WSM airflow on long smokes with ash build up?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, I'm not sure what's going on with your WSM. I get about three full smokes out of a bag of Kingsford with my WSM 18.5. I make sure my ash pit has been cleaned out before I start, and don't seem to run into any problems. I am using a Pittmaster IQ to help regulate my temperature. I clean out the coals, reusing anything large enough to be reused. With the IQ, I run with all of my vents closed, and I always use water, although the amount varies with how large go a smoke I'm doing. I'd love to figure out what is going on with yours.

Minion method. Water in pan. Kingsford comp briquettes. Low 40's temp all night with 7-10 mph winds.
There is your issue - at those temps a light steady wind will cause you to use almost twice as much fuel as you would normally..... and yes eventually you will fill your bowl up with ash. Thankfully the solution is easy - insulation. You can either build a small wooden enclosure or do what I do - buy a welding blanket to wrap your smoker in. I have the 22.5" WSM and use a 6 ft. x 8 ft. blanket, then I use some large metal clips (thing giant clothes pins) from Home Depot to hold the edges together.

Even on cold windy days this is enough to make your fuel use almost as efficient as it is in summer. I have ran my 22.5" loaded with 20 lbs. of charcoal for 15+ hrs. on a day that was 37° and 10-15 MPH steady breeze. Wind is actully the worst enemy of your smoker vs. temperature, but the welding blanket does a great job of helping with both issues, is cheap to buy, and folds up small when you are not using it.

There is your issue - at those temps a light steady wind will cause you to use almost twice as much fuel as you would normally..... and yes eventually you will fill your bowl up with ash. Thankfully the solution is easy - insulation. You can either build a small wooden enclosure or do what I do - buy a welding blanket to wrap your smoker in. I have the 22.5" WSM and use a 6 ft. x 8 ft. blanket, then I use some large metal clips (thing giant clothes pins) from Home Depot to hold the edges together.

Even on cold windy days this is enough to make your fuel use almost as efficient as it is in summer. I have ran my 22.5" loaded with 20 lbs. of charcoal for 15+ hrs. on a day that was 37° and 10-15 MPH steady breeze. Wind is actully the worst enemy of your smoker vs. temperature, but the welding blanket does a great job of helping with both issues, is cheap to buy, and folds up small when you are not using it.
The welding blanket is a great idea, i've used those myself. If he get's something like a bbqguru that will pretty much solve any wind problem as well because he can completely close his bottom vent. 

The welding blanket is a great idea, i've used those myself. If he get's something like a bbqguru that will pretty much solve any wind problem as well because he can completely close his bottom vent. 
Correct.... but it doesn't help with the heat loss from the wind blowing across the exposed body, best of both worlds would be a Guru with a wrapper/shed. I'm just to cheap to shell out money for a Guru.... lol.

i will try the blanket. and i have a Guru cyberQ wifi i was running.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky