New to This- Is This Cooked?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hmcghee

Original poster
Mar 13, 2024
Hello all,

I’m new to smoking and just wondering if this looks normal for a smoked drumstick or if this is not cooked. I know that the meat keeps its pink color, just wondering if this is too much. I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Attachments

• 342BD4F2-6E59-4D97-A9C2-F3F7242BC9DD.png
    342BD4F2-6E59-4D97-A9C2-F3F7242BC9DD.png
    713.2 KB · Views: 73
I’m sorry y’all- to be completely honest, I am currently expecting a baby who should be here very soon and I was served this at a smokehouse. I was very nervous for both baby and my health after I took a bite and immediately stopped eating it. I had read on your forum about how smoked meat is often pink and was hoping that was it. I’m a big cook myself and ALWAYS temp check with my thermapen. I think I was just looking for some reassurance that it was indeed cooked despite the look and I thought I would ask some experts. I shouldn’t have been dishonest. I’m sorry that I used this forum for something it wasn’t for. I will leave now but in the future, if I take up smoking, I’ll use it for the right reasons. Thank you!

When expecting and in doubt drop it. You did the right thing. Maybe it was that well smoked (but I doubt it). Follow your gut instinct, it won't let you or the soon to be little one down.

Edit: welcome and the vast majority of people on here will give you great advice if you just ask. It's a really great group of people.

Reactions: JLinza
I’m sorry y’all- to be completely honest, I am currently expecting a baby who should be here very soon and I was served this at a smokehouse. I was very nervous for both baby and my health after I took a bite and immediately stopped eating it. I had read on your forum about how smoked meat is often pink and was hoping that was it. I’m a big cook myself and ALWAYS temp check with my thermapen. I think I was just looking for some reassurance that it was indeed cooked despite the look and I thought I would ask some experts. I shouldn’t have been dishonest. I’m sorry that I used this forum for something it wasn’t for. I will leave now but in the future, if I take up smoking, I’ll use it for the right reasons. Thank you!
No reason for any apology, everyone here will always give advice to someone in need. Good luck with your family!

Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
That’s very kind. Thank you for your grace! I hope you have a wonderful evening!

Yeah. Your carrying, you did good by not eating. Gotta protect you and the young one. I have probed chicken that looked like that and it was safe temp. But don't if you didn't cook it

Yep, if you have doubts. "Drop that drumstick" especially since you are caring for someone else too. And the guys are right, no harm in asking. But always trust your gut.

Wow, smokers are the nicest! Thank you all so much for your kindness.

The Ph of the bird and age have an impact on color as well from a perfectly cooked bird. Temp is the ultimate gauge. Also, If it was tender and not chewy and coming off the bone, then it was over 165 because color nor time is the predictor and tenderness with dark meat is over 165. Virtually NEVER are people getting Salmonellosis from even under cooked poultry. People are getting sick in the kitchen from bad prep practices. Follow the FSIS chart not the highest number on the chart that ends in 3 seconds at 165. When the chart has the duration of zero it ends that log reduction in bacteria in this case Salmonella and you have entered over a 7 log reduction in Salmonella. Of course dark meat with more myglobin, collagen, tendons, ligaments, cartilage and bone is insulated and red vs white meat but when it hit 150 for a 5 min hold or 155 for a 1 min hold or 165 for a 3 second hold they all reduced 10 million Salmonella bacteria to one. The bird was safely pasteurized a long time ago even though red poultry meat is not appetizing like beef and others. If you cook breast meat only and pull at 150 or higher you'll have the juiciest, perfectly, safely cooked, opaque, no pink white meat you've ever had. Especially folks that Sous Vide chxn breast and pasteurize in the 140s. If you cook breast meat only to 165 you don't know what your missing. Don't follow words that even the USDA FSIS contradicts themselves with and The FDA on beef, Lamb and pork because these two federal agencies are not in alignment with each other so we have two agencies. Also, they are not in alignment with themselves and contradict their own tables of pasteurization. No need to listen to peoples words. Look at the numbers of temp and duration and that's it. DO NOT do anything but follow the two current charts. 2009 FDA beef, lamb and pork starts at 130 for 112 mins and ends at 158 zero seconds. 2005 USDA FSIS poultry for 12% fat (the longest duration) starts at 136 for 86 minutes and ends at 165 for 3 seconds. The math has been done for us.

Hi Smoker Friends,

I just wanted to write to thank you all again for your kindness and share with you, that despite the raw chicken debacle, our lil bundle of joy arrived healthy and happy! Pregnancy paranoia got the best of me but I am so thankful that our precious lil angel is here.

I was really inspired by the support and kindness shown on this forum. Keep up the good work! I wish all of the internet was like this!
945C65A0-62E9-4185-96C0-38FE7ED47AAD.jpeg

That's a cutie! She may not have her finger around you yet but she will and it will be that way for the rest of your life. Best part, you wouldn't want it any other way. Congrats!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky