too high, but the SV should have stopped that. Do you use a binder? Powdered milk works wonders.

I used to do my FB sausages in a water bath, but now I use SV too. I do bring mine up slowly in steps.... 125°, 135° to 150°, then cook for 3 hours. Then I use an ice bath finish. Mine look just like your batch on the left.
YmXcsuP.jpg

I used thirdeye’s cook basically, ‘cept my temps were 130-140-152.

Actually, no binder in either batch. Guess I should add some to the recipe as insurance.

I’m going with, it has to be the mixing.

On the plus side, the flavor is good. - and on a sandwich, you can’t tell.

Thanks for the ideas.

Jbo

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky