Where do I buy wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have seen bags of chunks sold in stores. If you post something on craigslist, i imagine you could find some split wood.

craigslist is always a good place to start....Also definitely try a few of your local golf courses. Talk to the grounds crew, they're always cutting trees down. The golf course had a ton of split and seasoned wood.

I filled the back of my pickup truck with oak and maple for Free!

I'm in Michigan and usually get mine from dead fall (off the ground). I cruise back roads in my area...identify the right standing trees close to the road and drive by and pick up what ever is laying on the ground...hickory, cherry, oak, maple mainly...l don't get splits but if you're selective you can pick up split sized branches. (2-3 inches in diameter).
Apple is usually had real cheap at any of a number of orchards pretty cheap.
Takes a little advanced planning but I haven't bought smoking wood from a box store in ages.

Walt.

[emoji]129300[/emoji] it was just for a couple cooks maybe this summer. I wanted to just try all wood in my little ECB

Last edited:
I wanted to buy some split hickory or Apple but I only want a few pieces each. Do they sell bags of that stuff?
I have seen at Walmart or even some local grocery stores sell bundles of splits (hickory is popular around here). I got some of the best apple i have ever used from a friend who had a couple apple trees die on him...He ate good for a week... ask around, offer to cook someone ribs or something and people will barter with ya!

Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot etc sell bags of chunks and a few chunks of apple or hickory is as good as a split with a small smoker.

I found my wood supplier on craigslist but he doesn't sell less than 1/2 cord..isn't worth it to him to drive out for less than that. 

Good Luck,

phatbac (Aaron)

Hey Rings, the guy on Craigslist sells splits like you're looking for. Type in barbeque in the Detroit metro area and he will pop up. Reasonable price too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky