You've got to try this!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I am just a simple ol'country boy incase you've missed that some how. I love to learn from  the true chefs around here as to things which sometimes carry over in my general cookings. I have known about toasting spices for a long time, to "release those essential oils". Seriously I have tried it and sometimes when I am feeling like a culinary super star do I do it. but its never been a necessity in my opinion.

I was just totally taken aback with a jar of cinnamon. Its a very common brand that I use because Mom did also. She probably used it because it was easily accessible even in her younger days in most even small grocery stores.

I have it in my spice locker, holidays upcoming, its the winter months, its been a year, I am evaluating my spices for reorder. So this time I didn't notice when I ordered roasted Saigon cinnamon vice just regular Saigon cinnamon (I think its a better taste, probably just another rip off but I like it).

ZOWIE!! Here's what I taste, and try sometime explaining a taste to someone, I dare you! Its still the same cinnamon but..... that background taste I always assoc. with the spice, that one that makes my tongue go numb when I taste cinnamon, its not in anyway there with the roasted in the taste or the aroma. I have never noticed such a huge difference in cinnamon and I like it I think. Its different, it's a more distinct cinnamon but its missing that numbing factor. I could compare it to a certain drug that numbs the tongue also, or so I have read.

I challenge you when in the store, and its that time of the year to be renewing or replacing low quantity spices, to use your sniffer without opening the bottles and see what you think about the toasted spices. I know someone in a grocery store will be standing there laughing wondering about the guy sniffing the spices...>LOL

Try it, I swear I can smell this difference in cinnamon, now I wonder about other spices. AND if you'll check they will be restocking the spice shelves at the store now or soon for the holidays. And seriously a dollar more a bottle maybe....... Hell ya can't get a beer for that savings.

Just passing along the rants and ravings of a dumb coonazz country redneck.

I'll be looking for that the next time I'm in the big city.  I don't think I've ever even seen toasted cinnamon, let alone tasted it.

Thanks for the tip

Gary
Now I am going to have to see what is available that I can try. I didn't really care for the smoked paprika, and some spices burn soo easy, but ya know there has got to be more out there.

I've gotta try this because I love cinnamon in both sweet and savory foods. One of my favorite cooking smells and tastes. There is a really great spice distributor around here that sells to the public. They would probably be my best bet to carry it.

It was surprising to me as I said. I have thrown spices in a skillet before but never saw that huge difference. This really was surprising to me, and its why I shared.

Hey it maybe that its just fresher than normal or something.

It was surprising to me as I said. I have thrown spices in a skillet before but never saw that huge difference. This really was surprising to me, and its why I shared.

Hey it maybe that its just fresher than normal or something.
hahaha I understand that.  I have some spices in my cabinet that are so old the food police would come knock down my door if they knew.  I still use them and like the food I make with them so maybe one day when they have to be refreshed it will be a culinary epiphany to taste fresh spices 

Actually I do pretty good. Yes there are those strange tastes in the spice locker seldom get used, even more since I started sausage recipes. Someone says hotdogs = mace, I gotta have some just incase. LOL

I am not like some I have seen here and have walls of spices, but my sister laughs and says, "you know what Mom could have made had she those spices you've got?"

I have before grown some of my own. after drying and possibly crushing I could tell little again difference between it and the store bought.

Last edited:
hahaha I have two big cabinets full of spices.  The basics I use often so they are refilled and fresh.  But somehow I have accumulated 3 jars of dill, about 16 jars of allspice and half a dozen containers and celery seed.  I think they are reproducing in my cabinets hahaa

hahaha I have two big cabinets full of spices.  The basics I use often so they are refilled and fresh.  But somehow I have accumulated 3 jars of dill, about 16 jars of allspice and half a dozen containers and celery seed.  I think they are reproducing in my cabinets hahaa
Know the feeling. I cleaned out the spice cabinet at the beginning of the summer and discovered 14 half empty bottles of dry mustard, 2 bottles of coriander, 7 bottles of chili powder and 4 of cayenne. Must be the spice rabbits or something.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky