Wife's first fatty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very nice. Kudos to the Mrs. on that weave. For a first one, she sure looks like a pro. Enjoy, and Happy New Year. :points:

Mark

Nice fatty for a new years dinner. Fantastic! 
icon14.gif

icon14.gif

Is this "fatty" a thing?  Any background?
LOL it's totally 'a thing', enough that there is a 'fatty sticky' here :

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/184/fatty-sticky

It's a great way to use up whatever you have kicking around in the refrigerator.

We like some veggies and cheese, some peppers, and we usually use italian sausage for the meat, usually made from wild game.  I have used cured meats before, when I want to finish to final internal temp in my smoker, which doesn't get that hot.  Otherwise, uncured and finish in the oven.

Very nice. Kudos to the Mrs. on that weave. For a first one, she sure looks like a pro. Enjoy, and Happy New Year.
points.gif

Mark
Thanks very much, she definitely knows how to handle bacon !  I'll tell her you said so.  Happy New Year to you and yours as well.

Wow looks good, I may have to try one.....
What's taking so long ?  You won't regret it.

Nice fatty for a new years dinner. Fantastic! 
icon14.gif

icon14.gif
Thanks a lot !

Sorry to hijack your thread. Just amazed and want to try asap cause this looks AWESOME.  So the concern with temp is the raw meat inside as it would cook longer than the bacon correct??? How do you ensure proper temp????

Sorry to hijack your thread. Just amazed and want to try asap cause this looks AWESOME.  So the concern with temp is the raw meat inside as it would cook longer than the bacon correct??? How do you ensure proper temp????
No worries.  In my case, my smoker will not get hot enough to take the sausage meat from refrigerator temperature to 140 degrees in less than 4 hours.  So what I normally do is smoke at 225 for 2 or 3 hours, then transfer to the oven @ 350 for about 1\2 hour or until the internal temp is 165.  (If I am using my own wild game, I will usually only bring the temp up to 150 max)  If I am using cured meat, the 40-140 in 4 hours is not an issue, so I can leave it in the smoker until the temp is correct.  I will usually finish in the oven anyway, to crisp\firm up the bacon a bit.  The way to make sure of your temps is to use a meat thermometer, there's lots out there, I am using a Maverick 735 with 2 probes, one for the meat, and one to verify smoker\oven temps.  The bacon will cook quicker than the inside meat for sure, and finishing in the oven makes sure it's just a tiny bit crispy.

Last question - how do you roll or fold or weave the bacon for the sides so everything doesnt fall out?  
Some guys will roll on the diagonal, and fold the bacon up like you would with butcher paper on a cut of meat, but I just roll it straight and kind of pinch the ends in.  Once the bacon gets some heat it will start to shrink up and hold everything tight in place.  You want to leave some room on the edges so that you can close up the meat without your veggies or whatever falling out.  

Reactions: ab canuck
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky