Will too much airflow dry out pork shoulder?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ryan Tonelli

Original poster
Dec 23, 2018
Hey everyone. New to the forum and would like to start off by saying thank you all for the overwhelming amount of information I have learned since I began smoking. I am using a Masterbuilt 30” smoker, and have been having good luck with TBS if I leave the chip loader out because it creates much better airflow. I found this out while making jerky, so drying the meat out is the key there. My question is will too much airflow going through the smoker dry the pork shoulder out quicker?

My last shoulder was 8# and this one is a 11.5# shoulder. I smoked for 6 hours at 275 and 180 IT, then foiled and let IT rise to 205. Cooler for 2 hours and pulled. Came out great. I didn’t use a finishing sauce however, which I plan to this time as well (SoFlaQuer) I am cooking Monday morning to be eaten Tuesday. I plan to smoke at 225-250 until 165-170 IT then foil until 205. I want to boil water and “preheat” the cooler so that I can let the pork sit in the cooler for a few extra hours before being pulled. Then plan on spreading pulled pork out in foil pans and refrigerating until 2 hours before ready to serve and then heat in the oven and use finishing sauce and defatted drippings. Does this sound like a good plan? Any tips?

Thanks in advance!!

We have many members that take out the chip loader and they don't seem to have any problems with things drying out. On top of that it's hard to "dry out" a butt as they have such a high amount of fat in them. Your plan sounds good and should work great, Mix the finishing sauce in just before the reheat and pull the foil tight back over the pan when you put it in the oven. Good luck and don't forget the Qview

Never had issues with thick cuts drying out in any of my MES units. Most are marbled with enough fat that it helps in keeping moisture in it. Plus you are going to foil so that is going to help keep moisture in also. My units have really good air flow since the mods done and use a separate fire box. Never been an issue with drying out meat. I also use the water pan filled at times. That helps to. But I have had great success filled or not.
Good smoking and Merry Christmas.

Before I found SMF.com, I was not aware Pigs have two Butts.
One is in my Hammy, the other is in Boston.
One drawn out piggy!

When I smoke stuff like butts, turkeys etc... after the smoke has been applied... usually 3-4 hours, I close down the exhaust 90% or so to slow or almost stop the air flow.... then I crank up the smoker temp and use it like an oven...
Air flow will cause case hardening... ie bark.. and could suck out moisture before you get a good bark....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky