Whats your knife sharpener?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gnubee

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 12, 2008
Penticton BC
The thread on Whats your knife got me thinking about sharpening my knives and really I haven't a clue . I have a stone I try to use but am not really any good at it. Sometimes I get a real edge other times its a bit better but not razor sharp.

What do you use and How?

If you are interested in someone showing you the art sharpening your own knives or if you want someone to do it for you, either way you can accomplish this quest by making friends with your local butcher. ask them when would be a good time for them to take 10 minutes to show you, remember their busy hours might not be the ones you think they are.

I fortunately work with food, and I take my knives to work and run them on a 10 tri-stone.

The tri is 3 different grinds.

coarse, only for building a new edge on a knife that is completely ruined.
medium, the main grind, what I use just to refresh an edge on my knife, once every 6months to a year.
fine, this ill give you the polish and make your edge ahrp enough to shave with.

Then there is the Steel, that is the long sword like devise you see with knife sets.

That should be used every time you pick up your knife.

In case your butcher rents their knives allready sharpened here is my best explanation on sharpening.

on your table where you are going to put your stone lay down a dish towell that is slightly damp.

next put your stone on it so it is about 1" from the edge of the table.
long ways.

make sure you have a bit of mineral oil (NOT ANY COOKING OIL) to lubricate the stone.

now for the meat and potatoes.
stand with your feet a bit further than shoulder lenghth apart with a bend in the knee.

hold your knife like you would when you use it then loosen the grip so you are holding the knife firmly but with the tips of you fingers, and guide the tip with your other hand.

Now run the knife starting with the hilt to the tip in one graceful sweep, I shift my weight from one kne to the other so my whole body moves instead of my arms. kinda of like a sumo wrestler. The reason I do this is so I can lock my arms and keep the angle just right throughout the stroke.

I will do 3 to 5 strokeson one side then the same amount of strokes on the other side. calling that as set, I will run 3 to 5 sets or until I feel I have a good edge.

Now lets talk about the steel, pick it up like a sword and put the tip down, and pretend you are slicing thin slices off of each side starting at the hilt and sweeping like a closing gate to the tip. 3 to 5 strokes per side should do. the reason you want to do this every day instead of the stone is that the stone takes off material (metal), and the steel just makes sure that the lead cutting edge is straight. Immagine a microscopic view down the edge of your knife, normal use will curl the edge like an ocean wave, it is still sharp but you are not cutting with the edge. when you use the steel, it should have a nice ringing sound, it is a grinding sound adjust the angle.

good luck,
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

Okay the best idiot proof sharpener I have came from poundland (read 'buckstore').
It's very simple two small pieces of tungsten carbide fixed together with a small v in the middle. You draw your knife through it and it sharpens the knife - really well.

There are numerous variatiions on this theme available - we have both a very expensive one and my poundland special. They both work identically. If anything the poundland one gets knifes sharper.
That I use for kitchen knives.

For my pocket knives I use the diamond file on my gerber.

But I'd recommend a v shaped draw through tungsten carbide sharpener. No special knolege required, very forgiving and just plain works.

Personally I'd avoid electric sharpeners. they tend to grind away more of the blade than necessary.

But you shouldn't have any problem getting a decent drawthrough sharpener. Go either for the diamond or tungsten carbide as they actually cut the steel. Whereas the ones with steel inserts tend to wear away at the same rate as the knife.

I have a four sided diamond 2x6 sharpener it has 200, 300, 400 and 600 grit. I bought from grizzley for about 20 bucks. Nice post by the way.

A steel will often bring an edge back, but ifin it needs ta be sharpened I use a manmade stone, course on one side finer on the other, a few strokes on the fine side should do. Then I have an arkansas stone ta really fine tune it. Grandpa would then use his razor strap to bring it ta the finest edge possible.

I use water on my man made stone an a touch of oil on the arkansas stone.

The steel should be yalls first try as it does not remove metal, it simply aligns the edge that has been rolled over. Never use a motorized sharpener, ya have very little control over them an they can get yer blade to hot an ruin the temper of the metal.

Remember, yall will cut yerself easier with a dull blade then a sharp one!

It takes a little practice ta learn ta sharpen yer knives but is well worth the learnin!

If you already have stones, I would learn to master them, I have a course stone, and a smooth stone, I use circular motion up and down the length of the blade, at first with the smooth stone, and iff that dont get it I will go a few times on each side of the blade and the course stone, then back to the smooth with a little water on it. I put my course stone on the counter when I use it, it is about 8 inches long. But I hold my little smooth stone in just on my fingers. Just easier for me that way and no I havent ever cut myself that way.

I can have a dull knife shaving the hair off of your arm in about 5 minutes.

Listen to what was said above! Personally I use a cross stick from Spyderco (around $50) that works real well for me.

Like stated above I also use a steel each time I pick up one of my good kitchen knives prior to use.

I know you asked about sharpening but to keep your knives in tip top shape they should be hand washed, dried, and put into a block or on a magnetic strip or something similar. Putting them in the dishwasher or loose in a drawer allows the edges to come into contact with things it shouldn't.

p006562sq02.jpg

For me, I am not that talented so I got the 440 at cabela's few months back. I also have befriended the meat man and take my 5or6 blades into him once a year and he put a arm hair removing edge on them.
cool.gif

For sharpening I use the warthog sharpening system for a perfect edge every time> I used to sharpen all my knives by hand using the ceramic tri hone system which is great also but the wort hog if fool prof. I use a steel on my knives EVERY time I pick up a knife to use it and throughout the process of using that knife. I sharpen my knives on the sharpener only once a year and I use my knives every day. You only need to sharpen once a year if you use the steel regularly. Your knife will last a lifetime by either having a butcher or sharpening yourself by hand vs. only a few years using a mechanical grinder to sharpen your blades. the angles are important to keep in mind and having a good quality steel is important too. A steel folks, not a crock stick I have a coarse and a fine steel both made by Mundal and have served me very well. I use the medium steel on a knife that has not been used in a while and is "dull" then use the fine steel to finish up. most house holds only need a fine steel or medium steel. not the two different textures. If i had a way to do video online id to a sharpening video but, have no way to do it, not even a video camera. Smokers and dutch ovens are much more important than a video camera

i use the lansky and can tell ya my knifes are scarey sharp. i gave my hunting knife to a friend to gut a deer and he imediatly cut to far cause he had no idea a kife could be so sharp

triangle ceramic-and always a steel-dull knives ain't allowed in my kitchen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky