Venison Polish Sausage - Fresh vs. Smoked for Beginner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cliff13

Original poster
Dec 26, 2023
I'm an avid bow hunter and would like to make my own polish sausage with jalapenos and cheese.

I used to get these made from a butcher that is no longer around, but after sticking them on a charcoal grill I was in heaven. However, I do NOT know if they were smoked or made "fresh" and frozen. They were vacuum packed and all I was told was to cook them on the grill or in a frying pan.

Now I'm on the hunt to duplicate them and after lots of research, I'm still a bit confused on what's needed, or not, if wanting to grind the meat, stuff the casings, and freeze them. I do NOT have a smoker (yet) so want to keep it simple and vacuum pack the sausages to be frozen and cooked at a later date.

Most of the kit's I've seen include cure and, as I understand it, a cure is NOT needed if stuffing & freezing right away. Is that correct, and even if so, is there any harm in using the cure to be on the safe side? Does it have an added benefit from a safety perspective and coloring? Any other considerations?

As far as kits are concerned, are there any specific jalapeno and cheddar recipes that you all recommend? Or companies you recommend buying the ingredients from? I've seen the PS Seasonings, Hi Mountain, etc. but looking for recommendations.

Any other tips or tricks I should take into consideration when making these sausages WITHOUT smoking them?

I'm very familiar with trimming the venison and believe I have a good understanding of the ratio of venison to fat, etc. It's more the process and safety issues with grinding, stuffing, storing, and cooking.

I've been on this forum for hours now and can tell I'm in the right place. Thanks in advance!

First question I have is that if they were smoked, you should taste a hint of smoke flavor even if they were lightly smoked and frozen....also, a smoked sausage usually have cure #1 added and the meat will have turned pink upon smoking/cooking.

Correct, cure#1 is not needed for a fresh sausage that will be either frozen or cooked right away (or within about 5 days in the fridge). AND when cooking, the links need to be hot smoked at 225*F or grilled or fried in a hot pan and the internal temp. of the links needs to reach 140*F within 4 hours.

Reactions: Cliff13
Indaswamp has you covered, the only thing I will add is the cure will give you a different texture ( more firm) and give the meat a bit of a different flavor,

Reactions: zwiller
Indaswamp has you covered, the only thing I will add is the cure will give you a different texture ( more firm) and give the meat a bit of a different flavor,

Thanks smokerjim smokerjim ! I realize taste and texture are subjective, but in general do you think most gravitate towards liking the taste and texture a bit more with the cure vs. without it? I'm assuming most are used to it, which would lead me to think most "like" it better given it's what they are used to.

And if I understand it correctly, the cure adds some red / pink coloring? Any reason to NOT use the cure even if I don't have to?

make my own polish sausage with jalapenos and cheese.
These were smoked and poached . They are ready to eat after poaching , but I throw them on the grill for eating . Jalapeno cheddar .
20221027_121017.jpg
20221027_122104.jpg

No harm in adding cure . Like Jim says it will change the taste and texture . When I make " smoked sausage " I add the cure to the whole batch . I smoke some , but also leave some unsmoked and finish on the grill .
I do NOT know if they were smoked or made "fresh"
These came from the same batch of sausage . Cured and smoked , and no cure just grilled .
Cured / smoked .
20201028_164433.jpg
Just grilled , no cure .
20220131_105022.jpg

Thanks smokerjim smokerjim ! I realize taste and texture are subjective, but in general do you think most gravitate towards liking the taste and texture a bit more with the cure vs. without it? I'm assuming most are used to it, which would lead me to think most "like" it better given it's what they are used to.

And if I understand it correctly, the cure adds some red / pink coloring? Any reason to NOT use the cure even if I don't have to?
I personally like the cure, gives a little hammy taste. really can't speak for anyone else. The only reason I could think of not to use it is if you are trying not to eat nitrites/nitrates.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky