wing sauce??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Don't have any particular great wing sauce recipes but may I suggest that you smoke the wings, let them sit in the hot sauce overnight then fry them and toss in more sauce when done?
Tried them once that way and they were fantastic!

Did I hear Wings?? I have been making and perfecting wings for many years,in fact I just finished making & eating some of the best I have done to date.(but I always say that with a new try)What I have found is as Chris stated fry your wings first(deep fryer is prefered)till crisp,I fry the drumletts first set aside than the wing portion(also I buy whole wings and brine than chop into 2 pieces,drum and wing)after fried put into a deep fry-pan with a stick of Butter and whatever hot sauce u like(tonite I used Tapati'o and Tabasco Green pepper sauce-prolly 1/4 cup of each for a dozen whole wings(24 pieces)heat and stir often on Low heat for about 1/2 hr.line a cookie sheet with foil dump wings and sauce on seperate so there not touching heat at 300 for another 1/2 hr.I know it sounds like alot of work but very well worth it.or u can go to astrays.com,I think theres 500 recipies in there.

I have a buddy from Buffalo N.Y. and he knows the original formula, cut off the tip and deep fry. Put in oven and crisp. Next toss in bowl with butter,FRANKS hot sauce......only FRANKS, and Worchestchire sauce. Toss in bowl until covered. BLUE CHEESE not Ranch!!!!
icon_smile.gif

If you enjoy eating mold...
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

I know lots of folks love it but ugh...I just don't get it, not pleasing to my pallet, doesn't look appealing, becomes even worse texturally when heated...
Meh, to each his/her own though but I'll take a side of ranch if they are hot, if not then nothing but seasoning and good moisture and I'm a happy wing man, though garlic wings are awesome.

here one i have done on wings and drum sticks.
1 jar 14 or 18 oz. of Orange Marmalade
1/3 cup of honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Sriracha Sauce
or franks wing sauce is a great one too!!

I would just go to Hooter's and get some wings and then order then 10 at a time. Hey the shorts are worth the wait.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Try this one:

2 T Butter
1 Large Shallot chopped
2 Large coves garlic chopped
2 Ounces Bourbon
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C Honey
1 T Ancho Pepper finely chopped
8 Oz Chili Sauce
8 Oz Barbecue Sauce
3 OZ Wing Sauce

In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the shallot and garlic and saute. Probably about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the bourbon, brown sugar and the honey to heat through. Next add the ancho pepper, chili sauce, barbeque sauce, and the wing sauce......cook stirring occasionally for 2 minutes. Keep warm until ready to serve.

I've got other recipes as well........let me know if you would like to try a variety of sauces instead of just this one.

Good luck, John

Simple syrup is the key.

You'll get heat and sweet. Just be careful about cooking with sugary syrup sauce.

Make a traditional batch of wing sauce (butter, hot sauce & optional cayenne). Then mix it in with some simple syrup (adjust amount of melted butter you use so it's not too thin).

If you're not a big vinegar fan, go easy on the hot sauce and substitute cayenne for the heat.

FWIW, simple syrup is just equal parts water and sugar (helps if you use hot water so sugar will dissolve).

I usually smoke for about 2 hours with a rub on it, then fry for a minute or 2 then toss in sauce. For sauce, I usually just go with a Hot Sauce, Butter, and honey. Turns out pretty well.

when ever I make it with hot sauce (Crystal) it always comes out really thin and watery is there a mix ratio of butter to hot sauce?

And how much butter will it take make enough wing sauce for a hole party maybe like 100-200 wings?

although im a newbie to smoking, i feel deep frying wings is one of my strong suits. first, you gotta make sure the wings are dry. then deep fry them at 350 degrees until they float for a couple minutes. longer if you like them crispier. again, they must be dry to get that good crisp crunch on the outside.

for the sauce, i like to mix up my own little concoction, not too far off from regular old buffalo sauce, but here it is...

(amts are approximate, as ive never measured it, always just eyeballed it)
cup of favorite hot sauce (i prefer franks)
1/2 stick of butter
heaping tbs of grape jelly
some fresh ground black pepper
a clove or two of minced garlic
1/8 cup of v8
a few squirts of Sriracha hot sauce (for a little extra kick)

enjoy.
i would love to have some feed back on this sauce from others besides my friends, all comments welcome.
thanks
titus

I like to make hot wings, several times a year. I have played with a couple of recipes, however I found it is hard to improve on Franks. Franks either straight or with some butter.

I get a gallon of Franks at costco or sams before Superbowl, and try to use it up during the year. I have found Franks works really well for a hot sauce "kick it up" in several recipes.

I've tried several sauces. Some are "hot sauce" based, some are "sweet BBQ sauce" based.

My favoraite is a hot sauce based one that is supposedly from the Anchor Bar in Buffalo where they were supposedly invented (who knows how much, if anything, on the internet is true...) To me, this is a traditional kind of wing sauce...........

IngredientsDirections
  1. The Sauce: This makes enough for about 30 "wingettes." Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted. Stir occasionally.
  2. The Wings: Fry the wings in a deep fryer set at 375 degrees F using vegetable or peanut oil. Fry 15 wings at a time for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain the wings for a few minutes then put them in a bowl. After all the wings have been fried, pour the sauce over them, cover the bowl, and shake to completely coat the wings.
  3. They can be eaten now, or you can put them on a baking sheet and bake them for a few minutes to get an extra-crispy coating.
Personally, I usually grill drumettes to get a nice sear (try to stay away from frying), then finish on the cool side of the grill. Mop with the sauce a couple of times on the cool side the add additional sauce when they are done.

Might try smoking some next time...........

Gotta have blue cheese - mold is where it's at!

Good hunting!

I have done the recipe on a bottle of Franks Hot Suace with good success.

For a nice variation do 1 stick butter, 1 cup Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce (nod to Ron P. here
biggrin.gif
), fry (or bake if you don't have fryer) your wings, toss in sauce, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onion. Makes awesome wings for people that either don't like the spicy or just want a change.

Reactions: patsy yates
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky