WSM/Charcoal Smoker Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

djtech2k

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
WV
So I am in my 2nd season of learning to smoke.  I started with an awful vertical smoker and an extremely old horizontal offset smoker.  I always struggled with temps, so I have basically retired them and bought a MES40/AMNPS a while back.  I like a lot about it, but I would like to get back to a real chharcoal/wood burner.

For best all-around value/performance I had been planning to buy a WSM.  So before I make a purchase, is there any other smoker I should consider in the WSM price range?  The vertical style makes me a little nervous, but I have read thousands of great reviews.  Just checking before I spend the $$.

Along with that, whats the best deal for a 22.5" WSM?

Agreed.  I am just doing a final check to see if there is anything else I should consider and where to get the best price for the WSM.

the only problem I see with a WSM.. and it's not really a problem... I don't own a full grown WSM but I do have a mini... For me I like to be able to get to the meat unobstructed... in other words not having to take out racks full of meat to get to the ones on the bottom... but otherwise they do perform really well...

Does the Full 22.5" WSM have that issue?  I thought you could get to the fire without opening the top.

yes you can get to the fire with out taking the top off ( I didn't mention anything about the fire)... what I am talking about is the meat racks (2-3 racks).. when stacking meat on bottom racks and top racks a swell... if bottom meat gets done first then you have to remove the top rack first and set it aside,,, I just like an unobstructed path to my meat....

i got mine local on sale for 20% off. used it for first time today and it performed fantastic! looking forward to smoking a butt and brisket tomorrow.

All the WSM followers say to buy the 22.5 size. Vertical style is not as relevant as air flow control.
I prefer the 18" by far.  Since I typically only cook for 2-3 people having the smaller unit burns 40% less fuel and is a lot easier to get up to temp.  However I did purchase a 18" Pro-Q Stacker for about $50 which gives me an extra ring and an extra 18" of cooking surface. 

If you add up the 3 18" cooking surfaces I now have 54" total and the 22" with 2 grates only has 44" so actually have MORE room, but only when I need it.

I've managed to cook 18 slabs of ribs at once and 6 12" butts at once giving me a LOT of room for big cooks when I really need it. 

The key is flexibility with this setup and ironically it cost less than a 22" WSM!!

Good point.  I guess I never thouht about it that way.  Has anyone found the 18" too small?

I love my 18...

Makes plenty of food..go ahead..search my posts...

It uses a lot less charcoal than the 22...

What do I know..I love my mes 30 too...hahahahaha

I have a 22.5" WSM and love it.  It uses a good amount of fuel, that is true, but I can smoke 6 pork butts at once and keep it going for over 12 hours easy without reloading!

I am actually thinking of buying another ring to increase my cooking space for those summer time parties!

As far as finding something as good as the WSM in the price range?  I'm not sure that's possible.

Good luck and good smoking.

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky